Careful at Pyramid all...

scottsweet

Careful at Pyramid all...

Post by scottsweet »

We had a club tourney at Pyramid yesterday....and when we got back to the ramp around 2:30..there were lots of emergency folks around. Apparently a PWC person and a speedboat were running in parallel..pwc in front of boat...and the pwcer cut in front of the boater. PWCer dead! Ugh..was not a happy scene. One of our club members talked to someone who was in the boat...and the driver was very shaken up because he had killed someone.

If you are behind the PWC guys, be extra careful...as you well know they think they are the only people on the lake and don't look before turning.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Topwater Terry

Re: Careful at Pyramid all...

Post by Topwater Terry »

it's crazy for any bass fisherman to go anywhere near that zoo on a summer weekend...
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

it seems like almost every 2 years pyramid has some major accident or death. i stay away from pyramid in the summer.... very sad for both of the familys to have to go thru something like this. at least castaic contains the pwc's, you only need to watch out for the water skiers going in all directions and running about 10 feet from your boat... im so glad i only fish weekdays.. and scott's right BE CAREFUL.. :(
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

My condolences to the familys, very bad deal all the way around.
Now with that said, that place is out of hand, I've been doing trips there alot this year due to Castaic being a dog... And I watched it progress from a few boats to out of control, I fished July 2 and 3rd, and it was nuts, i was anchored up out in front of beartrap, first point, I was two boat lenths from shore line and had over ten boats and pwc's split me and the shore and those were just the boats I couldn't way off, the topper came on the 3rd when the sherriff boat did it!
I just threw my arms up in the air at them as the 3 foot wake almost knocked me off my boat.
Coming back into the channel heading to the dock is freaking insane with the pwc's riding like manics cutting around turning against the flow of traffic, it was only a matter of time, sounds bad but I don't think it will be the last one for the year!
They need to coral the the pwc up like at Castaic!!!
I've been limiting guide trips to mornings on the weekends
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

From the LA Times: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... -boat.html

Bay Area man dies in Pyramid Lake boating accident

July 17, 2011 | 5:28 pm

A 32-year-old Fremont man died when his personal watercraft collided with a 20-foot ski boat on Pyramid Lake, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department reported Sunday.

The victim's identity was being withheld pending notification of family, said Deputy Benjamin Grubb.

The crash occurred at 1:40 p.m. Saturday when the Wave Runner driver abruptly turned in front of the ski boat, witnesses told investigators from the sheriff's parks bureau.

Crew members of a Coast Guard auxiliary boat operating on the lake were among the witnesses to the accident, Grubb said.

The driver of the ski boat jumped into the water to assist the scooter operator, who was face-down in the water after the crash, the witnesses reported. Paramedics tried to resuscitate the man for about 25 minutes before he was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:22 p.m., the deputy said.
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

we also had a death at castaic on sunday night about 6:30. not a boating accident, just someone who dove down to retrieve there anchor, and never came up. divers found him later. and another death at raging waters too.... be safe out there guys
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

kane-o wrote:we also had a death at castaic on sunday night about 6:30. not a boating accident, just someone who dove down to retrieve there anchor, and never came up. divers found him later. and another death at raging waters too.... be safe out there guys
That's sad. People don't realize how deep their anchors are, until they start to swim down the anchor rope.
If you're not used to free diving, you can get in trouble really quick.
It's no like diving to the bottom of a swimming pool.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY