encroachment

anonymousDVLdude

encroachment

Post by anonymousDVLdude »

Just like to say thanks to the guys that pulled up within 50 feet of us at an A/C DVL Saturday night tournament and started fishing. DVL is 4000+ acres and you couldn't find anything else to fish? There were only 26 boats on the water. I know who you are and next time I will have a video camera. We would have confronted you, but if you have the nerve to encroach like that, arguing with idiots like you would be a waste of our time. Makes me wonder if fishing these tournaments are worth the effort.
Last edited by anonymousDVLdude on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ringer

Re: encroachment

Post by Ringer »

It happens. If I am fishing a marina then I expect people to crowd in. I was at Alamo last year in a tournament and two guys pulled in within 30 feet in front of my boat while I was working the bank and they fished right in front of me. I hit their boat with a blade and got in a huge yelling match and was ready to throw down but they decided to leave. Need to say something and hold your ground. Teeth are replaceable.
Marty

Post by Marty »

That take some never to come up on an anchored boat with the trolling motor out of the water and not even ask permission.
littlebailey

Post by littlebailey »

Come to Clearlake and watch what happens. The largest natural lake in cali and even in the turkey shoots guys act like you arent there. Then when you say something to em, they say "oh i thought you were just fishing that one tullie in the water". Like its ok to go around you to the back of a cove your 20 ft from the back of. I thought So cal was bad. Im serious, come here and learn how its done. These guys here taught me how to cut people off and shut bites down when guys were whacking em just up the way. Just run up to em as their catchen em and start casting at their boat. That way either your gonna catch one the cheap way or your gonna scare em away for the guys catchin em. I had to learn a whole new game when i got here, be happy they gave you 50 ft. lol
"Posse Approved"
www.reactorwatch.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.irodfishing.com
sTony

Post by sTony »

Gotta agree with Paul, Clear Lake is the worst of the norcal lakes for this type of stuff. Which makes little sense at all cause it is a BIG lake. And up there, guys fishing club tournaments will cut you off. Guides will think nothing of doing the same, in fact, there's one old fart 'guide' up there that'll cut you off, throw down his shiners or whatever live bait they use up there and then waggle the fish he catches in your face.

Thankfully, it is a HUGE lake and I have always just picked up the t-motor and moved on. I don't fish to get into controversies on the water. It's my relaxation and I try not to let anyone disturb that for me.

sTony
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

That's okay ill take my punching rod with that 80lb suffix and bomb it across his line scare his fish away and rip his rod out of his hands as I yank my line across his lure if he was to cut me off like that. Luckily the delta isn't that bad "yet"!!
littlebailey

Post by littlebailey »

yjjustforme wrote:That's okay ill take my punching rod with that 80lb suffix and bomb it across his line scare his fish away and rip his rod out of his hands as I yank my line across his lure if he was to cut me off like that. Luckily the delta isn't that bad "yet"!!
Ive lost many huddlestons here for that same reason. It doesnt work. :D
"Posse Approved"
www.reactorwatch.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.irodfishing.com
fishinman

Post by fishinman »

even if you abide by the rules at least 100 feet 33 yards ya still get dirty looks on small lakes. Even on Clear Lake years ago two guys in the same derby were fishing a offshore rock pile as we pulled on a dock at least 150 feet from them they came flying up on trolling motor saying encroachment. We just kept on fishing and took a digital picture of the idiots in there boat and area if anything came up! Nobody owns an entire stretch of bank for 100's of feet. On a huge body of water say 10,000 surface acres or more than extended banks are understandable but actually just common courtesy or good manners.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

What has amazed me for years is the unsportsman like conduct of some tournament bass anglers. Everyone has this concept that it's their spot, the bass are private property. I have trophy bass fished for decades from both my bass boat and aluminum boat. Tournament anglers behave a lot diffirent depending on what boat I fished out of; bass boat they would circle me if I was fishing outside isolated structure trying to learn what I was on and give me some space when fishing shoreline areas, thinking I was tournament fishing.
Aluminum boat, tournament anglers treated me as if I didn't belong on the same lake with them and had no right to fish their areas.
At night the behavior gets worse as the vast majority of boats are fishing shoeline areas and conflicts are going to occur.
Tom
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

i hear what you are saying Tom...pretty incredible. My dad and I used to have a 17ft 85 Ranger with an old Johnson on it. We were always cut off and the anglers courtesy went out the window. Now with out 21ft Triton we don't get the same disrespect as much. its pretty amazing at what people will do.

