Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well known

drew

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Post by drew »

Really your going to post something about a new regulation on a site which is mostly viewed by red blooded patriotic Americans who deeply care about what little freedom they have left because you think its better for you and a select group of people who share your beliefs.

I question your motives. How many tournaments have been won using the rig in CA since its conception? How long will it work before the fish adapt to it? What is the real utility that we can expect from this new regulation?
Mike Tuck wrote:National level Professionals whom share the same views and goals as I got together and started this petition. Please join my peers and I and sign this petition and forward it to all of your friends whom have an interest in competitive fishing.

See below

Mike Tuck

Ban The A Rig Petition | GoPetition
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/ban-the-a-rig.html
Dynastyworms

Post by Dynastyworms »

I agree 100% with al and Steve reed. If you don't like the rig don't throw it. B.A.S.S. was wrong to ban it. They stepped in and removed a fish catching technique for what reason? Does it go against fish and game rules? No, so why step in?
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

Dynastyworms wrote:I agree 100% with al and Steve reed. If you don't like the rig don't throw it. B.A.S.S. was wrong to ban it. They stepped in and removed a fish catching technique for what reason? Does it go against fish and game rules? No, so why step in?
remember??? It means too many fish caught. catching too many fish on derby day is WRONG. :roll:
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I have a question..... of all the people who have posted their opinions in this thread, how many would be affected personally if say the FLW decided to ban it?

James
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

The point is that it's not a bait its a "RIG" . we are putting 3,4,5 or 10 baits on the "Rig"where do we draw the line? What's next a swimbait trotline we can drag around but only be allowed to have hooks on the last 3 baits.If there ever was a bait to get rid of that leveled the playing field, it would've been the senko. You are 100% right there.

I'm just saying, I don't like the direction this thing is pulling us in, and the precedent i is setting.

Mike Tuck
Trackerbass

Post by Trackerbass »

I wonder how many of the "ban the A-rig" guys would have voted to ban flipping when Mr. Thomas was kicking *** with it? It was "too easy". It was "unfair". Just wondering. No bait or technique will ever be the be all, end all to bass fishing. The anglers and the bass will both adjust. They allways do.
smpboy

Post by smpboy »

ban it just wait till the spawn comes around and people drop 6 baits on a bed and catch both fish at the same time how is that ok, just leave the rig to the meat anglers who fish for stripers it has no sporting purpose
BRADGMAA

Post by BRADGMAA »

I say ban the a rig........ it takes the integrity out of the sport and the new stuff companys are coming out with amazes me. family of frogs, the bama buzz, were is bass fishing going. i even heard of the the spreader punch rig come on guys its going to make fishing one lure obsolete. alabama rig during prespawn, winter and fall and guys will switch to the family of frogs rig during the summer. it will never go away and the rigs will get more ridiculous.
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

Thanks for the support, 133 signatures in 2 days isn't too bad considering how small of a group this affects. It's not like were going on CBS and having a national spotlight report done here. Seriously, we had like 78 boats at the last Pro-am. Keep up the momentum by passing it along on all social media outlets, my space, facebook, personal web pages, fishing websites, etc.

Mike Tuck
drew

Post by drew »

There are a lot irrational worry wort's that are overly concerned about the unknown, but the fact is that just as many tournaments will be lost because of the rig as will be won with it.

It really sucks when we have a bunch nervous people that want to make regulation and laws to limit something before they even understand its value. Its these knee jerk reaction individuals that are ruining our country.
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

drew wrote:There are a lot irrational worry wort's that are overly concerned about the unknown, but the fact is that just as many tournaments will be lost because of the rig as will be won with it.

It really sucks when we have a bunch nervous people that want to make regulation and laws to limit something before they even understand its value. Its these knee jerk reaction individuals that are ruining our country.

+1
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

I saw a blurb in the SF chronicle about the Alabama Rig - I was just thinking, what if it got banned and they ran the story... "A popular fishing lure known as the 'Alabama Rig' has been banned from tournament competition. The rule was instated because the lure catches too many fish." I can't imagine the laughs!
Monsterfishingtackle.com
CN

Post by CN »

Mr. Tuck, could you please explain to me exactly what you intend to do with this petition. Who are you going to take this to, the state of California fish and game and have them outlaw it. Would it be for Tournament's only or banned all together here in California. If that is your intent that is rather selfish inst it since it's leagl to use here at this point.

And no I dont use them or fish tournament's I had my share of that back in the 80's.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

CN, please review the previous content. I've been very clear that It is for "tournaments" only. Otherwise I'm chucking that thing if i'm going fun fishing. I just spent another $200.00 on A-rig stuff an hour ago.
ppickerell

Post by ppickerell »

Mike Tuck wrote:CN, please review the previous content. I've been very clear that It is for "tournaments" only. Otherwise I'm chucking that thing if i'm going fun fishing. I just spent another $200.00 on A-rig stuff an hour ago.
That there is pretty funny. It is your GOTO rig for fun fishing but you want it banned for tournament use?
02 Champion 206 DC Elite
Bobber Lobber
NitroSport

Post by NitroSport »

[/quote]That there is pretty funny. It is your GOTO rig for fun fishing but you want it banned for tournament use?[/quote]

Pretty much just like live bait. A bunch of us go up to Clear Lake & hammer fish on minnows for fun, but for some reason they're banned in tournaments. Why wasn't this outcry so loud when Gene banned the rig in the Hook tournaments?
kitjack

Post by kitjack »

I am still trying to figure out what it means to sign a pettion anonymously. The whole idea of signing a petition is to put together a verifyable list of people who want something to be done a certain way. Anyone could obviously say they have a million ananymous signatures.

And what is so scary about letting your opinion be known about whether the A-rig should be allowed in tournaments anyway. There will still be a zillion of them sold, and tournament anglers will buy them to use outside of tournaments too. From what i hear it's hard to even get things like wire, swivels and plastics right now there are so many being made and sold.

I think they are probably good for our western tournaments. If it levels the playing field a little bit that's only going to increase the number of people fishing tournaments, which will only get the better anglers larger checks. You still have to find em and the guys who win all the time spend the most time on the water and know where to find the better fish.
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

FLW has stated their position.... Well written.
http://www.flwoutdoors.com/fishing-arti ... labama-rig
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

FLW
20.Jan.2012 by Kathy Fennel

The Alabama Rig has taken the bass-fishing world by storm. Every discussion about its use seems to generate an emotional response unlike anything I’ve seen in my more than 30 years in the sport.

For every passionate plea that it be banned from tournaments, there is an equally passionate plea that it be allowed. No matter which side of the debate you are on, one thing is undeniable: The Alabama Rig has generated a level of excitement and interest in bass fishing unlike anything that has come before.

Since their inception, tournaments have been the spawning ground for lure, equipment and technique innovations that help recreational anglers catch more and bigger fish. It’s the reason fans tune in to our television shows, visit our websites, read our magazines and attend our events. There are millions of bass anglers out there with an insatiable appetite for cutting-edge information that will make them better at their sport. To argue that the Alabama Rig and other castable umbrella rigs be banned from tournaments is to believe that we’ve finally reached the end of innovation; that the great equalizer has been found; that the only thing separating novice anglers from the world’s top professionals is a weighted head with five wire leaders and swimbaits. There is nothing more to learn.

We believe professional anglers deserve more credit than that. We believe their skill and intuition will not be undercut by a baitfish-imitating technique that helps less experienced anglers catch fish when otherwise they might not. Will it force some pros to elevate their game and adapt? Of course it will. Just like GPS, side-imaging sonar, sight-fishing, shallow-water anchors and countless lure, line and rod innovations have done over the years. Buzzbaits and ChatterBaits were once considered radical, as were flipping and sight-fishing. But they are all simply tools of the trade now. The same will hold true for Alabama Rigs. It’s not the end of fishing as we know it.

Anglers are still held to a daily five-fish limit. Tournaments are still catch-and-release. Our conservation ethic has not changed. We’ve taken the additional step of contacting wildlife officials in each state hosting an event in every FLW circuit to urge them to study the effects of castable umbrella rigs on live release rates. If conservation issues are discovered, we will reevaluate our rules accordingly. For now, we are leaving that in the capable hands of the experts within each state, and castable umbrella rigs will be permitted in our 2012 tournaments.

Sincerely,

Kathy Fennel

President, Operations Division

FLW Outdoors
Kathy Fennel - as always, on point.
Monsterfishingtackle.com
ACP

Post by ACP »

Nice going FLW. Finally an organization that got it right!
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

That's great news! I'm so excited to go fish such an illustrious event were everybody will be throwing the same thing! The anticipation is killing me.
I can appreciate an alternative view of something. After all the organizations have a lot more at stake than I do. Once it gets to be boring and redundant there are hundreds of other hobbies I can spend my money on.

I sincerely hope i end up laughing about this in 3 years about just how wrong I was. For now it seems as though at least we have been heard. FLW has let us know they are monitoring the situation closely and allowing the new rig because they believe it is what is in the best interest of the sport; based on the information that is available so far.

Thank you Kathy for letting your customers know you are listening.

See you guys at shasta,

Mike Tuck

p.s. I wonder if it's too early for my calibama Punker rig?
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Paul Elias say on the last day of his victory at Guntersville ....

