Opinions on Outboards (please everyone pipe in!)

rjones

Opinions on Outboards (please everyone pipe in!)

Post by rjones »

Friends,

I am in the market for an outboard and am beginning my search. Probably will not buy one for a year, so I want to know as much as I can (need some education from some of you guys)!

If you could buy any 150-175 outboard on the market, which would be your two top outboard purchases? Also, if you pick a 2 stroke over a 4 stroke, please let me know why?

Give me a #1 and a #2 if you wouldn't mind, I would appreciate it very much.

E-Tec, Yamaha, Merc, Suzuki........looking forward to reading your responses.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

RJ
fishwithron2

Re: Opinions on Outboards (please everyone pipe in!)

Post by fishwithron2 »

You mention market. New or used ???.
rjones

Post by rjones »

fish,

Which ever one you would like, just tell me why.

RJ
Heth1981

Post by Heth1981 »

I put a brand new 2010 150hp HO E-Tec on a 20' Stratos and can run 52mph. I'll be completly honest with you the first week that I had it the starter went out and then the lower unit. Yes I was pissed but I couldn't complain about the warranty I no crap had a new lower unit on the boat in less than 24 hrs and it was sent from texas to San Diego, plus they gave me a free case of oil. Since then I have not had a single problem with it at all and you can't go wrong with the no break in period and no maintence for 3 yrs. Even with the no maintence schedule for 3 yrs I'm still going to replace the impellor this spring just to be safe. Overall I am very pleased with my e-tec and would recommend it to anyone that's in the market. Best of luck
split172

Post by split172 »

I have owned 2 used Yamaha HPDI 200HP on two different boats. Never one issue. I would take a Yamaha over a Merc any day (Just preference). But with that being said, if you buy used, definitely get a compression check completed and request the hours and maintenance records as well.

I believe if the motor is used regularly, not abused, and maintained, it will last!

I would get the most motor you can afford. Stick with a YAMI or a MERC..
rjones

Post by rjones »

@Chintzy, thanks for your response. The one thing that really intrigues me about the E-Tec is the nasa material they are using. Also, they claim that if the oil pump stops working, it can go 5 hours before any damage takes place. I like this feature and thing it is awesome. Would pay extra $$$ if this is true.

@Split, thanks for your response. In early 90's owned a Yami Pro-V 150 for 9 years. Never, let me repeat with emphasis, NEVER NEVER ONE PROBLEM. At the time, everyone said that they didn't have enough dealers, etc... the same thing I am hearing about Suzuki, thus if Suzuki is going to grow in the marine market, there will be dealers around. Love Yamaha, am leery about Merc, E-Tec seems really good, intrigued by Suzuki.

For reliability, isn't 4 stroke better than 2 stroke?
bobperry

Post by bobperry »

yamaha 4 stroke or honda 4 stroke
rjones

Post by rjones »

Thanks Bob!

Why Yama or Honda?

RJ
bobperry

Post by bobperry »

1st my tournament partner was a boat mechanic. We were discussing your post while fishing and his feeling was the four strokes were more reliable. Now I know everyone is always talking about the four stroke and their lack of hole shot, but its not true. The right size motor at the proper height with the correct prop and the hole shot will be good. 2nd, I've been an auto mechanic for over 35 years and I know the quality of Honda products. Whether it's a motorcycle, a car or an outboard, Honda builds a great motor. Yamaha is on the same page. Four stroke engines are very different from two strokes. Two strokes have less moving parts but are more finicky.They are better now with the fuel injection. The four stroke is more efficient so your fuel mileage will be better. No oil mixing with the fuel so it's cleaner out the exhaust. I could go on and on. I've got a 225hp Yamaha and love it . I've also had two Mercury motors and they where very good. Two of my friends with E Tec motors have had nothing BUT problems. I had surgery a couple years ago and spent a lot time on the coach on my laptop researching outboard problems. Yamaha was the most reliable 2 stroke, so I searched the state finding another Ranger with a Yamaha.Also, the marine patrol at the county I work for runs a Honda after running OMC and Merc with little success. Sorry this was so long and its just my opinion.
rjones

Post by rjones »

Thanks Bob.

It seems to me that Honda, Yamaha and even Suzuki are really really good motors. The issue that I have is I want t 4 stroke and I want a 4 stroke with a reputation of minimal problems and backing from the manufacturer.

I am open, because I am not going to purchase something until the end of 2012 or beginning of 2013.

I appreciate everyones post, it helps me with my search.

RJ
XMAN

Post by XMAN »

..I have 2 friends, one with a 90 merc 4 stroke and the other had a 115 merc 4 stroke, who now has a 150 yammie 4 stroke..they will never go back to a 2/stroke...X
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Had both Yamaha and Merc. Would take a Yamaha anyday. JMHO
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
bobperry

Post by bobperry »

choosing a dealer will be just as hard as choosing which outboard to buy. some dealers will stand behind their product better than others. who has the best warranty ? which dealer has the most experience with 4 strokes? when you're spending that kind of money you really need to do your homework.
rjones

Post by rjones »

Should I call each manufacturer and ask them how they rate their dealership in NorCal?

MLK
bobperry

Post by bobperry »

Try the Sportsman show in Sacramento in January at Cal Expo. Should be a lot of manufactures there and boat dealers.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

I like Yamahas, but the number of dealers is limited somewhat. If you look at the ratings of 4 strokes, you'll notice that Yamaha is ranked well above Honda in consumer satisfaction. All local patrol agencies use Yamaha 4 strokes. I've used several Honda- I'd avoid the larger ones. My preference for a bass boat is a Optimax XS, as there's tons of dealers and they use less fuel than an eTec. My friends with eTecs have all replaced lower units, but they are super quiet engines. I have no engine sponsor to support btw-
Rich461

Post by Rich461 »

I have owned and worked on them all. I have seen their strengths and weaknesses.
I had 2 Merc's early on and both quit on me. I have had 3 Yamahas and they are still
going strong. One is on a 1989 Stratos and I have done work on it over the years and it
is still running great. My '97 Yamaha I have now is still within 2% of factory specs. We
scoped the cylinders in April 2011 and not a scratch on them.

I have always voted for Yamaha.
1997 Ranger 461VS