best gloves for winter fishing

calfisher71

best gloves for winter fishing

Post by calfisher71 »

I have tried many gloves for winter fishing, I have yet to find the right ones for when it's really cold and rainy.

any suggestions?
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
Steve Reed

Re: best gloves for winter fishing

Post by Steve Reed »

I used to wear no gloves, even in snow, because I couldn't stand the feeling when fishing. However, recent improvements in the quality of newer products has changed my mind.

Simms Windstopper are pretty tough to beat. They have fingerless and cover-up style and the gloves feature a pouch for a hot hands pack. Very warm, and not too bad to fish in. Simms is the best when it comes to functional apparel for fishermen.

I have used Under Armour before and they are pretty good if you want a light glove, but your hands will be cold still.
Monsterfishingtackle.com
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Nothing beats wool for me so far... been there, done that.

Haven't checked out the gloves that Steve mentioned, so might have to give them a try as 'The Kid" knows a little something, but the wool gloves (cover-up and fingerless) are timeless standards.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

I'll let you check mine out... they are only about $12 bucks... I got an extra set on the boat now...
Wool... they keep your hands warm even when wet... I have tried several too over the years... the wool has been by far the best I fould so far. I got the ones from sportsman's warehouse that are fingerless and also have the mitten flap that can cover fingers... they are awesome... the only thing that you have to be careful of is getting a hook caught up in them... but for warmth... they are the best even when wet.

cya...
Walker ~
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

I wear the fingerless wool gloves (no flap) when I'm fishing. When I'm running to a new spot a I have pair of those big ugly joka-therm mittens that I pull on over them.
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

I did see the new Simms online at Monster and they sound good, The key concern is when they get wet.

I have heard many good things on simple woolies!
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
Marty

Post by Marty »

I'm with Roger, Randy, and Bryan, I use wool. In fact I have three differs set of gloves. The first two are wool and the third is Joka Therm mittens that are made in Finland. I buy the wool gloves in the Spring time (K-Mart, Target, and Wal-Mart) when they go on sale, I usually pick up 4 sets. On two of the sets of wool gloves I cut the mitten flaps off along with the thumb. I use these in the fall and spring. On the other two sets I leave the mitten flaps on but cut a slit in the thumb part where I can pull out my thumb out for fishing and pull it back in for runs. I use the Joka when it is raining or snowing (Shasta and Oroville). These last two are my winter gloves.

calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

Very cool thanks, Oroville, is the concern, most months what I use is ok, but there allways that one cold storm or two, that just freeze the line on your guides and here i come woolies!
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
stillina99pro

Post by stillina99pro »

So far, the best I have found is a pair of snow boarding gloves. You can really soak em with water proofing long before you need em so they air out and dry and the smell of the proofing disipates and then they usually have a liner glove in them take that out and use them with out them. One of the best things is that you can take your hands out of them easily to tie up baits and then put em on again no problem. They keep your hands warm enough to be comfortable fishing even when it's really cold and they're good for running down the lake. I'm pretty sure most are windproof as well. And they dont have that slippery feel on the rods like wool does.

I'm still looking for something better though so I dont have to take them off at all.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Merino wool, Fingerless glove, I've used the Filson gloves @ $13-15 the past 5 years. Light weight, very thin, tight fit and they keep yer hands very warm, rain or shine. These also tend to hold up longer than the $1.99 generic wool gloves and are very comfy to fish with. The Filson's have an extended wrist sleeve, which fits really nice up under the long sleeve of what ever jacket or thermal layer ya might be wearing. The pair Marty showed, are also warm, have that nice flip over mitten for when yer runnin, but they are too bulky and not near as comfy ta fish in versus the Filson style. You can Google search : Merino Wool Fingerless gloves and come up with a lot of options to shop for.

ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I run two pair in my boat the wool ones like Marty has shown for in the morning when im running around and its uber cold and a pair of fleece fingerless gloves that have the rubber grip on the palm for when the sun comes out - i just cant fish with gloves that cover my finger or thumb -
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
bayscotter

Post by bayscotter »

I find the surgical glove very nice. It allows to thumb the spool and you can even tie knots with them on. Keeps your hands dry and the wind off. You can also wear your big gloves over them while on runs. 5 bucks for 100 & works for me
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

Another vote for the Simms Windstopper gloves. I use the fingerless ones.

When making long runs, especially the first in the morning, I wear some uber thick snow gloves.