"One thing that I have been keeping a secret all week is this HydroWave"..BAMB he sticks another fish.
massbaster

Post by massbaster »

I Agree with FLW . Why are we trying to ban something that just came out ? we really dont know what this rig will be doing in a couple of years, its something the fish have not seen before, sorta like swimbaits and the chatterbait remember those? Those things dominated when they first came out as well , but they are not so hot anymore are they? And no its not going to dominate somewhere like the delta during the spawn , its for schooling fish and not much else.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

I don’t get it. The raison d’etre of the BASS organization and their top level product spokesmen (ie, the Elite field) is to fuel and sustain sales for the recreational fishing industry. How exactly does this ban accomplish the primary goal of selling more product for the interests/industry backers/sponsors?
mike at robo

Post by mike at robo »

So the point of contention is that we all get tired of watching professional athletes competing in there respective sports because they will all be in the finals of there respective sports competing with exactly the same equipment ......
1 baseball
2 basketball
3 football
4 hockey
5 soccer
Yup everybodys pretty tired of watching these sports .
masterbassinater

Post by masterbassinater »

everybody has their own opinion but only time will tell.
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

These threads are so silly. Petition what? its a bait! If it was only doing ok in tourneys then nobody would care! Like Andrews said, what about the Senko. When that thing came out it was stupid easy. No ban. And am i understanding that Mr. Tuck thinks we should have banned the senko for "leveling the playing field" ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Its a straight fat worm! "BAN EVERYTHING THAT IS A GOOD FISH CATCHER!" :lol: :lol: thats a great idea! And how long do you really think it will take for the fish to get hip to the a-rig. Its a big huge wire dangling mess. It wont take long for fish to recognize that thing and get conditioned to it. And who cares if in a tournament all the top guys are throwing one. In most tourneys all the top guys are throwing mainly the same thing. As my son would say, "bunch of Winey McWinersons."
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

"I can appreciate an alternative view of something. After all the organizations have a lot more at stake than I do. Once it gets to be boring and redundant there are hundreds of other hobbies I can spend my money on."

I guess some people like to fish tournaments and others actually enjoy going fishing.
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

The corporate overlords at Pure Fishing will have to intervene and put the kibosh on any of these silly bans. It’s cutting into potential sales of their knockoff product before it even has an opportunity to reach the market. There's lots of $$$ to be made still and BASS is keeping them from making it.
leachman90

Post by leachman90 »

So whats next? We talk about what is fair and what is not fair. And I have read how the A-Rig takes no skill yet still might win tourneys over guys that are not using it that are better fishermen. Or guys that have put the time in and are getting screwed because of the A-Rig. Well whats the difference with the info rule. If we are talking about skill then lets ban cell phones for all guys fishing tournaments for 60 days before it starts. I know guys that can be fishing a tournament on the west coast and when the day is done they get on the phone and call one of the top anglers(there are many, so no one in particular) in the world on the east coast and get as much info as possible. From locations to baits and so on and so on. Yeah I know things change and **** happens but how is it fair to have some one hand you all you need just because you are a top dog and know a lot of other guys? Just like a lot of other things the A-Rig will run it's course and we will find something else to complain about.
www.insideline.net/index.php/forum
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

I think the petition to ban the A-rig is a noble one. There could be those who might claim it's a senseless and silly thought process, it's just a lure with multiple hooks and baits. But therein lies the problem, it is indeed a rig of multiple lures. In reality it's a smaller version of a down rigger, who's specific use for ages, has been used by saltwater fishermen for trolling, which by the way is an illegal form of catching fish in bass tournaments. The A-rig, is not a lure by any definition other than that of the wide array of opinions by many. It's a rig, that allows you to attach many lures to present to fish. The lures that an angler can attach to this rig, is limitless, whether it be 3-5 swimbaits, grubs, Senkos, crankbaits, ripbaits, jigs, chatterbaits. This rig, allows you to attach multiple lures. If you remove ALL the lures, the A-rig is nothing at all.

Using such a rig to catch fish, on any given day, by anglers who are out to catch fish on their own time, to me is perfectly fine. Using the A-Rig in a tournament, I believe will have a greater impact from a negative standpoint than a positive one. Sure, it will increase sales of certain manufactures, but what about every other manufacturer who doesn't make A-rigs and all the other baits we use? As tournament anglers, how are we gonna look our sponsors in the eye, continue to ask them to support us with the lures and baits they make, when every tournament angler will soon be using this rig exclusively?

What if this lure proves to continue to catch fish year round, and everyone in the field is tossing it? As bass fishing tournament anglers, do we all want to basically participate in A-rig tournaments only, where if yer not tossing this thing, yer just a donator? Rest assured, this thing will be just as effective in the spring when bass are spawning. Remember, only 30-40% of the fish in a lake spawn at the same time. They come in waves. That means 60-70% are out their susceptible to the A-rig. How many times has Dobyns won a spring time tournament, never targeting bed fish? This rig will catch those pre and post spawners, believe that. Comparing tournament fishing to other sports, I think is a lil farfetched. The tools we have at our disposal, unlike theirs, is unlimited. Why would we want to limit what the anglers are using? Basically that's what would happen, anglers would be limited to "having" to use the A-rig to compete. I believe, bass fishing fans are more intrigued with seeing and learning about a wide array of tactics and the opportunity to be versatile. At some point, like the contestants, we will get bored and move on.

