Alabama Gig/ Umbrella Rig Banned!

Gene Buchholz

Alabama Gig/ Umbrella Rig Banned!

Post by Gene Buchholz »

First I want to thank Bill Egen from WON for doing the research on this item before it got out of hand.

I can see it being more of a problem then anything you might as well throw out a trout line and come back in a couple of hours and pick up you catch. I also agree it will be more harmfull to the fish and relate in more dead fish then it is worth.

There fore I am banning this type of rig or any variation of it from the Hook Line & Sinker tournaments. If used and caught using it in the Hook Tournaments the team will be DQ and banned from fishing any further Hook Tournaments.
Gene Buchholz
Hook Line & Sinker
bassindon69

Re: Alabama Gig/ Umbrella Rig Banned!

Post by bassindon69 »

Gene Buchholz wrote:First I want to thank Bill Egen from WON for doing the research on this item before it got out of hand.

I can see it being more of a problem then anything you might as well throw out a trout line and come back in a couple of hours and pick up you catch. I also agree it will be more harmfull to the fish and relate in more dead fish then it is worth.

There fore I am banning this type of rig or any variation of it from the Hook Line & Sinker tournaments. If used and caught using it in the Hook Tournaments the team will be DQ and banned from fishing any further Hook Tournaments.
Gene Buchholz
Hook Line & Sinker
Right on! Good for you. A big +1 . :D Thinking about the fish 1st. Awesome!
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
gwilson

Post by gwilson »

Good move Gene, thats the way it should be. Bass tournaments one rod, one lure, even playing field. Simple. If you cant catch bass that way dont fish tournaments.
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

Agreed 100%. Thanks.

James
BIG BAIT

Post by BIG BAIT »

Lame. So fishing a castable rig is like a trot line? That is your justification? I hope you ban double fluke rigs, and shakey head/dropshot combos. Those are just as bad as gillnetting. :roll:
Shad*Wizard

Post by Shad*Wizard »

Right on Gene!...
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

BIG BAIT wrote:Lame. So fishing a castable rig is like a trot line? That is your justification? I hope you ban double fluke rigs, and shakey head/dropshot combos. Those are just as bad as gillnetting. :roll:
Big Bait, you forgot to include the Double Underspin rig, jig under drop shot rigs....

makes no sense at all...
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Gene, without a doubt, new he would get mixed reactions from his decision..It really does not matter why he opted to disallow the use of the A-rig or unbrella rigs for his tournaments..They are his tournaments..I may not agree with him on if there will be increased fish mortality, but I do agree it is somewhat less sporting than some of the other rigs..If you want to use the rig, by all means do so, just keep in mind it is not allowed for Gene's Hook, Line and Sinker tournaments..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

It's pretty obvious that Gene doesn't like it, so he has to have some reason to ban it. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any evidence to back up his "increased mortality" claim.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

bryanmc wrote:It's pretty obvious that Gene doesn't like it, so he has to have some reason to ban it. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any evidence to back up his "increased mortality" claim.
Well, common sense would dictate more dead fish it would seem. It's tough enough making sure one fish gets properly taken care of, not hitting the carpet, thus losing it's bacteria fighting slime coating, and then trying to get it into the well in short order if it's a deep gut-hooked one, etc..

Now multiply it by three fish wiggling all over the place (no way to keep them all from bouncing all over your carpets), maybe lunkers if you are lucky (un-lucky for them), and one or more gut hooked? Good luck on that scenario- and good job Gene.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

And what if and what if and what if.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marty

Post by Marty »

Nine replies and maybe three of them are fishing the tournament.
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

bryanmc wrote:It's pretty obvious that Gene doesn't like it, so he has to have some reason to ban it. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any evidence to back up his "increased mortality" claim.
+1

I respect the way Bill Egan stated it, he doesn't feel it has a place in the BassFishing tournament scene. But Its legal, so its accepted! Under the proper DFG guidelines. No personal feeling involved. Good Job Billy
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

This Alabama Rig situation reminds me of playing Call of Duty, Modern Warfare or any other shooter video game..
You got guys complaining about "noob guns" and "he sucks because he uses that Famas" (or whatever) but all while they are complaining, they could be using those same guns too..
SMH
AMATEURS work until they get it RIGHT..
PROFESSIONALS WORK until they CAN'T get it Wrong..
Revoke36

Post by Revoke36 »

