Horrible news for Loberg

Robert F

Horrible news for Loberg

Post by Robert F »

Had the weight. They weighed him in and told him he was in top 5. Then they tell him he and Johhny B checked in late.
swordfish

Re: Horrible news for Loberg

Post by swordfish »

Man that is some bad news the kid caught em good too 8 plus yesterday and 5plus today top five for sure just a kid @17 we will see more of him in the future. Best wishes to ya in the future kid you are a stick.
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Definitely sad. Always hold on to your previous day weigh slip. You can confirm the check in time. I have been out there and had boaters think flight was off from reality. Pretty sure I brought my boat in 15 EARLY once myself. Luckily I was early.
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

What? Tournaments are not all peaches and cream? Better to find that out at 17 than 40.
DBASSKING

Post by DBASSKING »

Thats what happen's when you play with the big boy's,hero one day and ZERO the next!!!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

This was terrible. He is a very nice young man and we will see more of him for sure. I feel bad for you bud, not sure what happened but we all know you caught them. I will be calling in the next day or two..so get tough so I can beat on ya!! :) :)
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

DBASSKING wrote:Thats what happen's when you play with the big boy's,hero one day and ZERO the next!!!
Mistakes happen in bass fishing tournaments. How you handle them determines whether you are a Hero or a Zero. Loberg is definitely a Hero.
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Sounds like the kid is a stick. He should go to the front of the boat instead of putting his fate in another anglers hands. Start em young. Bummer for sure. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Rick G wrote:Sounds like the kid is a stick. He should go to the front of the boat instead of putting his fate in another anglers hands. Start em young. Bummer for sure. Rick G.
No doubt he knows how to catch a spotted bass on a lake that he is familiar with. Roosevelt will be a test.

As far as "putting your fate in other's hands" that's just an ignorant comment. He had the check-in time just like Johnny did. He could have shown john the text and confirm the check-in time. He will learn, and others will as well, by this incident.

Kramer has it right, though I thought I was the Dalai Lama of negativity, tournaments are not always going go the way you hope they will.
TomL

Post by TomL »

Guys, he's just a kid - he's not a seasoned veteran of the back deck. I don't know many kids that will tell their pro what to do. My guess is he just showed up with his rods, put his head down - stroked the fish and left the pro alone to do his thing. Most assume that if the guy on the front on the boat is a pro - they know what they are doing. It's not until you've done it for a wile until you know that isn't always the case.

It's definitely a shame how it all went down. I spoke to him just after he found out, I told him he did a great job and he should keep his head up and know what a great job he did. He was in a really sad state at the time. I am guess we'll be hearing his name for many years to come.

I am sure John feels as bad or worse than anyone for the kid. No doubt it was simply an accident. Unfortunately, stuff happens and we just have to deal with it and move on. A lot worse could have happened out there. The way I see it, the youngster lost a little money - but, won in the way of learning. He'll probably never be late in a tournament again - front seat, back seat or in a row boat - he'll remember the lesson for as long as he continues to enjoy our sport.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Straight up Tom.

He is with a guy that has fished the Tour and been on the front of the boat for years. Who would think to question that experience? Hopefully EVERYBODY on the back realizes these guys can make a mistake and help out by confirming check-in times. You see it in the pairings text, you hear it at boat check and you hear it at take-off. To think that you do not have a voice out there, especially in the Everstarts wher you can even suggest fishing patterns and areas, is uninformed.

Johnnie had the weight to make a check too. He didn't want to be late either. My understatnding is both discussed the time at take-off as well. Just came to the wrong conclusion.
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Rick G wrote:As far as "putting your fate in other's hands" that's just an ignorant comment. He had the check-in time just like Johnny did. He could have shown john the text and confirm the check-in time. He will learn, and others will as well, by this incident
Robert, we just have different opinions of how young "up and comers" should get their start. When you are a boater, you just have to think about your fishing day different than a backseater and accept the responsibility that comes with it. My point, however ignorant you think it is, start them in the front, if they have the resources, and let them learn the right way if their ultimate goal is to be a touring pro. It sounds from what I hear is that the kid has the tools. This is a young mans game Robert where the bulk of the superstars are 21-40. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

When my son was interested in the game but fishing out of the back my advice to him was good or bad experience, there is something to learn from every boater you ride with.

To throw a 17 year old kid out to fish against Cody Meyer is foolish. He should ride with Cody and see how he makes his decisions and responds to the dynamics of tournament fishing. Why did it take so long for Kyle to make the jump? He was "of age" years ago. Fishing out of the back (also might want to look back at the guys that have been there) is a great skill building experience.

You HAVE to adjust to what you are given rather than dig in to your one dimensional ways. Agreed this is a young person's sport. Is it also a sport that we should expect to throw newbies to the lions?
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

My point is that if the kid was a trained No. Cal spotted bass killer, turn em loose on the field. He will be better off for it in the LONGHAUL. My dad and grandad who was a Licenced Striper guide on the Chesapeake Bay taught me how to fish. It took me untill I was about 14 to surpass them in bassfishing skills. It has taken Kyle a little longer than that pass me, and he is now more skilled than I am at certain things and if he can afford it, has the skills and talent to be a great pro level fisherman. But I never wanted his "experience" to be in the hands and fate of someone else, at the Pro level. He fished the Open, as a boater at 18. Got his *** kicked, but learned "His way". The experience, good or bad, for most of those Shasta or Mead or Pickwick or wherever backseaters are in the hands of the Pro's they get paired with and if they are on the fish or not. At no point in time has Kyle ever said to me, maybe I will go as a Co this year dad. I dont recall ever seeing Richard Dobyns, as a Co, as I feel sucure in saying he used his given talents and desires to want to forge his own Western Bass fishing legacy. Kyle had never even seen Shasta untill the practice period, and had a shot at the finals going into day 2 and poor execution on his part, [his words], kept him out. Great learning experience for him though and he was stocked he cashed a check in his first FLW event. Ask Brent when you see him on Tour if he likes to win. The answer will be yes, and he is even more PO'd if he makes the cut and does not win, than not even getting a check. Winners mentality is what I have tried to instill in my boys in life and fishing. Great new website, btw and I wish you success. Rick G.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Thanks for checking out the site Rick.

And yes, he may be ready in catching skills but tournament decision skills (like clock management) are another matter. Few 17 year olds have the abilities to play the mental game with the top players.

The part about boaters being around the fish (or not) is one of the greatest parts of being a co-angler. Sometimes you get to see amazing decision making skills in action, sometimes you see a total fail. Every one of those experiences is a lesson.

The biggest lesson I have learned is how to adjust and become a more versatile angler. I have been forced by my boater to change my gameplan because they are doing what I wanted to do or are fishing water that doesn't fit my gameplan. It gives you confidence that you CAN make a change and have success instead of meltdown, like some boaters I have rode with, when a pattern doesn't pan out.

IMO they should make experience a requisite in fishing as a Pro. Really become a pro instead of just put up money.

BTW Kyle did a great job. Those spots are tough to figure out. To never have seen the lake and do that well is something to be very proud of.
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Man, that would suck!!!! On my way home hoping I climbed into a check I had the computer on listening to the weigh-in's (yeah I know I shouldn't have the computer on while driving) I heard he had got into the top 10 and thought it was cool because I've seen many if not all his youtube video's thus hoped he would do well on his home lake. He did well but rules infractions got him. Sucks but it is what it is. He'll bounce back!! One thing he'll never do again is be late whether he's running the boat or as a Co-angler. It's just an experience that will make him a better angler!! Good job Loberg!! Can't wait to see another video of you weighing in your fish on youtube!!
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley