Trolling Motor constantly on high speed

JKitz

Trolling Motor constantly on high speed

Post by JKitz »

Hey guys, I know a lot of motorheads are in this bass forum, so I am posting the question here.

I have a motorguide T82 Digital Trolling motor that now runs constantly on high speed. I have check all the switches and nothing works. Once I flip the on switch on, its high speed all the way. The toggle on the top does nothing and was on "Monentary On" anyways, which is the normal setting for me. I was getting ready to move to a new spot and all of a sudden the damn thing turned on and would not turn off until I pulled the plug or turn the side switch to off. I cannot afford to send it in and pay to have it fixed, so anything I can look at would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to have to knock the dust off my golf clubs because my trolling motors like to stay on high!! It's swimbait time and I want to be a part of it.

Thanks in advance fellas!!
Rob Dickson

Re: Trolling Motor constantly on high speed

Post by Rob Dickson »

It's most likely your switch on top your peddle. Actually after rereading your post I may be wrong.
Moose

Post by Moose »

I had the same motor and same issue. Turned out that I had water in the lower unit. I have had that happen a couple of times to my TM. Had it repaired twice. Knock on wood, this last time seems to have gotten the job done.
Keith
Fish Blaster Baits Pro Staff
www.fishblasterbaits.com
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

Moose wrote:I had the same motor and same issue. Turned out that I had water in the lower unit. I have had that happen a couple of times to my TM. Had it repaired twice. Knock on wood, this last time seems to have gotten the job done.
+1
this happen to me 2 times also when i had that mg with the trans in the lower unit, nice but it was a problem
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Had this happen this summer and it was the board.....300$ plus..ouch
http://www.dobynsrods.com
JKitz

Post by JKitz »

Crap.. Sounds like its going to take some $$ not matter which way I can go at it. I just bought the damn thing off of craigslist over the summer.

Thanks guys. If you see a tracker 185 flying around on a trolling motor on high at DVL, dont get pissed, its just me and I am too poor to buy a new one!!
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

If you have a digital motor the SE Module has burned out the Mod. is $165 dollars. The SE Mod is located in the motor itself. If you decide to replace it make sure you replace the seals on all four bolts and the two orings. You will also need heat sink for the module before you put it in.
Kevin Evans - Kap

Post by Kevin Evans - Kap »

A pronto diagnosis from the Man always willing to help.... :)
Gene Buchholz wrote: you have a digital motor the SE Module has burned out the Mod. is $165 dollars. The SE Mod is located in the motor itself. If you decide to replace it make sure you replace the seals on all four bolts and the two orings. You will also need heat sink for the module before you put it in.
If you have a digital motor the SE Module has burned out the Mod. is $165 dollars. The SE Mod is located in the motor itself. If you decide to replace it make sure you replace the seals on all four bolts and the two orings. You will also need heat sink for the module before you put it in.

Kap
You cant fix stupid, but you can vote it out...
Schneider Fishing

Post by Schneider Fishing »

I had a similar issue. Happened when the foot pedal got wet in the rain. I had to replace the switch on the pedal. I'd call TMD and tell him what's going on. He may have a suggestion or at least he'll have the part or can order it for you. Best of luck.
Robert Schneider
My wife is my real sponsor

www.PhenixBaits.com
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Similar but different....I could only run on HI BYPASS. I took a shot that it was the potentiometer and got a new knob and another switch. I Un soldered the old one and on with the new and I was back in action. I hope you can talk your way through the problem with your local repair shop and for me that was the Trolling motor doctor....But Gene's word is good as gold. :mrgreen:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
JKitz

Post by JKitz »

Thanks you guys. I will give TMD a shot. I guess I have to save some $$ because it sounds like its going to cost a couple hundo at least. I am just bummed, but now I guess its time to do a thorough inspection on the entire boat and get it up and running before my swimbait season at DVL ends (I know some fish them all year round there, but I am not one of the 20+ baggers each day there)... Looks like I am hitting the links until then (fortunately I know someone that gets me on a course for free).

Thanks again for all your help, and one angler on the water reminded me what B.O.A.T stood for again...

"Break Out Another Thousand!!" At least I got a laugh for that!! But don't have the thousand to mend the wounds!!

One more thing. can someone post TMD's number?
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

TMD is in Lakewood, Ca. Here is his PH# 562-988-9444
JKitz

Post by JKitz »

Thanks Gene. Just got off the phone with TMD and the diagnosis is the same that you came up with. Probably a shorted module in the lower unit. Got an estimate of about $300. Damn, what a bummer!!

Thanks everyone for all your help and we will see where if goes from here
JKitz

Post by JKitz »

UPDATE:

I took everyone's advice and went to the Trolling Motor Doctor. I dropped the motor off last Wednesday and by Thursday Morning I got a call saying that the motor was finished and ready to roll :D :D :D . Talk about fast service!!! I also noticed that he did some extra maintenance on the motor without charging me extra. I am so grateful for having an expert in trolling motors within a 100 miles from my house (which wasn't too bad on the commute). I got home and hooked the Trolling motor back up and was on the water on Friday and Sunday without a single issue (except for the fact that I am still a Sh$tty bass fisherman, I might need to get some help there as well).

If anyone needs some help with their trolling motors, I HIGHLY recommend the Trolling Motor Doctor in Lakewood. Top Notch and super cool people...