Cold weather gear Question.

RougeBass

Cold weather gear Question.

Post by RougeBass »

I had cancer in 2007 and after going through treatment and surgery the only after affect i have is my hands and feet get extreamly cool very easily. I have the 100 mph gear from bass pro but I was wondring what some of you use for cold and rainy weather on your feet and hands, trying to stay away from big gaint snow boots. Those of you who fished the WON Pro/Am at Shasta last April know what weather I am talking about. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
scottsweet

Re: Cold weather gear Question.

Post by scottsweet »

For boots, I like the rain boots from Cabelas and for you maybe the lined ones. Get good wool socks to go with em.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... %3Dproduct
OR
Cabela's Professional Outdoor™ Footwear Insulated 8" Double-Gore Pull-On: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... 53Dproduct

For hands, that is a challenge. To stay warm, you have to wear gloves...to fish...its hard to fish with gloves :). I have the wool gloves with the finger tips missing. You can get them with or without a mitten foldover. When you are at Shasta, stop at Phil's Propeller and get the mittens they sell. They are about 100, but VERY VERY warm.

Key thing to remember, wool will keep you warm whether it is wet or dry. It is the only fabric with those properties. The synthetics are very good, but they have to stay dry.

Hope that helps.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
TomL

Post by TomL »

Seal Skinz gloves and socks - Keep a pair in the truck and a pair in the boat and your hands and feet will be warm and dry - period.

Wear the socks with any shoes... and the gloves you can actually fish in if you want. Tough to tie knots and sometimes the hooks of your baits get stuck in them - but, worth it for warm hands and feet.

We sell a lot of them to hunters and anglers.
Lynne

Post by Lynne »

I have heard and seen several of the anglers wear rubber gloves (like the kind that they use in the hospitals) UNDER their wool fingerless gloves. This way they can keep their hands dry and out of the wind and yet they can still tie and fish.

CONGRATS on being a survivor.

Best to you this winter.

Lynne Peterson
ripb8ts

Post by ripb8ts »

Rogue, buy some "Heat Factory" packs and wristbands at a local sports store. Keep the heat packs under your wristbands,along with some decent gloves, will keep warm blood flow to your hands. As for your feet, you could do the same, put some heat packs at your ankles in your socks. Or buy a good pair of warm boots. Ugg Boots, ugly and funny looking but, will definitely keep your feet plenty warm. They are comfortable too! Hope this helps.
JD
RougeBass

Post by RougeBass »

bump
FSHRFWL

Post by FSHRFWL »

Try the Under Armour liner gloves. No problem using a baitcaster with them. Not super warm on real cold days buy you can put a pair of fingerless over them
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

I agree with Scott on the wool. It's bulkier than some of the newer stuff, but it keeps you warm! I was amazed at how easy it is to cast with the wool gloves on, without cutting the thumb tip off. I didn't think it would work very well, but it is not a problem for me.

I use the seal skins with wool socks as a liner on my feet, with tennis shoes. I will admit that it's not perfect. My feet sweat and it seems to get trapped which will put a little chill on my foot bones, but I prefer them to the heavy boots. I have the seal skins without the built in liner, I wonder if the ones with the liner would add any warmth?

This cold weather has to give a little bit, and soon I hope! Way colder than usual!

Good luck out there.
I had to come back...I know...
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

Was at Big 5 and they had some hand warmer for $1.00 which was 2 to a pak. Gave it to the g/kids as the kids are out there watching their brother playing soccor and it gets cold just watching. It cost $1.00 for a 2 pak and it last for 6-7 hours. It's not a liquid and once you open it , it's activated when comes in contact with air. It don't get really hot so no worry about getting burn.so you can slip one in by your ankle or both and one your pocket.
backseatfishergirl

Post by backseatfishergirl »

I have some gloves that have a little pouch for those heat packs they work than when I just stuff them into my regular gloves cuz my hands dont get so sweaty...still had to cut fingers out thou

Somebody gave me wool socks that are heated and run on a 9volt hvent tried em yet - dunno how that will work...maybe I will get electrocuted???

have some below zero boots but I have never been below zero and my feet still freeze to numbness so I wouldnt suggest these.
afchris

Post by afchris »

Rouge,
I'm a native of the mid west so I have fished in some pretty bone chilling
temps. For the boots, Cabelas usually has a boot on sale named the
"Snow Runner" extremely light and warm. Think I picked up my pair
for 50 bucks. For the hands I always bring multiple pairs of liner gloves
and one outer pair. Ones mentioned above work well. I like the under
armor ones or fleece. When the get wet, swap em' out. Good luck!!!
Air Force Chris

My good friend chasing his dream....
[u]http://teampartak.webs.com/[/u]
Brian

Post by Brian »

Check out Muck Boots for your foot wear........... very warm and dry and comfortable.

http://muckboots.com/outdoors.htm
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
Brian

Post by Brian »

And for your hands, you might want to check these out........

http://www.thenextbite.com/node/17188

-John Wayne[/color]
Brian

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote:And for your hands, you might want to check these out........

http://www.thenextbite.com/node/17188
they have them here too......
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/f ... x?a=710623

-John Wayne[/color]
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Seal Skinz and wool socks fer the feet fer sure.

Last year I picked up a pair of Filson, http://www.filson.com, Merino Wool gloves, although pricey for fingerless wool gloves @ $13.99, these have been the most awesome pair of wool gloves I have purchased to date. My hands stay much warmer, wet or dry, they have a much tighter fit and are not cumbersome on my hand and they are far more durable in that they don't seem to snag hooks as easily and rip, nor do the wear down like regular wool from day to day fishing. $2.99 Hand warmers from Wallyworld in the palms keep em nice and comfy on those freezing mornings here!