HDS 5 or TM Upgrade???

NitroSport

HDS 5 or TM Upgrade???

Post by NitroSport »

Looking for opinions on which upgrade to go with since I have enough saved for one right now.

I currently have an LMS332C & LMS420 for graphs & a Motorguide 24V Pro 70. The graphs are ok, but show a lot of interference if they're on at the same time. The trolling motor could definitely be stronger & uses up the batteries after a standard fishing day so I was thinking of going with either a MG 82lb Digital or Minn Kota 82lb Fortrex if it's possible to switch to MK.

First question, would you upgrade one of the graphs to an HDS5 with maps etc or upgrade the trolling motor? If trolling motor, MG Digital or Fortrex?

Appreciate the input!
crawdaddy

Re: HDS 5 or TM Upgrade???

Post by crawdaddy »

I would upgrade the TM first. There is no guarantee you will not get the same interrferance (sp?) with the HDS5. A day of fishing is not lost if your finder has problems but it is most definitely lost if your TM goes out or uses up the batteries prior to the end of the day. To me a TM is more important than the new finder.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
Riplip

Post by Riplip »

That would depend on where and how you fish. If you are primarily a delta guy, the TM is more important than fancy electronics...(ole' Coochie uses a rock and a string for depth I think). Power fishing and casting to visible cover benifit from a strong reliable TM.
Dropshot and deep jig fishing are much more effective when you can visualize the structure/fish and position your self properly. I've watched Johnny C work his magic with electronics and it is amazing. He can interpet not just where the fish are, but also what the fish are doing. Realizing the mood/agressiveness helps bait and presentation selection tenfold. Let us know what you decide and why...
If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got!

www.californiaresrvoirlures.com
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

TM no. 1
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
NitroSport

Post by NitroSport »

Great points guys.

I fish tournaments primarily on lakes, Oroville, Berry, Clear Lake, but fish the delta quite a bit for stripers, snag proof, etc, which is why I've got such a dilemma. I do feel like I really have no true idea of what the structure's like around us when we're on the lakes, so the graph would be good for those reasons if it's worth the $. The Pro 70 TM is a pain to run since the 189 sport doesn't have a recessed pedal or large front deck.
ASD

Post by ASD »

Get the TM and put in the recess for the pedal first. Then start saving for a and or the graphs. An then get the bigest one you can! then add the side scan (LSS-1) :wink:
WackySenko

Post by WackySenko »

I have a 332c on my ranger373. I upgraded to a MG Digital Sonar Ready Tour Edtion 109, 36 volt and am very happy that I upgraded the trolling motor first. I am now saving for the HDS system.
NitroSport

Post by NitroSport »

Thanks guys. Exactly the feedback I was looking for. I'm leaning more toward the trolling motor now for sure. Anyone have any thoughts on the MG Digital vs. Fortrex? My MG Pro completely burned up once but luckily was under warranty. Don't want the same issues with another one. Loved the lift assist on the Fortrex I tried on a buddy's boat but have never used an MG Digital.
ASD

Post by ASD »

I will be spending my $$ on a new Fortrex soon!
gofish42189

Post by gofish42189 »

Get youself a new fortrex first. Then save up for new graphs. The graphs you have now are good units as far as 2d sonar is conserned. You will really enjoy a new trolling motor. I love my fortrex. When you do upgrade your graphs make sure you get si capable units.