My favorite example of people encroaching and pushing happened and we dropped anchor and told them to leave, get their pictures taken or eat a swimbait thrown their way.
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
DeltaBound

Post by DeltaBound »

Next time invite them in your boat for some hot chocolate.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

TD's can help eliminate a lot of encroachment by making a 25yd separation rule part of their rules, and part of their prelaunch meeting. Exceptions would be if one boat asks for permission, and the other grants it.
At least, it plants the idea in everyone's head that it's not okay to encroach.
Our club has that rule, and we don't have problems.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
littlebailey

Post by littlebailey »

25 yards is a joke! i can throw a swimmer almost 50 yards, so that means there can be a boat halfway between where my cast lands. Thats a bunch bs. Make it 50 yards in every org. Until then, you might as well call it ultimate team fishing.
"Posse Approved"
www.reactorwatch.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.irodfishing.com
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

littlebailey wrote:25 yards is a joke! i can throw a swimmer almost 50 yards, so that means there can be a boat halfway between where my cast lands. Thats a bunch bs. Make it 50 yards in every org. Until then, you might as well call it ultimate team fishing.
+1
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
adman

Post by adman »

The classic had guys fishing very close to one another and seemed to work out alright, I guess pros figure out how to deal with it and each other. That said Denny Brauer got pretty steamed when KVD's little brother or cousin or nephew or whatever came too close on the second say after blanking the first day...so the whole thing is a crap shoot. It is strange how fishing for a few bucks turn otherwise probably decent folk into some pretty self important knuckleheads.

It is also strange how uppity people get because of the boat they're in; like cars I guess, you have a nice car so you must be better than the guy in a not so nice car. Funny Dee Thomas told me along time ago to keep my eyes on tin boats and locals, cause they may very well know something hidden, and fish don't care what boat you're in.
frisbee

Post by frisbee »

elfish16 wrote:i hear what you are saying Tom...pretty incredible. My dad and I used to have a 17ft 85 Ranger with an old Johnson on it. We were always cut off and the anglers courtesy went out the window. Now with out 21ft Triton we don't get the same disrespect as much. its pretty amazing at what people will do.

My favorite example of people encroaching and pushing happened and we dropped anchor and told them to leave, get their pictures taken or eat a swimbait thrown their way.
I had the opposite happen. I wasn't bothered on my older boat, but am harrassed quite a bit on the 20i. Most of the bad bs was at DVL, but Casitas has its fair share of macho men too.
last winter i was fishing in the rain with 3 boats on the water. one of them pulled up in front of me and started metering the spot my bait was SITTING ON!!!, and started fishing. I almost lost it, but did a few rings around him instead.
Just this week i was eating lunch and doing some housekeeping, while drifting in the wind with my trolling motor up. I thought i was safe to relax when a "guide", or some other sort of dk 4 pulled up within casting range in my drift path. He glared at me while the 2 others started fishing. Really? all he had to do was wait 2 minutes for me to drift past "his" spot. again, 3 boats on the water besides rentals.
my grandfather taught me some manners on the water, what's up with these people?
have fun and help others do the same when you get the chance.
dwise

Post by dwise »

mark poulson wrote:TD's can help eliminate a lot of encroachment by making a 25yd separation rule part of their rules, and part of their prelaunch meeting. Exceptions would be if one boat asks for permission, and the other grants it.
At least, it plants the idea in everyone's head that it's not okay to encroach.
Our club has that rule, and we don't have problems.
Isn't it 75 yards? I thought it was 75 yards. Although sometimes we don't stay 75 yards away, but we're an easy going bunch and I never get upset about it.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

