Rip Bait Rod

Bigfish

Rip Bait Rod

Post by Bigfish »

Guy's,

I'm looking for a Rip Bait rod and being 5'7" tall, my 6'8" Lamiglas rod still feels a tad to long plus it's designed for cranking.
If any one out there has any suggestions I'd rely appreciate it.

Thanx,

Tony
Deejay quick

Re: Rip Bait Rod

Post by Deejay quick »

i love my powel 703 glass rod but it is 7ft not so bad for me at 6'6" but if you want a great rod its the way to go.
www.jdcbaits.com
www.luretamers.com
www.bassanglersfederation.com
www.skeeterboats.com
www.lasvegasmarine.com
www.kaenon.com
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

Typically a crank bait rod is the same type of rod you'd use for jerkbaits. I have a 6'6" rod I used to use and find that a longer more well balanced rod is actually easier than the shorter rod. I'm only 5'9" so I know the feeling of the rod seeming too long but with a more balanced rod you learn to let it do the work for you and just adjust ur rip/jerks to be either more to the side or higher above the water straight in front of u if that makes sense. I've got a dobyns 765cb that I like for both cranking and jerkbaits. They also have a 764 or 704 and 705cb if u want a 7' instead of 7'6".
"Jig fish are big fish"
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Both me and Rich are pretty handy with jerkbaits. Call the rod shop and we can help. 530-671-1989
Beach Steve Biechman

Post by Beach Steve Biechman »

Figure out how you want it and I will build. If you want it 6 '4 13/16" I can build it. My rip rods cost around $200.00. Built just the way you want. Call me 530-604-5277.

Steve
Beach Steve Biechman
R. Duzac

Post by R. Duzac »

Your rod size sounds good too me.
Have you been using it for awhile, if not don't give up on it?

I'm 5'9" and use a G-Loomis Cranking rod that is 6'6" and wish it was the 7' model.
Dobyns does make a rod that would be great, but the one I'm thinking of is a 7' model.
"on my list"

Rene
Riplip

Post by Riplip »

I learned to rip on a Billy Westmoreland spinning rod that was about 5'6" long, when we used to call it "twitchin". I got very comfortable with a shorter rod and for years I used a 6' Shimano and did very well, but I tried a few longer rods and decided to compromise on the 684. I'm 5'8" and the 684 allows me to work the bait without strain and make good presentations quite a distance.

The reel is also very important to the technique of rippin. Back in the day we used spinning reels because casting reels wern't very good with light lines and baits that would tumble in the wind. Matching the right size/weight should be considered when you pick a rod.That technique is somewhat demanding if you rip all day. The right combo will allow you to aggressivley rip without wearing you out.
If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got!

www.californiaresrvoirlures.com
Beach Steve Biechman

Post by Beach Steve Biechman »

The shorter the rod the easier it is to work and the more accurate it is. The longer the rod the longer the cast. Last fall I made up some 8' cranking rods that I took to Clearlake. I used one for ripping a LV500. Before the day was half over I was back down to a 7' rod. I hurt!!! I know I'm out of shape and getting old. The point is if you are getting too much of a workout or you need accuracy use a shorter rod. If you need monster long casts, like Randy Macabee, get a long rod.
I can make a rod most any length you want with most any handle configuration you want and they cost about the same as any production rod for like quality. It may be built just a little better too.
If you want the best rod for the price that fits you call me.
530-604-5277 cell

Steve
Beach Steve Biechman
Bigfish

Post by Bigfish »

This should really help. I love this Forum, every one is willing to take up there personal time to help others.

Thanx allot Guy's.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Tough to beat the Dobyns 704cb for rippin
OG on WB since 1993
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="Mike"]Tough to beat the Dobyns 704cb for rippin[/quote]

I agree. I have a lot of hours on one.