Scott Martin, the FLWs Angler of The Year, made another great point in his seminar regarding his thoughts about this that I believe also are valid. The A-rig, is specifically used and effective to catch suspending fish. Fish that otherwise would be very difficult to catch. Suspending bass, by nature’s way, are basically resting or recovering, attempting to escape harm’s way for whatever reason. The weekend crowd will be hammerin em and the tournament guys with their savvy are sure to find em even better. What affect will the constant onslaught of these fish being caught with the A-rig, have on our mortality of fishes in our fisheries? Surely, there will be those arm chair anglers who will claim this to be no different than removing bed fish and relocating them, maybe rightfully so. Yet, It's an interesting thought I had not seen discussed.

Bottom line is, it's a rig of multiple lures, not a single lure. Tournament rules state we can only use an artificial lure. That rule's intent, was for a single rod, and a single lure, not a rig full of several lures. If the anglers who are fishing these high level tournaments, come together and decide they do not want this rig used in the events they are fishing, then so be it. It's out of line for the rest of us arm chair anglers, to raise such a fuss about something we are not even going to be involved with.

For all the right reasons, I applaud BASS, Scott Martin and Mike Tuck for taking the stance they have regarding the Alabama rig. It is a rig, not a lure and if they choose not to have them used in their events, more power to em! As for the rest of us arm chair anglers, let's go down, get in line, gobble em up and start tossin em, they are a fish catchin machine! I'll still keep my Senko and jig rods on the deck though, 3 rods is perfect! HAR!
Tobey

Post by Tobey »

Cooch wrote:I think the petition to ban the A-rig is a noble one. There could be those who might claim it's a senseless and silly thought process, it's just a lure with multiple hooks and baits. But therein lies the problem, it is indeed a rig of multiple lures. It reality, it's a smaller version of a down rigger, who's specific use for ages has been used by saltwater fishermen for trolling, which by the way is an illegal form of catching fish in tournaments. The A-rig, is not a lure by any definition, other than that of the wide array of opinions by many. It's a rig, that allows you to attach many lures to present to fish. The lures that an angler can attach to this rig, is limitless Whether it be 3-5 swimbaits, grubs, Senkos, crankbaits, ripbaits, jigs, chatterbaits, the rig, allows you to attach multiple lures. If you remove ALL the lures, the A-rig is nothing at all.

Using such a rig to catch fish on any given day by anglers who are out to catch fish on their own time, to me is perfectly fine. Using the A-Rig in a tournament, I believe will have a greater impact from a negative standpoint than positive. Sure, it will increase sales of certain manufactures, but what about every other manufacturer who doesn't make a-rigs and all the other baits we use? As tournament anglers, how are we gonna look our sponsors in the eye and continue ask them to support us with the lures and baits they make, when every tournament angler will soon be using this rig exclusively?

What if this lure proves to continue to catch fish year round, and everyone in the field is tossing it? As bass fishing tournament anglers, do we all want to basically participate in A-rig tournaments only, where if yer not tossing this thing, yer just a donator? Rest assured, this thing will be just as effective in the spring when bass are spawning, remember, only 30-40% of the fish in a lake, spawn at the same time, they come in waves, that means 60-70% are out their susceptible to the A-rig. How many times has Dobyns won a spring time tournament, never targeting bed fish? This rig will catch those pre and post spawners, believe that. Comparing tournament fishing to other sports, I think is a lil farfetched, the tools we have at our disposal, unlike theirs, is unlimited, why would we want to limit what the anglers are using? Basically that's what would happen, anglers would be limited to "having" to use the A-rig to compete. I believe, bass fishing fans are more intrigued with seeing and learning about a wide array of tactics and the opportunity to be versatile. At some point, like the contestants, we will get bored and move on.

Scott Martin, the FLWs Angler of The Year, made another great point in his seminar regarding his thoughts about this that I believe also are valid. The A-rig, is specifically used and effective to catch suspending fish. Fish that otherwise would be very difficult to catch. Fish by nature’s way, who are basically resting or recovering, attempting to escape harm’s way for whatever reason. The weekend crowd will be hammerin em, and the tournament guys with their savvy are sure to find em better. What affect will the constant onslaught of these fish being caught with the A-rig, will it have on our mortality of fishes in our fisheries? Surely, there will be those arm chair anglers who will claim this to be no different than removing bed fish and relocating them, maybe rightfully so. Yet, It's an interesting thought I had not seen discussed.

Bottom line is, it's a rig of multiple lures, not a single lure. Tournament rules state we can only use an artificial lure. That rule's intent, was for a single rod, and a single lure, not a rig full of several lures. If the anglers who are fishing these high level tournaments, come together and decide they do not wants this rig used in the events they are fishing, then so be it. It's out of line for the rest of us arm chair anglers, to raise such a fuss about something we are not even going to be involved with.

For all the right reasons, I applaud BASS, Scott Martin and Mike Tuck for taking the stance they have regarding the Alabama rig. It is a rig, not a lure and if they choose not to have them used in their events, more power to em! As for the rest of us arm chair anglers, let's go down, get in line, gobble em up and start tossin em, they are a fish catchin machine! I'll still keep my Senko and jig rods on the deck though, 3 rods is perfect! HAR!
+1 Well stated

Ron
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

Cooch, well written. Why stop at 3-5 lures, we're all a creative bunch, how about 10, 20, ... etc... Of course 3 hooks and the reset are teasers, may be difficult to use, etc... but the point is where is the line drawn?

Another proof of its great powers, if you will. I watched Alan Fong's demonstration of various lures during his striper seminar at the ISE show Friday evening. The fish in the tank were oblivious to just about everything he threw, except the 3 lure A rig, when he hooked 2, follow by another just about ready to inhale one of the lures if it weren't for the smaller ones beating to it. It appears the A rig doesn't just help catch fish, it appeals to the fish's natural instincts so much to the point of forcing them to hit it.

To me, it's like watching Beyonce throw herself at you while Taylor Swift and Blake Lively begging you to choose them instead. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will now shut up and keep dreaming...

James
Jkozak11

Post by Jkozak11 »

If we start banning imitation lures let me repeat imitation lures then we should ban these fancy electronic side imaging down imaging and devise that provide sound wave to attract fish.

It getting to the point you might as well place a diver in the water like Hook and Look and put a head set on the fisherman to tell him when to set the hook.

Joe
drew

Post by drew »

Maybe we should just ban fishing all together and lock up anyone who thinks of pursuing little green fish. All the people who work in the sport fishing related industries will lose their jobs and increase the unemployment rate.

I recently read a thread with the same title and OP on another site (BBC) that is frequented by the rest of country and the response was much different. Is the CA way of thinking dragging the country down?
Jkozak11 wrote:If we start banning imitation lures let me repeat imitation lures then we should ban these fancy electronic side imaging down imaging and devise that provide sound wave to attract fish.

It getting to the point you might as well place a diver in the water like Hook and Look and put a head set on the fisherman to tell him when to set the hook. Joe
Jkozak11

Post by Jkozak11 »

I am for innovation and I am for this new rig that's why this industry is growing at such a rapid rate is these new realistic baits allow everyone to catch fish. There will always be individuals in a tournament that have an advantage either due to better electronics, faster boat, better fishing gear or just more time on the water.
Ultimately it the guy that puts the right pattern together wins not necessarily by the bait he or she chooses.
drew

Post by drew »

I agree. I knew you were being sarcastic. I was just adding. :wink:
Jkozak11 wrote:I am for innovation and I am for this new rig that's why this industry is growing at such a rapid rate is these new realistic baits allow everyone to catch fish. There will always be individuals in a tournament that have an advantage either due to better electronics, faster boat, better fishing gear or just more time on the water.
Ultimately it the guy that puts the right pattern together wins not necessarily by the bait he or she chooses.
dbbasser

Post by dbbasser »

I’m concerned about this rig from a fish handling standpoint how are going to carefully remove up to five fish at a time and then try culling out up to 5 more fish in the tank? I just don’t see this method as being that sporting and it reduces the skill required to catch fish.
One thing for sure you can bet that everybody and his brother will be out there chucking or trolling this rig for bass :!:

I signed it ....
Danny Barker
Jody

Post by Jody »

Come on, why does FLW allow nets and BASS does not. None of this makes any sence. If it is legal and you catch fish, and everyone plays by the rules go for it. No matter what is decided, if I use the A-rig in a touney where Tuck is using it also, Tuck will kick my a##. I just want to be put in the position of getting half of my limit with one cast.
CN

Post by CN »

Half your limit in one cast.............wouldnt that be 2-1/2 fish :lol:
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

CN wrote:Half your limit in one cast.............wouldnt that be 2-1/2 fish :lol:
effin sea lions bitin those fish in half again :twisted:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Jason Borofka

Post by Jason Borofka »

24.Jan.2012 by Dave Lefebre

Let me start by saying I don’t think either BASS or FLW has another reasonable option other than to prohibit multi-bait rigs from their tournaments.

Though I admit it can be fun and exhilarating to catch four or five fish on multiple casts, is this really appropriate for professional tournament fishing? Is it fitting to even be talking about making it easy for everyone to catch a ton of fish in a Tour event?