You dont have to participate in his tournaments if you dont like his rules. Simple as that. In a way its a benefit to have the choice to fish tournaments that either allow it or dont allow it. Be thankful you have options. Doesnt that make everyone happy? If you're for the rig, compete in the tourneys that allow it and if you're against it, again, compete in that tourney. But dont grill the man for his decision. Besides, he has more of a finacial gain to promote the A-rig from a buisness prespective.
Support 81
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

Revoke36 wrote:You dont have to participate in his tournaments if you dont like his rules. Simple as that. In a way its a benefit to have the choice to fish tournaments that either allow it or dont allow it. Be thankful you have options. Doesnt that make everyone happy? If you're for the rig, compete in the tourneys that allow it and if you're against it, again, compete in that tourney. But dont grill the man for his decision. Besides, he has more of a finacial gain to promote the A-rig from a buisness prespective.
This stance, and the few others alike it are complete garbage. Let's make a real-world comparison to "don't grill the man for his decision"---- Say you live in California, and the Governor and legislature of Arizona pass a law where suspected illegal immigrants are forced to present proper immigration paper-work if detained for breaking the law. As a citizen of California (NOT ARIZONA) are you not allowed to voice your opinion to the contrary, or in support of said law? I'm sick and tired of this "you don't fish it, so you're not allowed to have an opinion" BS. It is absurd to say that people aren't allowed to come to a public forum to support/speak out against an event/product/service that is offered to THE PUBLIC if they are not directly involved in said event/product/service.

Until I see FACTS regarding a massive increase in bass mortality due to the usage of this rig, it is ridiculous to support an all out ban on something that is ALLOWED by state law. Eventhough I'm only in my mid-20's, I'm of the mentality that the fewer the rules/laws, the better.

And if I were a bettin' man, I'd put all the money in my savings to say that Mr. Buchholz will be carrying the product(s) in question as soon as they are made available to the public.

Either way, I think WONBASS is on point, and this decision to ban is a snap-decision that will be proven to be based on false premises, over time.

JMHO... and +1 bryanmc

Andrew Lippert
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

What is an Alabama rig?
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

For those who have never actually seen one...

Sorry for the poor picture. The coin by the head is a penny. Total weight, 3/10 oz (9 grams) Obviously not as big and bad as they look in other pictures :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The whole topic is about as usless as the Laser Lure. People will buy the rig, throw it three times and then kick themselves in the bean bag for having been sucked into the hype.

Oh, here is another lure that has been "banned". LMAO

Last edited by Brian D. on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Lucky13baits

Post by Lucky13baits »

bryanmc wrote:For those who have never actually seen one...

Sorry for the poor picture. The coin by the head is a penny. Total weight, 3/10 oz (9 grams) Obviously not as big and bad as they look in other pictures :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think it would look bigger with a 100 bill under it.
Lake

Post by Lake »

Didn't we have these same comments about the biosonix when it came out? I heard a lot of people saying it was like electronic chumming and making it to easy to catch fish. Guys were up in arms that it should be like cheating. This whole discussion is a joke. Besides as mentioned above Gene could have promoted the hell out of it, had some locals catch a few fish on it, took pics and sold the hell out of them in his shop.

He made a decision based on his gut feeling and it is what it is. I can see a fish hooked on this thing, as your fighting it other 2 hooks smacking the fish on the head over and over, not good IMO. I can see this working at some bodies of water, but the delta? I don't see it playing much of a factor. Seems like anytime an organization makes a decision on here its always damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

Hmmmm... catching striper is ok in this rig. Been ok for years. Ive even banged halibut on a spreader. Jig + dropshot i just let the fish swim around until another one grabs the loose bait. I think when that happens its awesome! I cant see how a rig like this could make a difference in the hook tourneys. what about a double fluke rig with money minnows out back? Since theres no spreader its legal? :shock: that was a rhetorical question. Seems like alot of red tape over one rig thats been in use but now hit the TV and its like a brand new thing no one has ever seen.
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
ppickerell

Post by ppickerell »

NOT a tournament guy, just tackle whore. The difference between the electronic lure banned by X states and this rig is the bama rig just won several big money tournaments.
02 Champion 206 DC Elite
Bobber Lobber
PeteD

Post by PeteD »

Gene's running the tournaments, gathering resources to do so, Gene sets the rules- nuff said.
Pete

Post by 619 »

Sorry people this lure is legal if rigged properly in this jacked up state. His tournament banned it. So what fish it in another tournament circuit that knows the regs or fish it for fun. Besides Brian D says it doesnt work so just put them in the mail to me and forget about it.