Is there a truly waterproof sock that doesn't suck?

jazzwannabe

Is there a truly waterproof sock that doesn't suck?

Post by jazzwannabe »

I've heard about SealSkinz and some others, but the reviews I've read are generally bad. I just want something for fishing in the rain, in a boat, not wading in streams or anything like that. Any suggestions?
Golden Empire Bass Club
Leon Pugh

Re: Is there a truly waterproof sock that doesn't suck?

Post by Leon Pugh »

I have a pair of gortex socks I got from Cabellas that you can wade a creek with, they are thick you may need shoes with some xtra clearance.
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I don't know what negative comments you have heard, but I have a couple pair of SealSkinz socks and I use them for the exact purpose you stated. I wear a pair of WickDry socks under them and I my feet stay both warm and dry in the wetest/coldest weather. The two layers can make a pair of snug shoes a bit uncomfortable, so you might need to make an adjustment on your shoes/boots to accomodate the extra girth. I have the mid-calf version and at times I wonder if the longer style would have been even better. I hand wash mine and after dozens of uses they show absolutely no wear and tear. They are a little pricey, but I found them on EBay for about 50% of retail.
Tree
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

One thing you might consider is buying some Gortex shoes, and wearing soft wool socks. Wool stays warm even when it's wet, and the Gortex shoes should keep the socks dry, anyway.
Here are some affordable Gortex shoes from Cabela's that are very comfortable, and not too pricey:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.c ... &x=22&y=13

I wear them in the rain, and my feet stay dry and warm, if I wear the wool socks, too.
Good wet traction, and good for a touchy back, too.
The sizes run small. Normally I wear a 9 1/2 D, but I order a 10 1/2 D in these shoes.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Fast 492

Post by Fast 492 »

Seal skins by far. Just get a pair of shoes 1/2 size bigger than what you normally wear and you will be fine.

Jason Bubier
The only sport besides golf that you can only blame yourself !!!

Jason Bubier-Director
NorCal90 Fishing
WildWestBassTrail, CA
530-230-8868
530-589-2601
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

I'm with Jason & Tree! I too certainly don't know who, what, why or where ya got the bad reports from in regards to Seal Skins, cause I have had two pairs I bought over 15 years ago. One pair is waisted for when it rains, but only because my lab puppy got ahold of em last year. I still wear them for added warmth on winter days when it is not raining, but very cold. The second pair, is still keeping my feet dry and warm to this day.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

bassdaddy wrote: I have the mid-calf version and at times I wonder if the longer style would have been even better. Tree
Tree, I have one set of each, and really can't say that I've come accross where one is really that more advantageous over the other. The longer version, will certainly add a little more warmth up the leg versus the short pair. As well as I guess if ya had ta jump in the water at the ramp to adjust yer boat or something, it does protect ya further up the leg as well from getting wet and will afford ya to venture an extra 8 inches deeper on the ramp. Neither of which I think makes much of a difference in choosing one over the other
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

I love my Seal Skinz as well. I have an insulted pair and an uninsulated pair and I would not give them up. I also recently started wearing a pair of wicking socks under them to keep my feet from getting clammy, although not as much with the uninsulated ones.
bump

Post by bump »

Well you know you can down down to home depot and pick up some "Plastic dip" and apply it directly to your feet, That'll keep em dry... LOL
Just kidding and yes seal skins are the bomb
When I grow up I want to be just like buckbass
Fast 492

Post by Fast 492 »

Plastic Dip, that was great one. I needed that this morning :lol: :lol:
The only sport besides golf that you can only blame yourself !!!

Jason Bubier-Director
NorCal90 Fishing
WildWestBassTrail, CA
530-230-8868
530-589-2601
jazzwannabe

Post by jazzwannabe »

jazzwannabe wrote:I've heard about SealSkinz and some others, but the reviews I've read are generally bad. I just want something for fishing in the rain, in a boat, not wading in streams or anything like that. Any suggestions?
I did some searching and found a lot of reviews on the Web by hikers, etc., but not by bass anglers. Many of them said the socks don't really keep water out or that they ripped or fell apart.
Golden Empire Bass Club
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

jazzwannabe wrote:I did some searching and found a lot of reviews on the Web by hikers, etc., but not by bass anglers. Many of them said the socks don't really keep water out or that they ripped or fell apart.
Well, that certainly would cause me concern if I was a hiker. No doubt, the riggors they put their equiptment thru, is hard tested 10 fold versus us fisherman. Kinda be like though, what we might expect from an NBA player, who field tested a pair of Converse canvas tennies.