I think anyone would be foolish to have not recognized the undeniable spark of excitement the fishing industry has seen since Paul Elias won the Lake Guntersville event. I understand that completely and I also understand this rig will be very profitable for a lot of companies as well as many pros sponsored by those companies. But I don’t think that any of us want to ban umbrella rigs from production, but simply from our professional tours. This is our current battle as it pertains to us, nothing more.

Based on comments I’ve read and listened to repeatedly, this must come as a shock to many, but an umbrella rig is nothing new; it is not a new innovation and it is certainly not a new “lure” or “bait” as countless contend. I have heard of striper guides using them since I was a young kid. But did I, or the thousands of others thinking the same thing, ever think it would be allowed in the highest levels of competitive bass fishing? Of course not!

A local old-timer I know chuckles at the comments that give credit to someone “inventing” the same umbrella rig he used to troll with back in the mid-60s. He even worked with Shakespeare to develop rods for trolling these rigs. He gives credit to a Mr. Sekora, who first made the rig known to him, more than 50 years ago. These rigs prompted fisheries officials to create restrictive laws in some states, including Tennessee, roughly 15 years ago.

If FLW allows professionals to use umbrella rigs in their FLW Tour events, where will the line be drawn? How many baits will pros be allowed to employ on the rig in a tournament if there are no state limits in place? Should this decision really be left to a fish warden or a state agency? How will FLW officials police it state by state? And what about lakes on state or national borders? Will the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy become the norm with professional anglers? You bet it will. I would say keep it consistent across the board – one rod, one bait per line!

What happens when an angler catches four or five keepers on one cast and already has a limit in the livewell? Would that be considered possession of fish over the state limit where the tournament is being held? No one has been able to offer a good answer to that question over the past three months, with the exception of one Pennsylvania Fish Commissioner. “Well, you could be in big trouble,” he said and then laughed.

In Pennsylvania you are allowed three hooks per line and a treble is considered to be one hook, so that seems pretty black and white. But some state laws aren’t so clear. Couple that with bodies of water bordering other states or countries, and then add already confusing reciprocating laws into the mix and it becomes a real mess.

I’ve seen a few people admit to changing their minds about the umbrella rig over the last few months, but not many. Most of the time, we are of a stubborn nature, especially middle-aged men, which I’m sure are the majority reading this blog. We quickly and sometimes prematurely gravitate toward one side and rarely change our minds, even when we are challenged or proven wrong. When this happens, it tends to make us angry and even more defensive, myself included.

Those vehemently supporting umbrella rigs repeatedly use words such as “innovative,” “invention,” “tool,” and especially “lure” when describing it or arguing in its favor. Oftentimes, they also attempt to defend its use by pointing to other unique, but truly innovative lures, techniques and equipment used in professional angling. They mention things such as Lowrance’s GPS/Structure Scan, Power-Poles, HydroWave, Navionics, etc.

They even throw in examples like sight-fishing, landing nets, treble-hooked baits, buzzbaits and ChatterBaits in an attempt to show that umbrella rigs belong in our sport. Are they suggesting that two or more wrongs make a right? “Well, we already have sight-fishing, might as well throw in Alabama Rigs too?” As silly as that sounds, you can read these kinds of comments all over the Internet. Some of these could actually be valid topics, but they have nothing to do with the umbrella rig. Each “new twist” in fishing must be looked at separately.

To those who honestly think this multiple-rig concept will run its course and fade into the sunset, or believe that umbrella rigs are just a seasonal or regional application; you couldn’t be more mistaken. Five baits will always be better than one. Andy Poss has even said that his rig will work all over the country – from the surface all the way to the bottom during any time of the year. And he is absolutely right! Variations and offshoots will never stop coming.

I’ve watched several YouTube videos lately of striper anglers with at least 10 lures hanging from a single rod. When watching these videos, it doesn’t take long to realize another problem. As anyone who has fished it can tell you, the snagging of fish and the tangling involved in trying to land a fish with four or more other baits flying all over the place doesn’t look good. If we’re not comfortable with the visual damage that these rigs do to fish what might this look like to the general public?

Certainly, there are other conservation issues as well, but I tend to look at it more from a sporting, competitive, legal and professional viewpoint. I want the world to respect our sport and its athletes and not provide the mainstream more reason to mock us. I too, as FLW expressed in the open letter, think the Tour pros should be held to the highest of standards. The very core of competitive bass fishing is, and always has been, based on the premise that a tournament angler is only allowed to use one rod with one line and one lure at a time. The use of an umbrella rig is simply a method to circumvent that basic principle.

Some have instigated that those who support the ban are just jealous that Elias won that first event and we didn’t. I certainly don’t have any issue whatsoever with the anglers who used umbrella rigs at Guntersville or Kentucky Lake. In fact, I have nothing but respect for both Elias and Dan Morehead. If anything, I was irritated at myself because I lost the rig given to me by Mr. Poss, himself, only a month prior. I would have loved to win, but there was no more jealousy at Guntersville than any other tournament.