Not quite as bad over here since they can see the pistols hangin' off the belts at 25 yards.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

For our Club, it's 25 yds. Our club isn't fishing for big money, so it's never really an issue.
Paul, 75yds sounds more reasonable for a money tournament, especially with you slinging those 5oz baits around.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

I was reading an interesting blog on the up coming MFL; major leage fishing.
This concept eliminates encroahment rules, it's dog eat dog with the only rule you can't cast over the other anglers line.
IF this program takes off and becomes popular, it will change how local weekend and tournament angler behave and it could get interesting; helmets bullet proof vests?
Tom
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

2 years ago I fished an A/C tourney at Clear Lake, and they just flat out told us there was no encroachment rule and would be no protests involving it. It was entertaining, but not nearly as bad as I though it would be.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Don’t quite understand why some of the origination don’t state encroachment better in the rules. Of the major tournaments tours with the exception of WON Bass the boat has to have to be using an anchor and have their trolling motor out of the water. If that is not done that means someone could get right next to your boat and it would not be encroachment.
AC – Pro/Am
No fishing is allowed within 25 yards of another anchored or tied tournament boat with trolling motor out of the water, without the anchored boat's permission. Anytime two or more docks are within the 25-yard area a contestant may only claim one side of one dock for their fishing area.
AC – Pro Team
No fishing is allowed within 25 yards of another anchored or tied tournament boat with trolling motor out of the water, without the anchored boat's permission
WON Bass
Encroachment — a “25” yard rule is in effect at all times during competition. No contestants boat may move within 25 yards of another contestant's boat at any time for the purpose of fishing, unless initial party has granted permission. A boat moving from one area to another may not “tie-up,” “claim,” or “protect” more than a single dock or location at one time regardless of the distance involved.
Walmart FLW Tour rules
Contestants may fish anywhere on tournament waters available to the public and accessible by boat, except areas designated as “off-limits,” “no boats” or “no fishing” by FLW Outdoors, local, state or federal officials, or within 50 yards of a contestant’s boat that was first anchored. An anchored boat is a boat held in a stable position by a line attached to a weight or by a Power-Pole or similar shallow water anchor with the trolling motor in the up position.
2011 EverStart Series Rules
Contestants may fish anywhere on tournament waters available to the public and accessible by boat, except areas designated as “off-limits,” “no boats” or “no fishing” by FLW Outdoors, local, state or federal officials, or within 50 yards of a contestant’s boat that was first anchored. An anchored boat is a boat held in a stable position by a line attached to a weight or by a Power-Pole or similar shallow water anchor with the trolling motor in the up position.
Schneider Fishing

Post by Schneider Fishing »

Same old same old. Nothing changes.
Robert Schneider
My wife is my real sponsor

www.PhenixBaits.com
CN

Post by CN »

It happen's all the time up here in Monterey Bay when the Salmon and now White Sea Bass are in. You think Clearlake is to big to be that close,guy's it's the friggin Pacific Ocean. Why does so much drama happen at DVL?
Kwin

Post by Kwin »

"Why does so much drama happen at DVL?"........too close to the Temecula whine country?
Dom

Post by Dom »

This just happened to me and my buddy brian on Sunday we were fishing a cut and this guy pulls up in a new triton or stratos he comes off pad right next to us i think he is going to ask for directions but no he drops his trolling motor less then 10' in front of us! I look over at him and say REALLY DUDE! He says I thought you were fishing that spot , what spot the 10' circle around my boat? What an A$$. I continued to explain to my buddy how some people have no class or fishing ediq. and we pulled up the trolling motor and left while this jerk just continued fishing.

I guess since he was in his Bank owned $40,000.00 bass boat he thought he could tak advantage of two guys in a Old paid for 85 Ranger. I am a DI@# though I went right around him on pad and got within a few feet of the bank and blew it out for about 1000 yards :D :D :D :D I really would have been cool with him if he had asked if he could cut in or if we were fishing the cut no biggie I got tons of spots on the Delta but the fact he was an a$$ about it just pissed me off.

