Did you happen to see the TTBC today?

luvmystratos

Did you happen to see the TTBC today?

Post by luvmystratos »

Did any of you happen to see the Toyota Texas Bass Classic on WFN today? It was a good one to say the least. Keith Combs and Mike Iaconelli were tied with the exact weight at the end of the event. With a tie looming they had to go out and have a "fish off". The first one to catch a legal size fish (14IN) wins the event. The tournament was unique in that all fish were measured and weighed in on the Boat and released once the totals were recorded. Each Angler was allowed to keep one fish over 21 Inches in the Boat. Iaconelli had a big lead with about an hour to go and the Combs closed the gap, he was the leader going into the final day with a 4 LB lead. They both headed out to fish with Combs going about 10 minutes out and Iaconell just going out to the Rip Rap. Iaconelli caught two fish really quick but they were not of legal size. All of a sudden the phone rings on Iaconelli's boat; he asks the Official if that call was for Combs catching a fish; the Official told him it was over and Iaconelli went ballistic, he literally slammed his Rod down on the side of the Boat and broke it and then took the handle portion with the Reel attached and threw it into the Lake! I couldn't believe it; then he acts like nothing happened when the camera was on him and says "Combs deserves to win" and he gave all his usual excuses. This makes two years in a row that he has finished second in this event. This tantrum was worse than the one back a few years ago in the Classic.
Last edited by luvmystratos on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is short enjoy each and everyday!
kane-o

Re: Did you happen to see the TTBC today?

Post by kane-o »

ya that was crazy, there goes a $500 set up in the lake.. hell its free so wtf...ike has an anger issue.. great stick but needs to control his emotions
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

I don't have a problem with it, he was showing his emotions...
I think I would have broke my rod and then threw it into the water if I had lost 150,000 dollars.....Heck I would probably do the same if I won 150,000. Not to many times do you get the chance to go heads up with another angler and the first one to catch a 14" fish gets 150K.
longshot

Post by longshot »

Ya that show was awesome, I too like to hate on Ike but truth be told I have thrown my share of tantrums. He gets into it and you get raw emotion good, bad and ugly.
I was watching flw final day this guy drops 3 4lbers and "says its always a great day to be fishing if I'm going to have a bad day it's best to be on the final day". MY HERO and I'd like to have his attitude but honest to myself not a chance.
Oh ya great show/format.
Jeff
Hawg44Hustler

Post by Hawg44Hustler »

I'm not the biggest Ike fan but that was a great show...I was yelling at the tv.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

He is an emotional guy, and that is part of what makes him a great competitor, but his tantrum took away from Keith Combs' win.
Look who we're talking about, instead of the guy who made such a great 9th inning rally, and then won it in the 10th.
It's time for Ike act like a grownup.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Bassin

Post by Bassin »

I need to get WFN !
Bryan Vogt..... Central Cal Bassin
WackySenko

Post by WackySenko »

Even a ticket for throwing trash into the lake would not stop him from throwing his tantrums, because they just happen in the heat of the moment. Tantrums should not be telecast and the event holder should discourage this type of thing. Kids watch this and think that it is OK to do it, NOT.
mrobinett

Post by mrobinett »

I totally agree with WackySenko. The problem is, there's lots of people who think what he does is cool. He's a good enough fisherman to not need to bring attention to himself like this. In baseball games, they quit showing the people who run on the field, so why can't they not show this? Probably because it helps his brand. Personally, I think this behavior hurts our sport. It's embarassing.
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

i dont think his sponsors would be too happy about his antics... dont get me wrong i like ike, but he needs to keep his composure..
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

Bassin wrote:I need to get WFN !
Its on Versus
Mikeyy

Post by Mikeyy »

Frustration when your competing is among any sports! To win is why they are there in the first place! I don't blame Ike because many time I want to snap my pole and throw it over board! Maybe because Bass fishing have a differential of age group combine so a opinion of one is different than another. Your stuck on a boat with limited space and privacy while other sports you go into lockers or your travel trailer away from cameras to blow your steam!
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

If you train yourself. You dont have Heat Of The Moment. He hasnt trained himself because it has not hurt him to be this way, too many people give him slack :roll:
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
feelinminnesota

Post by feelinminnesota »

dude can fish, that's for sure. he is the most polarizing angler on tour. i am a low key guy and find ike's antics way over the top. from "never give up!" to this latest incedent, ike has always rubbed me the wrong way. i recall watching his show(city limis) a few times. he was really starting to change my opinion of him till one show his camera guy stepped on a rod and broke it. he whined and pouted like my 7 year old daughter. after that episode, i have no interest in all things ike.
do like the catch weigh and release format. seems to be the wave of the future. 8)