I looked everywhere for that thing after I heard about all the success following day one at Guntersville. I knew it would be productive in the area I was fishing, and had I found it, I would have used it. That was before I had time to study it and think about all of issues. I would have used it then. However, I will not use it now based on what I have seen with my own eyes, read and heard.

I made an educated decision; a decision that I believe shouldn’t take an entire season for other professionals and our tournament organizations to reach. Our officials had the great luxury to review the use of the rig at the end of a season and in my opinion, that should’ve been more than enough time.

Those who experienced Guntersville already know what this rig is capable of under the toughest of tough conditions. How about reviewing it for a year before allowing it on Tour? Furthermore, are we comfortable with all the hard fought, legitimate records falling overnight? If umbrella rigs are permitted this season and then banned for 2013, will FLW then go back and erase all the 2012 records and statistics, or will there be asterisks beside them, like in MLB?

My history with Andy Poss’ family goes back a long, long time. Laney Poss is the owner of Mango Tackle and just like Andy, absolutely loves fishing and designing lures. They are the definition of good people. Laney was the first person to offer free product to me as a teenager and I called him my first sponsor. I’ve won multiple local and regional tournaments on his buzzbaits, spinnerbaits and Mango Minnow soft jerkbait. I wore his logos and high-profile blue cap proudly for years. Therefore, I’m certainly not out to have a negative impact on Andy’s success as some accuse. I think he realizes that the knock-offs are hurting him more at this point than prohibiting this rig from professional tournaments could ever do. I would ask that if you are considering buying some of these rigs, the least you could do is buy the original Alabama Rig.

As far as FLW’s and BASS’s best interests are concerned, I, and others in the sport could be wrong about having, or not having co-anglers. We could be wrong about using our own boats and equipment every day of every event. We could be wrong about being allowed to promote certain sponsors, or even about using landing nets. But we are not wrong about the harmful and negative effects that this rig invites into our profession. By allowing umbrella type, multi-bait rigs to invade professional bass fishing, we will be changing the very foundation of our sport.

Anglers need to fully understand the entire issue, and then vote on what they want to do with it, similar to what BASS has done. I’m confident that given the opportunity, our anglers would come to similar conclusions.

If you’re undecided on the issue, you should consider what motivates people on either side to speak out. Is it money, greed, sour grapes, or real concern? For me and many others, this comes out of a genuine concern about our sport. We can all envision how this controversy could negatively impact our sport in so many ways. Wouldn’t it be smarter to wait and not take that chance? Is there something to lose by waiting? To the contrary, by not waiting, just look at all we stand to lose
zrtj

Post by zrtj »

elfish16 wrote:Why does nobody complain and ask for tournament directors to ban lures that are prototypes for pro staff guys only??? Don't you think something like that could have a HUGE advantage over the normal guy??? Yet all we do is jump on a ban this bait and technique bandwagon.
Exactly. Who is the normal guy anyway. The normal guy pays more for their boat, more for their tackle, get's no tips from locals due to their fame and probably has to maintain a job outside of fishing because it's so difficult to make a living in tournaments. People were always willing to shell out money to fish on lakes where the difference between winning and losing was what the bass had for lunch that day. So if it's so easy to fish the A-rig, it would just make more lakes like the spotted bass dominated lakes in my opinion. And as a business owner, I wish a made lures that were used on an A-rig... a whole pack of lures tied on at once is great business!

If we want an even playing field, it would be more meaningful to ban pre-fishing, make everyone use a standard size boat that cost $20K or less, make tournaments only 2-days, and lower the entry fees. Tournament organizations struggle to get funding and keep entries up, but how can you get large non-endemic sponsors to endorse something that puts the dream so far away from the average guy that it's cheaper to go play golf at Pebble beach? The sport should attract more people to play, and the tournaments orgs should be enjoying huge profits from advertising from large non-endemic sponsors and such.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Thanks Jason, that piece by Levebre, has got to be the most fully thought out and sensable thing I've read about this whole issue.
massbaster

Post by massbaster »

I cant beleive this is even a issue. Boats are 50 to 70 thousand dollars , electronics are 2000 to 5000 thousand, and gas will be 4.30 a gallon this year . This is why I have not fished tournaments the past 3 years , I cant compete with the guy who can go pre fish 3 to 4 days a week and I can only go on weekends. How bout we have tournaments were your boat can only cost so much , you can only pre fish the weekend before. These type of things will grow our sport and make it possible for more people to afford bass fishing. I dont see how the banning the a-rig will help the sport in any way . Just because some tournaments everybody will be throwing it? What about late summer early fall tournaments on the delta , everybody was punching or in the spring red crankbaits?
Jason Borofka

Post by Jason Borofka »

by massbaster
What about late summer early fall tournaments on the delta , everybody was punching
lol :lol: next year you punch and Ill throw the a rig on the out side weed line where most of the fish are! we will see who wins!
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

Here is an Idea.