And I am surprised KARMA did me like that. The tide was dropping out and I wanted to hit this short deep rock wall so we ran there but two guys in a Ranger were fishing it so I told my buddy they got the wall we will run to another spot I know I came of pad low throttle and went by em we waved to each other and thats how I ended up in that dang cut. One would think Karma would return the favor LOL .
Tight Lines Dom
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Dom wrote:This just happened to me and my buddy brian on Sunday we were fishing a cut and this guy pulls up in a new triton or stratos he comes off pad right next to us i think he is going to ask for directions but no he drops his trolling motor less then 10' in front of us! I look over at him and say REALLY DUDE! He says I thought you were fishing that spot , what spot the 10' circle around my boat? What an A$$. I continued to explain to my buddy how some people have no class or fishing ediq. and we pulled up the trolling motor and left while this jerk just continued fishing.

I guess since he was in his Bank owned $40,000.00 bass boat he thought he could tak advantage of two guys in a Old paid for 85 Ranger. I am a DI@# though I went right around him on pad and got within a few feet of the bank and blew it out for about 1000 yards :D :D :D :D I really would have been cool with him if he had asked if he could cut in or if we were fishing the cut no biggie I got tons of spots on the Delta but the fact he was an a$$ about it just pissed me off.

And I am surprised KARMA did me like that. The tide was dropping out and I wanted to hit this short deep rock wall so we ran there but two guys in a Ranger were fishing it so I told my buddy they got the wall we will run to another spot I know I came of pad low throttle and went by em we waved to each other and thats how I ended up in that dang cut. One would think Karma would return the favor LOL .
I know what ya mean Dom. It weird when they seem like they don't have a clue.
The weirdest one I encountered on the River was a few years back. I'm out on a Wednesday in September. I launched out of Holland and didn't see another trailer in the parking lot. I'm fishing for several hours and don't see another boat. I'm fishing a nice blow out and here comes another boat that cuts me off and starts fishing the same spot. I said to the guy, 'Dude, a thousand miles of water and you need to fish next to me?' He had no response, just kept fishing.

It must have been that spot. Years before I was anchored in my tin boat fishing with my son and this shiney Ranger pulls right up and starts tossing baits into the same spot. I did the 'Really?' thing and the non-boater starts going off on me about 'it's not my water', etc. I made a post about the incident on NCBF and got a sincere apology from the boater. We became good friends as a result.

- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

I think the worst encroachers are those air boats at Clear Lake. You could be busy fishing a weed patch, and those noisy air boats will go right over the weeds your fishing, spraying them and ripping them up. Makes me rage, cause I almost always run into them at Clear Lake...
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
tALLkAN

Post by tALLkAN »

Happened to me last thursday at DVL, but this d@@khead didnt fish the hump i was working.....he punched it full blast, did a circle around the area and took off. Funny thing is i know who this guy is. :? no class
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

DOM.......why didn't you give him a southern delta welcome....... :wink:
LL South
anonymousDVLdude

Post by anonymousDVLdude »

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has dealt with idiots!! I didn't know that the practice of encroachment was routine rather than the exception.
offduty

Post by offduty »

Well yeah its the Southern Cal forum and this part of the state is a zoo so get used to it, it aint gonna get better.
Rich
Dom

Post by Dom »

Hey Wolfman - I know what your saying and I try to get along with everyone but this guy was so self absorbed I would not want to be friends with him if he tried lol heck you have been around as long as me and I was real high strung back in my 20's lol more laid back these days so I just gave him the blown out spot :D

Justin - :D :D :D :D I should have bro :D :D :D Hey you gonna be out this week-end? I am heading out first light tomorrow . I was at Jeremys house today and all I can say is WOW!!!!!! Wait till you see whats coming bro!!!!!!!!!!! like nothing else around. :D :D :D :D
Tight Lines Dom