Multi Task Type Boat - AKA "Fish and Ski"

kwikfish

Multi Task Type Boat - AKA "Fish and Ski"

Post by kwikfish »

I've owned various pure fishing boats for years..... (I learned a long time ago that there is no perfect boat for every situation too.) I have become very accustom to what I like in a fishing boat from handling/boat control to on-board storage, etc.

But, the time has come that I need a boat that is more versatile for the family. And as long as I can still stash a useful amount of gear, rods, etc. I'm good.

I want something more comfortable, smoother riding, lighter/more trailerable up the 'hill', and safer for kids.

I'd appreciate any insight by owners of "fish and ski" type boats, specifically Triton 190 or 192 or Ranger Reata 1850 or Ranger 1860 Angler. (I realize that Triton and Ranger are now owned by the same corporation)

As for recreation, I don't anticipate doing more than pulling a tube full of kids around a lake...... I like the deeper well for young passengers, the full windshield (for the older me), and the deep V too. No more cold delta days standing behind a CC for me!

BTW, I'm not a tournament angler.

Thanks.
mcsanders

Re: Multi Task Type Boat - AKA "Fish and Ski"

Post by mcsanders »

kwikfish,

I have a Reata 185 that I bought new almost 5 years ago. Rather than give a long write up on the forum, PM me and I'll answer any questions you have on the Ranger.

Bottom line though is just what you have already said, there is no perfect boat. The Reata 185 has all the good you expect and all the negative that you expect for a fish/ski. But my Reata has been an awesome boat.

Mark Sanders
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

I was in a similar predicament as you a few years ago. Being in NorCal, I thought there were more months that I'd fish than be using for the family, so leaned more toward the "fish" in "fish n ski". Looked at the Rangers, Tritons, Skeeters and Champions before finding what I thought was the best option for me: a used multi-species boat.

It is great for the family, has plenty of room, but my front deck is big enough for a 7 ft rod to lay flat on it, like a bass boat. they are heavier due to the V-hull and more fiberglass to make it. it has live wells, room for a TM and electronics too. PM me if you want more details.

If you go for the boats you were looking at, the front deck will be shorter. Talk to Mike Von Wagner at the new C&C Marine (formerly Capital City Marine) who can show you these after market devices to hold your rod tips to the side of your windshield and out of your way!!

If you want a fish and ski boat, any of those models will do you fine, though I suspect the Ranger will be heaviest for comparable size.....

good luck.
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

kwikfish,
i used to have a fish&ski. i had the Glastron 205. It was a great fishing boat; even used it for club tournaments. The front deck was plenty big enough to stand on. It was a great ski boat too and quite confortable. the conversion from fishing to skiing was awesome, and most people didnt know it was both. it had a TM and livewells.

i now have a full rigged Skeeter, but i would go back to the Glastron if i wanted that kind of boat again.

Enjoy,

Kopper
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
SpereAuctioneer

Post by SpereAuctioneer »

I also own the Glastron DX205. It is a great family boat with lots of room. For recreational fishing and family fun it can't be beat. My son and I just don't like the vertical rod storage or lack of any formal rod storage. We actually go back and forth on bass boat or our glastron and when it is just the two of us we wish we had the bass boat. When we have Mom or family and friends on the boat we love the Glastron. My .02
Paul
Paul Spere
www.SpereLaw.com
Workers' Compensation, Bankruptcy, Personal Injury
norththird

Post by norththird »

A ski pole, a prop and a bimini top on many bass boats makes a nice fish and ski. Thats what I did. Only bummer is the three person seating.
Still nice to ski behind as most bass boats have a smaller wake than other boats. Have fun!
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

I have a Triton SF21 with 200 hp Optimax. It works great for a family boat. Seats 5 in the cockpit with two small seats in the bow. It is deeper and wider. It was the compromise boat for my wife who wanted the wrap around bench seat in the back and the windshield.

It has a removable ski pylon that fits in the floor locker. It has a combo rod and ski locker I can get 7 to 12 rods in it but they are limited to 6'6" or telescoping. There is enough room beside the passenger seat for a knee board or wake board. The rear fishing deck also has a removable tanning cushion. So If you are going out primarily for a family ski/swim trip you can lounge on the rear deck. You could also put the tube on deck for transport. Lots of storage. I have a deck extension up front to giving me a little more casting deck.

On the downside, only 1 live well but it does have dry storage that could be converted to a second live well. The front deck is a little tight but works. I felt a little cramped with to many rods on the front deck so I build a custom aluminum rod holder that locks in 6 rods with the tips outboard and has accessory storage, drink holder, and light. I also added rod savers to the rear deck for more run and gun rod storage.

Makes a great day boat and on houseboat trips it covers all the bases converting between ski, fish, and cruising very quickly.

