The new Ford diesel 6.7 & tranny-any reports yet?

jimmyG

The new Ford diesel 6.7 & tranny-any reports yet?

Post by jimmyG »

Ford started making their own diesel motor and tranny in 2011. Any body have any experience with it yet? Any website where one might go to for consumer reports? In the market for one but I may have to go to Dodge cummings if Ford is not up to par. Any reccomendations for dealers for either Ford or Dodge that is kind to us? Will travel the stae for right deal, however, I live in Sacto. I know its NFR-but if I can save money-more for fishing. Thanks for any replies, Jim.
Team Pollard

Re: The new Ford diesel 6.7 & tranny-any reports yet?

Post by Team Pollard »

Why not think about the Chevy Duramax Diesal, 6.6 L V8...... a real powerful truck, Allison trans. Give me a call at American Chevrolet, I would love to show you the truck and take you out for a test ride.........
American Chevrolet
or send me a p.m....
Gone Fish'n Marine
Fish Hedz
Coldwell Banker
Nitro 901 CDX with Mercury 200 Verado
Mark Pollard
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

For what it is worth I make a living working on these rigs and have historically leaned towards Fords and I would not consider anything but a Duramax at present. The only thing Dodge has to offer is the Cummins Motor which can not stand up to the Duramax. Just 45 years of experience talking.
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
bassaddict707

Post by bassaddict707 »

Powerstrokenation.com Has excellent forums on the new and old engines. Check them out there is pretty good info on there.
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

The Duramax and Allison tranny rules, Cummings builds a good motor but sound like a bucket of bolts. So many good tow rigs out now do you really NEED a diesel ? Great torque and longevity, but costly on fuel and oil changes, bass boats really don't weigh all that much if you are pullin' and stoppin' it with a full sized truck.
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
jimmyG

Post by jimmyG »

OK, here's the full story. I currently own a 2003 Chev crew cab short box with a Duramax/Allison power train w/128,000 miles. I bought it new and have nothing but problems with it to this very day. The check engine light is on now, undoubledly another igniter(Chev doesn't call them glow plugs). I've had to replace 9 of them to this date. Chev realizing their problem, and possibly to avoid the lemon law, extended their factory warranty to 200,000 miles on the igniters only. After that it will cost me $450 to replace one. I also had to replace all the injectors, water pump(leaking), and timing belt before reccomended servicing. The instrument cluster twice and the air conditioner once. I've had the vehicle towed twice.

I will say that when it's not in the dealership's garage, it is a good and powerful truck. I would hope that in 8 years, Chev would have all the problems resolved. If they do, I would buy another one. Right now I don't have the reliabilty and confidence in my 2003. I have two friends with the same vehicle with similiar problems.

I have a self-contained cabover camper and extend a hitch to pull the boat with, hence the need for diesel. That and I don't want to be restricted to what I can tow.

At $55k to buy a truck, what would be your reccomendation be for the least evil of the 3 American trucks, Ford, Chevy or Dodge?

Thank you again for your responses.

Mark PM me your phone number please.
npangler

Post by npangler »

I too have had problems with chevy backing up there product, they often know they have a problem but instead of taking care of the matter and keeping there customer happy they pretend it will just go away with time. I love my truck but am very unhappy with the chevy people.buying a truck is kinda like our political situation allways picking the lesser of two evils. To TEAM POLLARD I say this ; if you want me to buy another chevy get them to reimmburse me $ 2,000 dollars I spent on new heads for a truck with only 65.000 miles on it.Or atleast get your boss to read this thread.then maybe chevy can avoid another " BACKRUPTCY"
Last edited by npangler on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishracing

Post by fishracing »

I have a new 2011 F250 4x4 6.7. I got it in Sept 2010 and have put 15000k miles on it. From the get go i was getting 18.5 mpg, 17.5 when pulling the boat. It has all the power and torq I,ll ever need. I have had zero problems. I did get a letter from Ford which said they would give me more horse power and torq at my next service. To get the best deal possible on a new truck find a dealer who will give the "X" plan.
John Barron

Post by John Barron »

I have been a Ford guys 1987. My son on the other hand wanted Chevy/Dumax/Allison. He has gone thru two of them and is now a Ford guy.
jb
Skeeter Boats
Cousins Fishing Tackle
Ardent Outdoors
Robo Worms
Revenge Baits
Tackle Warehouse
Trapper Tackle
Drifterz Elite Fishing Apparel
Peregrine 250 Boat Cleanung Products
Team Pollard

Post by Team Pollard »

Sorry for some of your guys problems, 65,000 miles on your truck should still be covered. There is a 5 year or 100,000 mile power tran warranty. I have owned a 98 Tahoe ( sold to my brother) never had a problem, pulled the boat all over the place, now I have a 2000 Subarban, good truck, my father has a 2009 Subarban, pulls his 31 ft trailer like a champ, I like Chevy, owned Camaros, El Caminos, and trucks, never had a issue. Some like Ford, I like Chevy, Now i work for them, and it makes me feel like it is even a better product as I learn more about them. Your dealerships should help you with your issues.
Gone Fish'n Marine
Fish Hedz
Coldwell Banker
Nitro 901 CDX with Mercury 200 Verado
Mark Pollard
Brian

Post by Brian »

Thedieselstop.com
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
B Becker

Post by B Becker »

The best motor ever made was the 7.3L power stroke (Ford). Why they ever got rid of it is beyond me!! Just IMHO, I think the Cummings is a great motor (yes, noisy - but who cares), but Dodge's trannys are crap!! (I owned one less than a year and got rid of it). I have heard nothing but good things about the Duramax, until I read this thread, so that is an eye-opener. And I have heard nothing but issues with Ford since they got rid of the 7.3. I like the new 6.7, but I think the jury isn't out yet on it's reliability. You need more than a year to figure out if the thing is issue free. I will never get rid of my 7.3, I will rebuild it when it is time. 250k miles and counting (2000 F250), and not one issue!! (knock on wood) :D . I have only done the brakes on it twice (every 100k), best HD brakes on the market. Just replaced the belt in December. Air condition still spits cold air, never touched it (I live in Vegas!!). I have a Lance camper and pull the boat, so she hasn't been that babied. For a 12 year old truck, I just need a new paint job and some upolstery work. She is the best truck I ever owned. (I owned 4 trucks my whole life: 78 F150 :D , 97 F150 :( , 03 Ram 1500 :cry: 00 F250 :D :D )
Brent Becker

Sponsors:
www.brentbeckerfishing.com
www.skeeterboats.com
www.basspro.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.maxima-lines.com
John Barron

Post by John Barron »

2008 F250 Powerstroke purchased new...........no issues and have towed from day one. Just make sure you service your equipment properly.
jb
Skeeter Boats
Cousins Fishing Tackle
Ardent Outdoors
Robo Worms
Revenge Baits
Tackle Warehouse
Trapper Tackle
Drifterz Elite Fishing Apparel
Peregrine 250 Boat Cleanung Products