I still don't want it in tournaments at all, but for the sake of curiosity here goes.

What if tournament organizations allowed castable umbrella rigs, and multi bait rigs with only one bait with hooks on it???

-Tackle companies that offer A rigs, baits commonly attached to it, or the terminal tackle; wouldn't lose one single sale. ( companies that don't like Luckycraft, unfortunately may be run out of business this year)

- No concern over breaking the state creel limits

- Within the guidelines of one bait, one rod, one cast at a time rule.

- reduces concerns over fish mortality

-doesn't limit creative individuality or innovation

- wouldn't have to address the argument over fish attractors vs. baits. (for example quad blade spinnerbaits, double fluke rigs, double blade buzzbaits etc)

I still think we would be fishing A-rig only derbys, but it would be ALOT better than it is right now.

I'm not trying to stir the pot or engage in personal attacks, I'm very concerned over what tournament fishing has become and I just want what is best for the sport.

I have been speaking with the various organizations, and they are monitoring the situation closely. The thing they want more than anything else is hard evidence of how their customers feel. These threads and the petition are examples of those, as well as emails, and letters. Phone calls and conversations with directors only go so far. So this is how we can be heard.

Mike Tuck
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

Mike Tuck wrote:Here is an Idea.

I still don't want it in tournaments at all, but for the sake of curiosity here goes.

What if tournament organizations allowed castable umbrella rigs, and multi bait rigs with only one bait with hooks on it???

-Tackle companies that offer A rigs, baits commonly attached to it, or the terminal tackle; wouldn't lose one single sale. ( companies that don't like Luckycraft, unfortunately may be run out of business this year)

- No concern over breaking the state creel limits

- Within the guidelines of one bait, one rod, one cast at a time rule.

- reduces concerns over fish mortality

-doesn't limit creative individuality or innovation

- wouldn't have to address the argument over fish attractors vs. baits. (for example quad blade spinnerbaits, double fluke rigs, double blade buzzbaits etc)

I still think we would be fishing A-rig only derbys, but it would be ALOT better than it is right now.

I'm not trying to stir the pot or engage in personal attacks, I'm very concerned over what tournament fishing has become and I just want what is best for the sport.

I have been speaking with the various organizations, and they are monitoring the situation closely. The thing they want more than anything else is hard evidence of how their customers feel. These threads and the petition are examples of those, as well as emails, and letters. Phone calls and conversations with directors only go so far. So this is how we can be heard.

Mike Tuck
Hi Mike,

First, I'd like to say, other than what I've heard or read about you, I don't know you, haven't met you, and in no way am being a dick when I say that what you're suggesting makes you a compromise. Please don't take it the wrong way, but I'd suggest to stick to the real issue, which is multi-lure (more precisely multi-attractant) rigs. In my humble opinion, whether there is one or more hooks is a secondary issue (an issue nonetheless) as opposed to the rig itself and the way it's presented. The fish has to be enticed first before hooking them !!!

James
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

jloo283 wrote:
Hi Mike,

First, I'd like to say, other than what I've heard or read about you, I don't know you, haven't met you, and in no way am being a dick when I say that what you're suggesting makes you a compromise. Please don't take it the wrong way, but I'd suggest to stick to the real issue, which is multi-lure (more precisely multi-attractant) rigs. In my humble opinion, whether there is one or more hooks is a secondary issue (an issue nonetheless) as opposed to the rig itself and the way it's presented. The fish has to be enticed first before hooking them !!!

James

James,

first of all forgive me for being a little slow. I'm not even sure of what you are trying to articulate. So I couldn't surmise whether you are being a D*** or not.

I'm a compromise? I've been called a lot worse things than that in my time.....I think?

As far as sticking to the real issue, I think there are ALOT of real issues with the bait and I have covered most of them in the last two weeks.

Now with reference to how I think you are insinuating that I am personally opposed to the rig itself and that I am not able to "entice" them first before hooking them.......I am 100% opposed to the rig itself being used with multiple baits with hooks. I also have demonstrated that i can catch them pretty darn good on the thing when I use it. Listen, I love catching bass and this thing does that better than anything else. So to say I am against it can be a confusing and contradicting statement. Its more of a long term issue if you get right to it. So, yes I am very much against it, but I can't speak for everybody. This is more less finding out if the vast majority of tournament anglers want it banned and if so why. If so, then ban it, or modify the rules to accommodate it.

I don't want this to be personal with anybody. Just keep it to the issues and make your case for or against, I'm listening.

Maybe I misunderstood your whole post. That wouldn't be the first time; If so I apologize. I just want to keep this debate moving forward in a constructive manner. The personal attacks against people who choose one side or the other, right wrong or indifferent, solve nothing. I just put out there an Idea I had this morning that I thought might bring all sides to some middle ground.

Mike Tuck