Powell rod repair???

cib11b

Powell rod repair???

Post by cib11b »

Well I was excited today to hit the water but pretty mad when my metal eyelet snapped and the plastic insert fell out. Do I have to pay the $40 warranty fee to replace a eye?? I really hope not, I bought this rod new in july of last year it's less than a year old!! What should I do?
Ohh son!! That's a 4, 5 ,7 8, 12 punder son!!

2016 Ranger Z175 Lime Green Fusion!
Mike Tuck

Re: Powell rod repair???

Post by Mike Tuck »

If you're just missing an eye, this stuff will happen with all rods. not really a big deal unless you let it bug you. Most tackle shops will refer you to a local rod repair person if they don't already have someone on staff who handles this service. If you're in the Sacramento area, fisherman's warehouse can take care of this for you. I believe it's like $5 or $7 per eye, but don't quote me.

-Mike
cib11b

Post by cib11b »

Mike Tuck wrote:If you're just missing an eye, this stuff will happen with all rods. not really a big deal unless you let it bug you. Most tackle shops will refer you to a local rod repair person if they don't already have someone on staff who handles this service. If you're in the Sacramento area, fisherman's warehouse can take care of this for you. I believe it's like $5 or $7 per eye, but don't quote me.

-Mike
I don;t know about all rods.. I have had a few Loomis rods for years and years without a single flaw. This rod on the other hand is 9 months old and already flawed. It will bug me missing an eye not only is it an eye sore to me it is annoying. I will e-mail powell and see what they say.

Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

Look man don't take this as a personal thing. I'm just trying to point you to the quickest and easiest fix. which is what it sounded like you were looking for in your first post.

Now on the other hand if you want to compare brands of rods to one another that's a whole different subject. If you spend 169.00 on a Powell you're going to get an excellent rod with a great action that will help you put a lot of bass in the boat. But what you won't get is a $100.00 set of titanium indestructible guides. If you want that rod you're going to have to pony up a little more dough.

Having said that, If you take the matter to Powell directly I am sure you will be happy with the service.

And on a final note I wasn't trying to say not to make a big deal out of missing an eye or how you should feel about it. I was just trying to help. Myself I have probably owned in the neighborhood of 250-300 fishing rods. I got to tell ya they will all have little problems with even normal use as a bass fishermen. We put our equipment to the test every day on the water. Most of the time I can trace back problems with guides to something I did along the way, for middle guides its usually putting the rods in the tubes in too much of a hurry or in the dark, and for the top tip I normally bang those into the ceiling in the motel rooms when I'm re-tying but I don't find out until the next day that I chipped or broke the insert. Sometimes I think the inserts get cracked just from laying on the console and banging around when I'm driving the boat in rough water. I could send rods back under the warranty for any of these problems and I'm sure most any manufacturer would cover it, but most of the time if its just an eye It's cheaper and less hassle to bring it to the local tackle shop and pay them $5-$10 to fix it and take my rod home that day. That's just what works for me.

I hope this helps you get your problems fixed and you enjoy many years of jerking on big bass with your new rod.

-Mike Tuck
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

yeah what he said "Mike Tuck" I have broken ceramics out of rods of all brands - banging out a ceramic is typically not "manufacture defect" its typically due to handeling either on the deck or the mutha EFFEIN rod lockers which I KNOW are designed by rod makers to damage rods :lol: -

its definatly not worth 40.00 warranty on an entire rod or something to get one twisted - I use THE GEE SPOT at Sacramento Pro Tackle to handel these types of maintenance issues, 7 -8 bucks and your done.
cib11b

Post by cib11b »

It broke while swinging a small fish in the boat. It could have been damaged earlier.. Anyone recomend a good and affordable rod repair person/place in or near Yuba City ?

Rich reeser

Post by Rich reeser »

Oroville outdoors is right down the road , Give them a call I'm sure they can point you in the right direction of someone close by