What is the America Dream?

For political discussions
Marty

What is the America Dream?

Post by Marty »

I ask this question to find out what most think what is the America Dream and once you list it then answer do we still have it?
Skeeterman

Re: What is the America Dream?

Post by Skeeterman »

Prosparity!No we don't!
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

L,L and PoH. and yes the American dream is still there. Waiting for anyone to grab it and run with it.

Everyone may not end up as Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, but everyone in America can build their dream. Most are just too XXXXXX see it , take it and stay the course long enough to reach it.

A person thats dream is to own a world famous cafe, will pass on a hotdog stand that is there to grab, because hes waiting on someone else to build it run it through the rough spots THEN give it too him. Never thinking that the stand will provide the steps to the bigger dream.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

HAPPY THANKSGIVING GUYS
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

Back to you Greg!
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I cannot disagree with Wikipedia's written definition:

The American Dream is a national ethos of the United States in which freedom includes a promise of the possibility of prosperity and success. In the definition of the American Dream by James Truslow Adams in 1931, "life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement" regardless of social class or circumstances of birth. The idea of the American Dream is rooted in the United States Declaration of Independence which proclaims that "all men are created equal" and that they are "endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights" including "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

I bolded a trouble spot with me and think we all might see differently. I see an America with a scale representing ability and achievement like this.

What I see now is this. I'd like to see B and C coming closer together.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Marty

Post by Marty »

Very good answer Greg!

Let me ask all of you “What would you rather be? The King of England in 1263 or you?
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Marty wrote:Very good answer Greg!

Let me ask all of you “What would you rather be? The King of England in 1263 or you?

Thats an easy one. ME
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Marty, in a classrom where having the students Feel good is the object . Gregggs answer may be construed as right. BUT in the real world the use of Ability OR Achievement is not correct. A person can have ability with no drive and achieve nothing. while another person can have no ability but a very strong drive to achieve and end up with his dream. I think that may be why Presuit of happyness was put in instead of the garantee of happyness
Someone with no formal schooling but a strong drive and the ability to see their dream can still ACHIEVE that dream

There will always be the rich and people saying that because they are there holding the rest down ,the dream is lost. I say there is no law natural or by man that limits the number that can become rich, only the limits of our own mind