Alabama Rig_Defined For California

MannyBasi

Alabama Rig_Defined For California

Post by MannyBasi »

I got this from Danny Peluso which received this from fish and game.

Alabama Rig – Is it legal for use in California inland waters?
2.00. FISHING METHODS -- GENERAL.
• (a) Except as otherwise authorized, all fish may be taken only by angling with one closely attended rod and line or one hand line with not more than three hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached thereto. Anglers in possession of a valid two-rod stamp and anglers under 16 years of age may use up to two rods in inland waters which regulations provide for the taking of fish by angling, except those waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used. See District Trout, Salmon and Special regulations for exceptions.
• (b) Snagging is prohibited. Snagging is o impale a fish in any part of its body other than the mouth by use of a hook, hooks, gaff, or other mechanical implement. This definition does not include activities otherwise authorized under these regulathe lawful use of a gaff, bow and arrow, or spear. (c) It
defined as impaling or attempting t
tions for
• is unlawful to kill, or retain in possession any fish which has not voluntarily
take
1.11. ARTIFICIAL LURE.
de lure or fly designed to attract fish. This
1.60. LURE.
article or object equipped with one or more hooks designed to attract or
The Alabama Rig is legal for use in California inland waters as long as the
n the bait or artificial lure in its mouth. Any fish not taken pursuant to these regulations, shall be released immediately back into the water.
An artificial lure is a man-ma
definition does not include scented or flavored artificial baits.
A manufactured
catch fish.
Rig is attached to one rod with one line and no more than 3 of the attachedlures contain hooks. Those lures containing hooks may have no more than 3 hooks attached to each lure.
mark poulson

Re: Alabama Rig_Defined For California

Post by mark poulson »

If I'm reading it right, you can have three lures on your A rig, each of which has three treble hooks on it.
Does that sound right?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

Sort of Mark. In order to be considered a lure, it must have a hook. If you have 5 arms on the rig with a small swimbait on each arm, only 3 of the swimbaitscan have a hook. Those three, however, can have up to 3 hooks each (a treble hook is considered one hook by regulation). The other 2 cannot have any hooks and are not considered under the regulation to be lures.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

That makes sense. Thanks.
CLEAN AND DRY
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

This was put up on the site about two weeks ago from the Bass-A-Thon where a DFG officer spoke directly on the subject. This 2 minute diddy is purty clear on how this works in California without having to deciphor the reg as it's written.
http://www.westernbass.com/dotcom/tv/vi ... id=0000993
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Cooch,
I watched Mike's video, and was still confused.
MannyBasi quoted the DFG reg 2.00, in part, saying,"not more than three hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached thereto. "
I read that to mean what bryanmc said in this thread.
but Mike's video didn't make that clear to me.
CLEAN AND DRY
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Ah, the confused thing, nuff said! Been there, done that....HAR!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I was thinking of using three cranks with multiple trebles, but who am I kidding?
I'd wind up at the Chiropractor if I tried to throw a rig like that. Hahaha
CLEAN AND DRY
bmshepherd

Post by bmshepherd »

so how do you rig the 2 hookless baits and make them swim correctly.....can you have a hook on them and cut off the point and barb?
dobynsrods.com
propointlures.com
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

Fishing is only as complicated as you make it. :lol:
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

bassindon69 wrote:Fishing is only as complicated as you make it. :lol:
+10
~~~Gary "Obi-Hub" Collins
:mrgreen: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :mrgreen:
luvmystratos

Post by luvmystratos »

I watched the Rig being used by Paul Elias this weekend on the FLW Outdoors tournament held on Lake Guntersville in Alabama. Only a few of the guys were using the rig. It looks rather cumbersome but it was effective. I saw one guy catch 3 Bass on one cast. The one thing that they all complained about was how much effort it took to throw it all day. Elias was pooped out after the weigh in. He had a 15lb lead after two days of fishing. You definitely need a sturdy Rod to heave that contraption out. He had 5 Small Swim Baits on that thing; finished with 102Lbs 8 Oz on a 23lb Bag! Too bad the Calif. Regs only allow us to have 3 Baits on that thing!! Must give it a try!
Life is short enjoy each and everyday!
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

Look for several Alabama rig rods to come out after the first of the year. Lots of guys have been throwing them on Clearlake and most are catching fish on them. Seems to be mixed feelings on 3 or 5 wires, guys are using both.The weather has been beautiful up here and the water is still in the fifties
Dave
Joe W.

Post by Joe W. »

How well does this rig cast?
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

Castability has to do with the operator, the equipment and what you decide to attach to the rig. I spend 90% of my time throwing swimbaits up to 6 ounces so the equipment was not an issue. I've thrown everything from weedless flukes to 6 inch Huds and BaitSmiths on the Calabama rig so I can tell you there is a great deal of disparity from one end of the spectrum to the other. You just need to decide what size baits you can throw with your equipment without it being a grind.
Tree