How to fish with high water releases

basstratos

How to fish with high water releases

Post by basstratos »

Went out yesterday and fished the Tract and middle delta but with high water releases, there was virtually no tidal movement changes and the water flow was really moving. Couldn't figure out how to fish when the water was high all day and muddied. What do you throw and how do you fish in this condition?
cib11b

Re: How to fish with high water releases

Post by cib11b »

Honestly? Any search bait that comes to mind!
Ohh son!! That's a 4, 5 ,7 8, 12 punder son!!

2016 Ranger Z175 Lime Green Fusion!
nipples

Post by nipples »

This is when parts of the Delta fish more like a river and less like a tidal estuary. The fish are there, they know the drill, you just have to think like a nightcrawler that was drowned 2 days ago and washed 50 miles downstream. They are bass, and a bass is a bass is a bass... They like to hang in slack water, eddies, and behind structure breaks right next to moving water (think bridge pilings, tulle breaks, cuts, pipes, marinas, etc). Sometimes they like to bury themselves in the junk and just wait for food. They are still very attuned to food and still have incredible eyesight and senses. But in muddy water, fishing loud lures in bright colors tends to help a bit. Make sure your jig has rattles, use brighter or darker patterns, loud crankbaits, spinnerbaits, chatter baits, etc. And don't be afraid to get creative (sometimes the current can work a crankbait for you, and keep it positioned right in front of the slack water/ambush point).

If I had to pick one lure to throw in high muddy river water, I would go with a black jig with rattles and a pork trailer. Second choice would be a spinnerbait. (but I would try everything I know and would start off fishing everything to try to find a pattern)

Good luck.

-Nips-
Do it like no one is watching...
gsc686s

Post by gsc686s »

Get out of the tract, try other areas that are not impacted by the high water release.
DeltaBassBuster

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

Back end sloughs like 14 Mile has been pretty clear and looks to be in good condition, bass are being caught back there. Personally I'd stay out of the big water until conditions improve. Besides the back end sloughs are warming up faster.