This has been a non-paid advertisement. I just enjoy it.
javelin89

Post by javelin89 »

I have owned and appreciated a 17' fish n ski for eight years. It has worked out fine. However, the kids have grown and the boat became too small for our family of 4. Had to get a ski boat this year to make up for space requirements.
Having only one live well can be inadequate when you need to keep a "BIG" fish healthy for weigh in. Also, having a short front casting deck limits fishing space quite a bit, as well as rod storage issues. Maybe a 21' fish n ski w/ 2 live wells would alleviate those drawbacks.
Know anyone that would like to trade a real bass boat for a fish n ski????
kwikfish

Post by kwikfish »

I appreciate all the insightful replies so far......

I realize this is a BASS forum, so I appreciate and understand the perspectives so far....

Since I'm a multi-species-multi type/style-non tournament fisherman, the front casting decks on the Reatas, et. al. are more than adequate. I don't need live wells. Built in coolers are very nice. The bigger cockpit will be safer for my passengers and the windshield is HUGE.... I'm way past using my sunglasses for a wind/bug shield.....

Looking forward to more comments.... especially storage and towing to and from, especially up to Tahoe, etc.
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

Make sure what ever you get is EPA approved for Tahoe. They have very strict requirements. A lot of the Marina's up there will tell you that no outboards are allow which is not true.

I haven't checked in a while but my Opti used to qualify, but I had a private launch try to tell me I couldn't launch.

Just a word of warning.
Norv

Post by Norv »

I have a Triton 190FS and it works great for both general boating and fishing. I chose this boat because it had the low profile of a bass boat plus the quick planing and seating attributes of a ski boat. I removed the rear center seat and replaced it with a hinged aluminum plate and then covered the whole back seat area with rubber matting. This makes it easy to transit to/from the rear deck. I fabricated a quick release for the center seat so that when I want to go boating or skiing I can easily reinstall it. This boat does have a live well, but when I'm boating or skiing I use it as an ice chest.
kwikfish

Post by kwikfish »

I've been putting some heavy thought into my 'next boat'..... Everything from motors to after-market add-ons have been examined....

I've come to understand that aside from the 'bells and whistles', the main difference is the seating configuration.... wide open 4 pedestal seating vs. traditional bench style seating.

I've always been a big fan of wide open boats with uncluttered floor plans, etc. I think this is what drew me towards the Reata 1850RS with the 4 pedestal seats (2 removable or used as fishing seats on bow and stern) leaving a wide open cockpit still leaving two flip up seats in the rear.

I'd appreciate hearing personal pros vs. cons on the two main seating configs.... removable pedestal seats vs. the fixed position bench seating. For example, I can see that having the bench seating makes it easier to get up onto the rear casting deck and that it would be a safer and lower seating arrangement for younger kids, etc. Also, the rear casting deck appears to be bigger when there is the bench seating config.....

I still like having a wide open boat but...... I can see the positives of having the bench seats too.....

Thanks.
Lookin4Bass

Post by Lookin4Bass »

I've owned a Stratos 190 FS with a Yamaha VMax 150 for going on 3 years and have, for the most part been very satisfied with it.

As already noted the space for the second row of seats is taken from the front deck. The back deck on my boat, at 4' x 6' is larger than the decks on the some of the 19' and 20' boats owned by others in our club.

The small front deck is definitely the weak link in the configuration. Like others I run my rod tips alongside the windshield and keep the tie downs hooked when fishing to minimize the likelihood of kicking one off the deck. I typically don't move rods to the deck until I'm on the water as it would be easy to get the tips broken off in a dark parking lot prior to launching.

The Stratos may not share the fit and finish characteristics of the Ranger and Triton (no offense to Stratos owners, I'm very happy with my boat) but it does have large front and rear live wells, a rod/ski locker that will accommodate 9, 7'+ rods and 5 good sized storage compartments.

The rear seats are buckets and sit on a step-up bench. The two outboard seats are removed to use as fishing chairs. When they're out a co-angler has a place to step up to the rear deck (and to run their rods) on either side of the fixed center seat.

Due to the smaller deck and the fact that you have to pass through the windshield opening a F&S wouldn't be a good choice for a big guy. I'm average size and still have to go sideways moving between the butt seat and windshield. You also only get one step to catch your balance before going over the side, something I've yet to, but no doubt will do.

The F&S is a good compromise. If I had the space and $'s I'd still like to have a nice SeaRay as well for days on the lake with family and friends but for now the Fish and Ski works well.

They're not easy to find. I had to go to Phoenix to get ours but it was worth the drive.
kwikfish

Post by kwikfish »

Thanks for the insight. All replies are greatly appreciated. And, yes, these type of boats are hard to find and look at personally.
MIKE VAN WAGNER

Post by MIKE VAN WAGNER »

Give me a call and I can give you some info on the 1850 Reata and I also know were a good used one is.

Thanks
Mike Van Wagner
C&C Marine
7812 Auburn Blvd
Citrus Heights Ca. 95610
916-729-0590