JVD versus Denny Brauer

Brian D.

JVD versus Denny Brauer

Post by Brian D. »

Interesting story on who "owns" the water. Seems that Denny "won’t be joining the Jonathan VanDam fan club" anytime soon. :shock:

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/who-owns-water

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
N.A.R

Re: JVD versus Denny Brauer

Post by N.A.R »

Bottom line is Denny Brauer was out of line to put JVD on blast on stage. There is a time and a place and on stage was not the time nor the place.

You didn't hear his Uncle KVD Biotchin' when Boyd Duckett ran 75 miles down river to catch 12 lbs on day one of the classic, to all of the sudden bust out 28 lbs in sight of the leaders on day two.
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Thinking back on the classic.. them boys were in each others boat almost.. Why would this be any different..

Lots of great thoughts on this one..Back in the day we always gave room.. what I see out there now is a free for all..just not much respect anymore..
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

stickbait wrote:Thinking back on the classic.. them boys were in each others boat almost.. Why would this be any different..

Lots of great thoughts on this one..Back in the day we always gave room.. what I see out there now is a free for all..just not much respect anymore..
Mark

I think there's too much money on the line now. Back in the day top prize was an 18' Ranger with a 150 HP. Later on it went to a 20' and some cash. That's not much in comparison to the purses today.

The tournament purses evolved and so did the rules of engagement. If the encroaching rule is so unsportsmanlike, then the tournament org should clearly change the rule. But they don't, so I don't think there's too much ground to argue the point. As JVD said, he found the fish too in that location and has just as much a right to fish it as DB.

I'm not a fan of Denny voicing his displeasure on stage. He's been doing this longer than JVD has been alive. It hurts the integrity of the sport and he's a much better professional and ambassador than that. Maybe his adrenaline kicked up a notch. But he beat the field at the end and overcame his adversities. Winning speaks volumes and in my opinion he should let the fishing talk for him.
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

I dont see anything wrong with what either did. Its competition! They were both fired up and ready to win. Cant be friends all the time out there.. im sure soon enough they'll laugh about it. A little smack talking usually goes on between the newbies and the veterans in most things.. just the ropes.. jvd will get broke in.
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Long Nguyen wrote:
stickbait wrote:Thinking back on the classic.. them boys were in each others boat almost.. Why would this be any different..

Mark

I think there's too much money on the line now. Back in the day top prize was an 18' Ranger with a 150 HP. Later on it went to a 20' and some cash. That's not much in comparison to the purses today.

The tournament purses evolved and so did the rules of engagement. If the encroaching rule is so unsportsmanlike, then the tournament org should clearly change the rule. But they don't, so I don't think there's too much ground to argue the point. As JVD said, he found the fish too in that location and has just as much a right to fish it as DB.

I'm not a fan of Denny voicing his displeasure on stage. He's been doing this longer than JVD has been alive. It hurts the integrity of the sport and he's a much better professional and ambassador than that. Maybe his adrenaline kicked up a notch. But he beat the field at the end and overcame his adversities. Winning speaks volumes and in my opinion he should let the fishing talk for him.
Back in the day a 18 ft ranger w/a 150 was big money... har har.. wish we were fishing for 100 grand back then...
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

stickbait wrote:Back in the day a 18 ft ranger w/a 150 was big money... har har.. wish we were fishing for 100 grand back then...
Boy you put that in perspective.

Everything is relative. Today's top tournament rig has a sticker price around $50-60k.

$100k sure does shrink quickly when I make that type of comparison.
kb

Post by kb »

JVD blanked on day one, Denny was leading the tournament and had him come back right in that spot. Now JVD has just sent out a loud and clear message to the 99 other Bassmaster Elite Series Anglers that he is moving in and it is ok to move in on him, no matter where you are in the standings or the AoY race.

Gloves are off and he has set a precident that it is fair game anytime, anyplace.........He just took the "I am leading the event and so and so moved right in on top of me", he can't say "hey dude I got a chance at this one I hope I won't see you back in there tomorrow", "hey can ya cut me some slack on this spot?", "yep just like you did Denny"

He is gonna get more help than he asked for and it will go on alot longer than this event ever did. He just put that sign on his back that says....well you guys know what it says.

This is a funny game and guys have a long memory. I know I have a list of guys that I owe moving off a spot someday when they are doing good and I got a couple I still owe one to!!!

yea JVD made the cut and got a check........he has a target on his head now too as a rookie and there are some guys that might teach him a thing or two about payback.....it's a B*%(#!!!!

I wonder if he got that dreaded phone call from Strike King????? Damn I hate those!!!!

Some of us got to grow up around the legends of this game and they were "nice" enough to teach us the game and we weren't fishing for a hundred grand!!!!

