Albright Knot Help

11InchBeard

Albright Knot Help

Post by 11InchBeard »

I tied a 4-5 ft. leader of P-Line flouro to 65# Power Pro braid using the Albright Knot. The knot always hung up in the guides. I used the recommended 10 wraps. What was I doing wrong? Do I need to use less wraps or shorten the leader? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
adman

Re: Albright Knot Help

Post by adman »

I don't know what size floro you used but an albright is the smallest knot for that application...unless your using a micro guide rod then forget it. There are a couple of knot tying websites with good illustration of the technique. You can and should trim the tags very close to the knot it doesn't slip.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

adman wrote:I don't know what size floro you used but an albright is the smallest knot for that application...unless your using a micro guide rod then forget it. There are a couple of knot tying websites with good illustration of the technique. You can and should trim the tags very close to the knot it doesn't slip.
That is the truth.
Make sure you wet the knot before you tighten it, and pull on both pairs of lines slowly and evenly. Even if one of the wraps jumps up onto another, the Albright is still thinner than any other knot.
I make the initial loop with the fluoro, wrap the braid around it eight to ten times, and then wet them and draw it down tight.
I trim the fluoro tight, and leave a 3/8" tag on the braid, because it is so limp it doesn't matter, and braid tag ends tend to unravel a bit.
If I'm at all worried, I add a drop of crazy glue on the knot, and roll it between my fingers to make sure it's thin and solid. But I almost never need to glue the knot.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
11InchBeard

Post by 11InchBeard »

I've been practicing this knot with the suggestions posted and also referencing a couple of knot tying sites and I'm still having trouble with it.

I've made the initial loop with the flouro, passed the braid through the loop, wrapped the braid 8-10 times around both the flouro loop and the braid inserted through the loop; and then passed it back through the flouro loop before wetting it and cinching it down. When I test it before trimming the tag end, the flouro slides out of the knot like it was greased.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

11InchBeard wrote:I've been practicing this knot with the suggestions posted and also referencing a couple of knot tying sites and I'm still having trouble with it.

I've made the initial loop with the flouro, passed the braid through the loop, wrapped the braid 8-10 times around both the flouro loop and the braid inserted through the loop; and then passed it back through the flouro loop before wetting it and cinching it down. When I test it before trimming the tag end, the flouro slides out of the knot like it was greased.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
There are a couple versions of the Albright. I had the same results when I tied the version you're talking about, called the Albright Special. I too experienced knot slippage.
This is the bad version:
http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php

The version that works:

http://www.fintalk.com/fishing-knots/albright.html

Rather than wrapping up 8-10 times up towards the loop with the Abright Special, wrap the braid 8-10 times down the double line then wrap it back up against itself another 8-10 times in the opposite direction up the double lines then exit the line out the loop. After that it's the same knot.

To test the knot strentgh, I made a cheap ghetto tool borrowerd from the knot tool at Hi's Tackle box. Rather than wrap the line around your hands and fingers and risking cutting into skin, I took a couple rubber bands and wrapped them over a thick felt marker or high lighter.

After tying the knot, I wrap the tag ends and main lines and leader around the rubber bands and tighted it as it were a dowel. The knot continues to cinch over the rubberbands without slipping. Trim the knots down super close and test the knots again with the rubber bands. If it were going to slip and fail, now would be the time. And instead of a constant pull, I will often test the knot by popping it with slack line.

Another alternative to the Albright knot is the Slim Beauty.
minnkotaman

Post by minnkotaman »

i've been using the blood knot now for several years.
it has failed me yet, go 7 wraps with each line.
http://animatedknots.com/bloodknot/inde ... m#Bachmann
20# magna thin to 20# braid.
adman

Post by adman »

You might want t check and make sure you are bringing the tag, once you do the wraps, back thru the loop in the same direction you put it thru before you started the wrap...that's clear as mud...let's say the loop has 2 sides, a and b. When you started you put the flouro into the loop from the bottom (b), after your finished wrapping take that tag out so that it exits to the bottom. The line in parallels the line out. Jeez this is hard.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Dont use 8-10 wraps, only use 6. Thats what Ive been doing with 65 braid/20 Fluoro and 80/25. Just for piece of mind I put a very small dab of super glue on the braid tag end. Goes through my guides fine.
G-Ko

Post by G-Ko »

Not sure if this helps, but i wrap the fluoro around the braid. I never got a good clean know with the braid around the fluoro. The wraps never seemed to matter on the number as i did anywhere from 6-8 wraps.

Knot holds up well, but moisten and slowly tighten. Make sure that the wraps are good and even and should work well. The tackle tour video or a simple you tube search can help as well. That is what I did.

Greg
Contact me at Kosich & Callahan Insurance for a free quote for home, auto, boat, or Business Insurance.

GKosich@Kosich.com
925-284-3911
11InchBeard

Post by 11InchBeard »

A belated thanks to all who responded to my posts. I don't get on the 'puter regularly and just wanted to make sure you know that I appreciate your help. The sites recommended are were very helpful.

Thanks again.