Ish's Phat Frog

Nevadaboy

Ish's Phat Frog

Post by Nevadaboy »

Anybody having any hook up problems with the frog and are you doing anything to change it?
yjjustforme

Re: Ish's Phat Frog

Post by yjjustforme »

Nope I throw the all white one and I haven't noticed any problems
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

The plastic is seems hard! I would go with the Bobby's perfect!...
1biggbass

Post by 1biggbass »

which Model-Bobbys Perfect Sinking Frog or the Floating Model!!!!
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

I actually experienced hook up problems on a variety of topwater baits last week, not just frogs or any one bait in particular. I think due to the cooling nights, the bass just aren't chasing down and commiting to the strike very well. I've been getting a lot of swirls and short strikes. I was able to improve my hook up some with an enlongated stinger hook on my buzzbait and frog, even then I still had several missed strikes where they didn't eat the bait well enough ta git hooked. Yesterday, from the reports of the anglers in the Pro-Teen event here on the Delta, with that cloud cover, the topwater bite improved tremendously, yet guys were still moanin' about the ones that missed and got away. I just don't think the better fish have gotten into that mood yet where they are gonna give us that summertime crushing topwater strike yet. Stick with it, it's commin!
mmalinao

Post by mmalinao »

Cooch,

1st off it was great meeting you at the Nutcase Rally. My partner and I didn't make it back to the BBQ because, A. we had nothing to weigh in, B. the frog bite was on. I'm glad that you posted this because that day was one of the most frustrating days on the Delta. We had a total of 17 blow up on frogs and did not land one of them. My partner resorted to putting a stinger hook on his frog popper and was still not able to land one.

You're right on the bigger fish not going after them as a lot of them were small fish. The frustrating part was that we flipped, through reaction, but the always went back to the frog because of the action we got. I became pissed and determined to land one of these fish so I just kept throwing it!

I was using a TruTungston Mad Max frog and it's stiffer than my Snag Proof's, I even bent the hooks out more to try and get them to grab more.

I'm just glad to hear that we weren't the only ones with problems landing frog fish!

-Mike
-Mike Malinao
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Nevadaboy wrote:Anybody having any hook up problems with the frog and are you doing anything to change it?
Like any lure some frogs are better outta the package then others, I have to say that the Ish Phat frog requires less tweaking from me then any other frog I use. I have added some weight to the back to get them to sit a lil more *** in the water from time to time, trimmed the legs for a flare and one frog I had to bend the hooks up just a tad - like others stated the first modification I do to a frog when i am getting rolls and not blowns up on is change color until they eat it right - black or white - chartruse or white etc... then I look at are they eating it well and I am not hooking into them whats up with the hooks then getting more weight to the bottom. This year has been on again off again for the frog - Are you switching over to other frogs and landing those fish?
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

As far as out of the package, remember to hit the outside weight on most of the frogs with some superglue, they pop off with the first or second fish you get, at least mine do. I think the Spro is attached, but the Perfect is just glued on, and not well (the one pictured below I had to cut a split shot in half and glue a replacement on, I'd forget to do just that and it was gone in short order).

Man, it's nice when it works. Down here this week it's 90 degree water, 95 degree air and 65 degree cool nights (inland) and the fish don't miss a thing, coming through cheese and floating weeds with 100% fierce accuracy. Yesterday, to see a 5+ crush my new B.P. Cicada, going airborn on the second twitch of the frog, was a site I won't soon forget. Love this style.

Here is some handywork from last week, I went through about a dozen frogs last year, as far as torn up legs are concerned. Some get torn up, body wise, those I toss.

Some of the 'before'.

After the new legs were put on.

Keep the faith, the fish are professional eaters, when they decide it's a meal, it's a meal! Some recent fish that decided that about my baits from the past few trips out - Barrett, Otay, El Cap and Skinner.

Last edited by Otay Michael on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

I have found this the easiest to use frog of them all. And to me the hook up rate has been outstanding. So impressed I just flat quit using all my others. I am not sponsored and just my two cents.Thumbs up for me.
http://www.dobynsrods.com
Tarpon120

Post by Tarpon120 »

I have found this the easiest to use frog of them all. And to me the hook up rate has been outstanding. So impressed I just flat quit using all my others. I am not sponsored and just my two cents.Thumbs up for me.
+1

I used to use Bobby's Perfect exclusively, until they made it "imperfect" by adding that crappy internal weight. I know there is a third gen now with a seperate hook chamber, but alot of those weighted jobs are still on the shelf. Ish's is great right out of the box.
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

I haven't had a lot of opportunity to throw Ish's new frog this summer, but I like a lot of things about it. The sealed air bladded means I don't have to spend as much time mending them. It also walks well out of the package and it casts as well as any frog I have thrown. I caught about half a dozen fish at Havasu last month throwing it for a few hours in the evening. I skipped it back in the tules into about 8 inches of water on one of my first casts and a 14" smallie barely sucked it in. Both hooks got him and he wasn't coming off. The frog barely fit in the fishes mouth, so I was impressed. But, sometimes fish seem to hit a walking frog as the frog changes direction and you can see the frog sideways in the fishes mouth as you pull it away from them. I did miss one good fish that evening at Havasu. The frog was sideways in it's mouth as it jumped. I don't know what else I could have done, other than wait an extra second before I set the hook. That's is just frog fishing. Five out of six bites in the boat that evening was very acceptable. I haven't seen an all black one in the line-up yet. I hope to see one in the future!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

toddmc wrote: I haven't seen an all black one in the line-up yet. I hope to see one in the future!
Todd your hopes have been granted Pappa Midnight available at Monster Pro Tackle
http://www.outdoorproshop.com/Snag-Proo ... click=8673

oh and if you like Shamu in the Bobbys perfect check out the Blowin Smoke
Links to Check Out -
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

Cool! Thanks ash.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Ash,
How well do they walk?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

they walk better than any for me. The phat frog is all I throw now.
just shut up and fish
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

I also like to throw the river2sea frogs. It seems like they also got a good hookup ratio.
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

Man I was out at Mildred and had a HOG,DONKEY,PIG of a bass blow up on my ish phat forget not once but twice and failed to get a hook into her!!!! Normally these thins don't miss but they did today
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Mark - I agree with Jimmy - best walking frog I have found - it will walk, blurp, spit, and bounce better then any frog I have thrown - really the only modifications I have made to this frog has been on my open water ones I will bend the hooks up just a tad - great frog out of the box!
jimmy87 wrote:they walk better than any for me. The phat frog is all I throw now.
Links to Check Out -
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

ash wrote:Mark - I agree with Jimmy - best walking frog I have found - it will walk, blurp, spit, and bounce better then any frog I have thrown - really the only modifications I have made to this frog has been on my open water ones I will bend the hooks up just a tad - great frog out of the box!
jimmy87 wrote:they walk better than any for me. The phat frog is all I throw now.
Thanks.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY