Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well known

StockOption

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Post by StockOption »

A buddy forwarded me this picture. Hard to tell if it's been photoshopped or not, but even if it's a fake I'm sure the multiple a-rigs on one line are right around the corner.............

Chucking and winding this rig all day would certainly take its toll, especially for an ole timer like Cooch :arrow: :lol:

Heh.
arigmadness.jpg
arigmadness.jpg (29.46 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
Kurt
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

Mike, sorry for the confusion.

To me, the A-rig with only one hook with multiple teasers as your idea suggests isn't any different from what's currently out there. Both will potentially entice the fish just the same. And that, to me, is the real issue as far as this rig is concerned.

I guess compromise is fine, finding the "middle ground" as you put it. I'm at an early stage of the game so don't have much at stake at this point, you fish these bigger events and seem to be on top of your game so probably have much more at stake. All I was trying to say was, I like the idea of an outright ban better, if not banning all multi-bait rigs like B.A.S.S did, but at the very least the A-rig.

Take care
James
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

James,

Sorry about my confusion. I agree with you that an all out ban is better, I want that too. I just don't see how banning the thing all together wouldn't call into question spinnerbait blade vs. swimbaits with no hooks as being no different from one another as "fish attractors". I think it could be done but then DFG will have to make some very specific guidelines about what constitutes an attractor versus a bait. I realize they already do this, but as it is currently written the blades on a spinnerbait are no different than the non hook equipped swimbaits on the A-rigs. It sucks, but that's where we are at. Next the rigs will have one drop back bait with 10 arms equiped with spinnerbait blades. So I really don't know how or where its going or how it will get to a common goal, but we are making progress. I just think that as often as it is in politics we may have to adjust our goals in order to get anything done. We are in uncharted waters here and it needs to be done the right way. So from that aspect maybe BASS did get it right. I'm all for it. But, then again, I still think BASS anglers can still use the rig if only one bait has a hook so we are back at square one.

Who Knows?

Mike Tuck
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

Stock option, That is great! It's the "Kentucky Rig"!!!
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

StockOption wrote:Chucking and winding this rig all day would certainly take its toll, especially for an ole timer like Cooch :arrow: :lol: Heh.
You just better keep yer head up and distance from my dock brother, cause I'm gonna save that first and ONLY chuck and send that POS contraption right accross yer bow! HAR! HAR! HAR!
topdawg2700

Post by topdawg2700 »

My opinion really doesn't mean anything as I am FAR from ever becoming a pro and would have to worry about losing money to the bama rig. That being said I'm kinda with the guy that said whatever the pros decide is okay with me cause it is their money and not mine. Other than that though....I really don't want to see a bunch of pros all throwing the same thing all the time as it is SO much more interesting to see that someone won the tourney on this lure or that plastic craw or whatever on any given day. As for me I reckon the other reason that I would rather it not be in tournaments is that I just always thought it was kinda who figured out what bait (as in singular) worked in conjunction with the skill that the angler had on any given day. I understand that you could argue that it is one bait but honestly, it is multiple baits swimming together.

As my bass club president asked me my opinion on it the other day I kinda said whatever...I don't plan on fishing it as I have enough stuff that I want to get better at before I go trying this thing. Tournament fishing is a combination of tools, skill, knowledge, patience, and even sometimes a hint of luck that is supposed to be enjoyable competition. Maybe that is why I will never make it to the pro level ....HAHA ...

I figure the pros and tournament directors can hash it out just as we will in our bass club. Again as for viewing pleasure I enjoy seeing that this pro figured out that this lure or this plastic worm or craw was working in this water clarity on this particular structure on this given day. Not saying it will...but don't want to see every week someone winning on the a-rig on this structure in this water clarity...or whatever. In other words glad the Elites banned it.

On the other note...I do worry bout the meat hunters with this rig. I have no problem with people keeping a few from time to time as I'm sure most don't but I'm sure we all know what I mean by meat hunters.

Oh and lastly...really guys....there is no reason for any name calling. I enjoy forums as everyone else in here but I really don't enjoy hearing the bitching back and forth....I think we get enough of that elsewhere.

Anyway sorry for being so long winded but figured it wouldn't matter since there has already been a book written on this..haha. Have a great year yall and tight lines.
whazup

Post by whazup »

I have followed these threads regarding the A-Rig with great interest. I do not tournament fish. I have neither the talent, money or time to fish competitively. That said, I greatly admire people who are accomplished at this game. (Feel the same way about baseball; can't play at a high level, but appreciate those who can) I was glad to see the Elites ban the A-Rig. To me, bass fishing is about the "hunt" as much as the catch. I love the feeling of seeing a likely spot for a bass to be sitting, having at least a clue as to what bait to toss given the conditions, making an accurate, pinpoint cast, sensing the fish pick up the bait, a good hookset and bringing the prize to the boat. To me, that IS bass fishing. I would rather catch a 2 lber this way, than a 5 lber just randomly chucking and winding. And that is why I enjoy the Elites. I want to see people doing what I can't do. I know I have no skin in this game so my opinion won't matter to most. But I do hope truly competitive fishermen will opt to keep the the high level of SKILL in bass fishing.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

Cooch wrote: For all the right reasons, I applaud BASS, Scott Martin and Mike Tuck for taking the stance they have regarding the Alabama rig. It is a rig, not a lure and if they choose not to have them used in their events, more power to em!
I see Scott Martin is signature #650... Elmer Fudd is signature #641. I also noticed that the petition defines umbrella rig as "an array of more than three artificial lures or baits (with or without hooks) used by a single rod and reel combination" so a 3 wire A-rig is fine with them. Seems to be some mixed messages being sent.
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

I didn't start the petition or have any input to the exact wording. I'm sure there is room for improvement. There is no way to keep out the Childish acts of those whom don't understand the good that is trying to be done (Elmer Fudd). We all understand what the petition is for regardless of exact wording. It's not as if we are going door to door asking for meaningless signatures from every 8-10 year old kid who is home. These are the people who care about what it can or could mean to their livelihood. The organizations have it for referencing their customers and seeing what the signers have to say. They also see these threads daily; and we are all being heard for and against.

Mike Tuck
drew

Post by drew »

The best way to improve this so called ban, would be to get rid of it. Eventually the fish will adapt to the rig and its effectiveness will decline. Worrying about the what ifs and trying to ban everything that your emotions tell you might be bad is moronic. :roll: At the very least it should be observed over a period to evaluate its worth, good or bad.

Mike Tuck wrote:I didn't start the petition or have any input to the exact wording. I'm sure there is room for improvement. There is no way to keep out the Childish acts of those whom don't understand the good that is trying to be done (Elmer Fudd). We all understand what the petition is for regardless of exact wording. It's not as if we are going door to door asking for meaningless signatures from every 8-10 year old kid who is home. These are the people who care about what it can or could mean to their livelihood. The organizations have it for referencing their customers and seeing what the signers have to say. They also see these threads daily; and we are all being heard for and against.

Mike Tuck
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

Mike Tuck wrote:I didn't start the petition or have any input to the exact wording.
Mike, I didn't mean to imply that you did. I'm just saying that all the talk about a petition to "ban the a-rig" is really about a petition to ban an A-rig with more than 3 wires. Whoever wrote the petition chose to define the umbrella rig as one with more than three lures. They also (according to bassfan.com) chose to remain anonymous, although Lefebre is the first name on the petition. As it is written and if it is adopted it will have no real effect on California fishing other than to limit the number of wires.
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

Bryan, I wasn't trying to suggest that you were implicating me in any way. I just wanted to keep certain statements from undermining what the spirit of the petition is all about. It seems that the issue is somewhat of a moving target, or constantly evolving I guess you could say; from when it was started. That's a good thing though, because it means parties on both sides of the issue are listening to each other and together they are coming up with the best ideas of how to address the use of the "rig".

The petition is meant for the individual organizations to see how their customers feel. I personally know a lot of the anonymous posters from calif. and AZ. And they chose not to use their names for reasons of conflicting interests, which could affect certain individual relationships. I guess that is the safest general way to articulate it. But, I can tell you that you would know most if not all of them by name.

I sure am glad Elmer Fudd chose to put his name to it, wow now there's some serious cedibility :) .

Tuck