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

This will be a good thing for everyone I think. There always has to be a bad guy and I think that these sort of things create that fire in competition.
DL

Post by DL »

kb wrote:JVD blanked on day one, Denny was leading the tournament and had him come back right in that spot. Now JVD has just sent out a loud and clear message to the 99 other Bassmaster Elite Series Anglers that he is moving in and it is ok to move in on him, no matter where you are in the standings or the AoY race.
Gloves are off and he has set a precident that it is fair game anytime, anyplace.........He just took the "I am leading the event and so and so moved right in on top of me", he can't say "hey dude I got a chance at this one I hope I won't see you back in there tomorrow", "hey can ya cut me some slack on this spot?", "yep just like you did Denny"

He is gonna get more help than he asked for and it will go on alot longer than this event ever did. He just put that sign on his back that says....well you guys know what it says.
Bingo! Its called policing your own. I would sure like to be a fly on the wall at the next VanDam family reunion :mrgreen:
"Feel the steel"
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

What would be the response if JVD had won after all that?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

I agree with KB. This sort of thing happens all the time. Most of the time cooler heads prevail and you return the favor. When things are not handled correctly you quickly make a name for yourself (either good or bad) and the law of nature usually repays you a visit.

What you do to others will happen to you. The funny thing about it, is that people who do bad things do not like them done to them.

There is no way that JVD should have been anywhere near Denny. However, some people are willing to do anything to advance their career or make a buck.

I'm glad I have a day job.
The Wanabepro
Smee Again

Post by Smee Again »

kb wrote:JVD blanked on day one, Denny was leading the tournament and had him come back right in that spot. Now JVD has just sent out a loud and clear message to the 99 other Bassmaster Elite Series Anglers that he is moving in and it is ok to move in on him, no matter where you are in the standings or the AoY race.

This is a funny game and guys have a long memory. I know I have a list of guys that I owe moving off a spot someday when they are doing good and I got a couple I still owe one to!!!

yea JVD made the cut and got a check........he has a target on his head now too as a rookie and there are some guys that might teach him a thing or two about payback.....it's a B*%(#!!!!

I wonder if he got that dreaded phone call from Strike King????? Damn I hate those!!!!

Some of us got to grow up around the legends of this game and they were "nice" enough to teach us the game and we weren't fishing for a hundred grand!!!!

kb
Agreed. If JVD and Denny had arrived at the same place together on Day 1, and JVD had caught even half the weight Denny did on that day, then it's "game on!", and may the best man win. But the fact that JVD blanked on Day 1 and then moved in on Denny's spot does NOT look good (or at least that's the way I understand the situation). One way or another, Karma will rear it's ugly head on JVD, probably sooner than later.

SA
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

I see two parts to this situation. First JVD has sponsors who likely support him alot, and despite the rare win probably comprise the majority of his stable income. If I were a sponsor, I woulndnt want negative press.

Second, there is some "honor among thieves" thing going on where when a field of anglers compete for 100k are expected to not do thier best to win. If you blank on day 1, why wouldnt you adjust? Who are you going to emulate, the leaders..DUh!
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
Murph

Post by Murph »

How much do they pay those Camera guys? That looks grueling!
It might be lonely at the Top, but it's a bitch, at the Bottom !
george

Post by george »

I have known Denny for a quite a few years and have had the oppotunity to fish with him five or six times and he is a class act! He would not come out blasting someone like JVD unless it was somewhat deserved.
I think it is one of those growing up lessons for a yound guy like JVD and I think the point will be taken and put in his memory file as a pro bass fisherman life lesson.
I would also think that there might be some feedback from uncle Kevin that will stay in JVD's memory bank for a while.
Maybe Denny was thinking that he has a ten pound lead and all he needs to catch is five for about twelve pounds to put this thing away with no chance for anyone else to catch him.
I believe his thoughts were not that JVD could catch him in total weight but that JVD could catch enough fish off that spot that would take away from Dennys possiblity of putting the tournament out of reach for the guys in second and third and with a twenty pound bag by one of them they are back in the hunt.

Dont think I would want to start out my pro bass fishing career out with that kind of tag and if I were JVD I would be making a call to Mr. Brauer, showing up with a big bag of beef jerky and pleading ignorant to the fact of even knowing of such an unwritten rule.

I dont believe for a minute that if KVD were in Dennys shoes that JVD would have been fishing within a mile of him even if he had fished that spot every day prior.
jsoregon

Post by jsoregon »

I was watching this online the day it was happening and I couldn't believe it. Kid has balls I will give him that.
I would have tried to make a deal w/ Denny and fish there for a little while each day or give him first crack in the AM or something. Almost seems disrespectful for JVD to do what he did.

Image if Denny lost...no telling what would have happened then (to JVD).
luvmystratos

Post by luvmystratos »

I wonder what uncle Kevin has to say about all of this or is he just staying out of it? I remember back a couple of Classics where Kevin had a slight lead and there was 3-4 Anglers in the same vicinity for that last day of the Classic and he didn't like it. One particular Angler was fishing in the same area and right on Camera he said "he better not be in my area"; won't mention any names but the Guy didn't come back for that last day to fish.
Life is short enjoy each and everyday!
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

"I'm not a fan of Denny voicing his displeasure on stage. He's been doing this longer than JVD has been alive. It hurts the integrity of the sport and he's a much better professional and ambassador than that. Maybe his adrenaline kicked up a notch. But he beat the field at the end and overcame his adversities. Winning speaks volumes and in my opinion he should let the fishing talk for him."

Denny has been slinging fish for many years and he stated that this has never happened to him in over 30 years. So what has changed? Please dont blame Denny for a totally wrong act by another angler. And please folks leave the age and inexperience card at home. HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER=FACT
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

They will deal with it.
Time to move on.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY