Quaggas at Diamond Valley Lake? Do you think they’d tell us?

Brian D.

Quaggas at Diamond Valley Lake? Do you think they’d tell us?

Post by Brian D. »

Kramer puts on his SPF-50 UV gloves and throws down with the MDW.

"divers used by the Metropolitan Water District–have admitted to cleaning quaggas out of underwater pipes at Diamond Valley Lake"

"MWD has been anti-recreation from the beginning."

Read it here...

http://kramergonefishing.com/2011/05/23 ... then-what/
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Ringer

Re: Quaggas at Diamond Valley Lake? Do you think they’d tell

Post by Ringer »

I said it a year ago. You will have mussels in every body of water that they can survive in. Typical beaurocratic scam to make you jump through hoops and create a whole new taxing authority. Want to bet you will be paying the fees for mussels long after you find them in every lake? I would dive every lake and check rocks for mussels then go to G&F and ask them to explain the continued harrassment.
BIG BAIT

Post by BIG BAIT »

I have always wondered why lake employees get there at 4:30 am but they can't get the lake open until a half hour after sunrise and close with 2 hours of daylight left? Turns out they blame it on the kangaroo rat? ARE YOU SERIOUS?????
Topwater Terry

Post by Topwater Terry »

Of course they are anti fisherman and recreation. My buddies dad was the main water quality chief for MWD till he retired a few years ago. He personally went to the big cheeses in Sacramento before DV opened and explained all about boat engines, how 2 strokes were fine, MTBE was not going to be in the fuel anymore, ect...the response from the folks in Sac Town? "We don't care, we don't use boats." Talk about stupid, I personally don't do a lot of things, doesn't mean those things should be banned!
smpboy

Post by smpboy »

if this is true then we could sue for harassment and not letting people fish when turned away would be a violation of fg game code
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

How could a lake that is downstream from infestations on the Colorado River, and which was initially filled with water from the Colorado River, have expected to remain mussel-free?
I'm sure Mike Guisti could shed the light of truth on this whole sordid mess.
If DVL is truly infested already, heads should roll somewhere both for allowing it to happen, and for covering it up.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

Come on Quinn....you always post on here. What's the "official" scoop?
Garrettt

Post by Garrettt »

what if the quagga are already there? Stop the boat inspections? Then, instead of 5 boats on every spot we can have 10!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Well I guess we will all find out pretty soon as the lake is almost at full pool and should be coming down soon. If they are on the pipes by the tower they should show on the rocks around that area dont you think? I agree that with them in Skinner it wont be long, but as far as Watergate conspiracy by MWD, I find that very hard to believe. BTW, my son and I have put alot of time on that pond and have never snagged a stick or rock that had any mussels of any kind attatched. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Kwin

Post by Kwin »

PFFFFFFF, OK :roll:
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rick G wrote:Well I guess we will all find out pretty soon as the lake is almost at full pool and should be coming down soon. If they are on the pipes by the tower they should show on the rocks around that area dont you think? I agree that with them in Skinner it wont be long, but as far as Watergate conspiracy by MWD, I find that very hard to believe. BTW, my son and I have put alot of time on that pond and have never snagged a stick or rock that had any mussels of any kind attatched. Rick G.
That just shows you guys can't fish! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Have you ever fished El Cap? Every square inch of rock and under water bush is covered with barnacles, all the way up to the water line! IF DVL had them you would not be able to hide the fact, not for long.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Otay Michael wrote:Have you ever fished El Cap? Every square inch of rock and under water bush is covered with barnacles, all the way up to the water line! IF DVL had them you would not be able to hide the fact, not for long.
Michael,
How has the affected the water clarity, and the fishing?
CLEAN AND DRY
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Almost Diamond Valley clear as of late, which is unusual for El Capitan. The fishing was stellar before I left for China a month ago, but I just got back and have not been out. One friend said it died down, but 30 to 50 fish days were common.

So, if I read this right (missed the paragraph on the first read through about Kramer finding out from the divers they are there already) the mussels are down in the pipes, but not up near the shore? Weird. They literally cover every square inch at El Cap, maybe it takes a little time for that to happen, I don't know how long El Cap has had them, a couple of years for sure.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The water has been rising for the past year at DVL so even if they were in there, we wouldn't be seeing them up tight. Wait until the water starts dropping and we will have a good indication if they exist or not.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Kevin wrote:The water has been rising for the past year at DVL so even if they were in there, we wouldn't be seeing them up tight. Wait until the water starts dropping and we will have a good indication if they exist or not.
That makes sense, didn't think of that. It's nice it's been rising, that's for sure. I'm headed out tomorrow, haven't been out for a couple of months, can't wait. Any advice from the regs, please pm me.
Otay Michael

N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

Fortunately or unfortunately the guys at the gate doing the inspections are doing a great job. With the fishing pressure per square foot of drama valley we would be seeing tons of quagga. 4lbs test would be a thing of the past. Having divers cleaning the mussels at drama valley would be equivalent to me stopping all the ants in my backyard with a tooth pic ..... simply not going to happen.
I vote NO not in Domenigoni at this time but they are coming......
Culprits? Those firefighters planes/helicopter that scoop from skinner and drama .......
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

Kevin wrote:The water has been rising for the past year at DVL so even if they were in there, we wouldn't be seeing them up tight. Wait until the water starts dropping and we will have a good indication if they exist or n
ot.
K
Kevin the buoys and the ropes would be littered with the mussels
Garrettt

Post by Garrettt »

N.A.R wrote: drama valley
hahahahahahaha. Perfect name. My bro and I have a spot at DV called pipeline because its always packed with a bunch of grumpy fisherman. Just like grumpy surfers that don't like people surfing there waves.
Mike Giusti

Post by Mike Giusti »

Once again a reporter has been given wrong information. I have checked with MWD and their dive folks and they have NOT SEEN ANY quagga mussels in Diamond Valley. If they were to find them there are laws that require they notify Fish and Game and a bunch of other folk immediately. At this time there has not been any water from the Colorado River put into Diamond Valley since 2006 and the mussels were first found in Lake Mead in January 2007. All the water coming into DVL right now is from the CA. aqueduct. There are mussels in the San Diego Canal which is in front of DVL and in the forebay which is fed by the canal as well as the pumping plant that is used for power generation. The water coming into DVL now does NOT go through the pumping plant. Hopefully with the tough inspections we can keep the mussels out of the lake. If they are found before they bring river water into the lake you can bet the boaters will be blamed. Once they bring water from the Colorado River back into DVL it will likely become infected even with chlorination treatments. Hopefully this will put this issue to rest but it probably won't.
gofish42189

Post by gofish42189 »

Well there ya go. Thanks for that post guisti. I learned a few things from it.
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Off with GK's head!!!! JK
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Yeah Mike, thanks for setting the record straight.
With Pyramid, Castaic, and several other aqueduct lakes planning to do inspections and cabling, will DVL accept the Castaic cable, since they evidently share the same water source?
CLEAN AND DRY
Topwater Terry

Post by Topwater Terry »

LOL, I don't think lake four stroke will accept any other lakes cables...
DL

Post by DL »

mark poulson wrote:will DVL accept the Castaic cable, since they evidently share the same water source?
No, I am waiting for the day they don't even accept their own...
"Feel the steel"