Rest assured Jazzy, Seal Skins are used by a lot of bass fisherman, we love em, they do keep our feet dry & warm and we highly recommend em cause they git the job done.
kopper_bass

A Coochy type-o or Freudian slip? you decide!

Post by kopper_bass »

"Rest assured Jazzy, Seal Skins are used by a lot of bass fisherman, we love me, and highly recommend em cause they git the job done."

hehehe! - we love you to Cooch! :D

Kopper
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
Cooch

Re: A Coochy type-o or Freudian slip? you decide!

Post by Cooch »

As BDO would say, you PRICK! Prolly the only one who caught that before I could edit it myself! LMAO!

You musta been LYAO, it took ya 5+ minutes ta re-post it after my correction! HAR! HAR! HAR!
jazzwannabe

Post by jazzwannabe »

Thanks, Cooch and everyone else.
Golden Empire Bass Club
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Seal Skins are 100% waterproof. I have wore them for years and they are great!
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

Instead of the waterproof socks just get some good water proof boots. Look at cabelas and get some waterproof hunting boots. They are very comfortable, waterproof, keep ur feet warm and allow ur them to breathe. Plus you can use the boots for many different applications and they come in different levels of thinsulate so you can use em in snow or freezing conditions like Shasta in january and still keep ur feet warm while standing.

Scott
"Jig fish are big fish"
Marc

Post by Marc »

I have had my uninsulated SealSkinz since they were first made, and living in Washington they get worn on every trip from Dec through April, and many other times. Still work perfectly.

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

ScottyJ wrote:Instead of the waterproof socks just get some good water proof boots. Look at cabelas and get some waterproof hunting boots. They are very comfortable, waterproof, keep ur feet warm and allow ur them to breathe. Plus you can use the boots for many different applications and they come in different levels of thinsulate so you can use em in snow or freezing conditions like Shasta in january and still keep ur feet warm while standing.

Scott

I got a good pair of boots at big 5 for 20 bucks..... they have worked great.
FishDiver

Post by FishDiver »

jazzwannabe wrote:
jazzwannabe wrote:I've heard about SealSkinz and some others, but the reviews I've read are generally bad. I just want something for fishing in the rain, in a boat, not wading in streams or anything like that. Any suggestions?
I did some searching and found a lot of reviews on the Web by hikers, etc., but not by bass anglers. Many of them said the socks don't really keep water out or that they ripped or fell apart.
I have a pair of Cabela's non-insulated gore-tex socks I bought 15 years ago. I bought them initially for fishing after my waterproof boots failed during a heavy storm. The socks are so tough I used them for trail running for a few years. They must have several hundred miles on them. I don't think you could wear them out bass fishing. They are a bit thick, but add so much warmth that I wear them with a thin sock and cheap sneakers all winter. Warm, dry and cozy.
TomL

Post by TomL »

Seal Skinz are the real deal. You can wear them with any shoe - Keep a pair in the boat for emergency purposes and a pair at home. They are quite a bit less expensive than any worthwhile waterproof boot and much more comfortable.

People use them for -
- Skiing
- Extreme Adventure Running and Biking
- Fishing
- golfing
and much much more.

And the Seal Skinz Gloves are pretty amazing as well. The only gloves where your hands don't get wet and they aren't 1/2 inch thick. In fact, you can wear them fishing, golfing anything outdoors and wet!

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdanalco1.html

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdanalcowb.html

I bought a pair when I first started working at my current job at the recommendation of a co-worker and I haven't looked back. Dry feet are a must when fishing.... dry hands is a definite plus as well!
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

Fast 492 wrote:Seal skins by far. Just get a pair of shoes 1/2 size bigger than what you normally wear and you will be fine.

Jason Bubier
Agreed
AMATEURS work until they get it RIGHT..
PROFESSIONALS WORK until they CAN'T get it Wrong..