Power Pole Vs Minkota Talon

bass343

Power Pole Vs Minkota Talon

Post by bass343 »

I'm in the market for a Shallow water anchor, a Power pole or Minkota Talon? For those of you out there that have one or the other which do you prefer? Pros and cons for each? Any advice would help.

Thanks
scottsweet

Re: Power Pole Vs Minkota Talon

Post by scottsweet »

I have two Talons on my boat. While I am sponsored by MinnKota, I have been on boats with both. The Power Poles are nice, but they are hydraulic. There is a bunch of stuff in the bilge area to support the Power Poles. I have heard multiple times about the hydraulic system failing resulting in fluid all over the place (inside the bilge and outside the boat).

On the Talons, they are fully self contained electrically. In the event of some sort of a failure, you have the manual override bolt that allows you to wind them up with a socket wrench (which I carry in my boat). They deploy faster than the Power Poles as well. When they deploy, they go straight down rather than the articulated arm of the Power Pole. With the new MinnKota bracket, you can drop the Talon forward so that is parallel to the boat to go in the garage or under a bridge, etc. Some would argue that the PowerPole allows you to go under things easier and in many situations, I would agree. The deployment of the Talon is very simple by using a small FOB that you can hang around your neck or install by your console. I actually use both and have a FOB that allows me to deploy either one of the Talons with one single FOB (4 buttons on it).

Finally, the Talon can be removed from the boat in about 2 minutes using the quick release bolt and quick release plug accessories. I have a picture of it in my dropbox. http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/58977625 ... 1?h=2c03bf

I cannot say with certainty, but I believe the Talons will be a few bucks less as well with the same size and all the necessary components to make each system work. Installing the Talon is very simple. Once you have your brackets installed on your boat or jack plate, the entire process takes less than 30 minutes...put the talon on the bracket, wire the talon to your cranking battery and you are done. No holes, hydraulic motors, hydraulic fluid, lines, etc. to be installed or maintained.

Both are good products and get the job done. I just think the Talon's are simpler, faster, easier to use, install and maintain.

If you have questions, drop me a line.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sold! I'll take two.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
bass343

Post by bass343 »

Two more questions? What's the worst that could happen, if you try to take off plain when the anchors are in the down position? Is there a safety device that prevents damage to the Poles?

Thanks
JimmyReese

Post by JimmyReese »

Great info Scott!

These are some things I heard as well! havnt heard bad about either one. New Ranger is coming with Minnkota TALONS and I cant wait to see the benefits of having them! SIMPLE is good for me!!! Rather focus on catching fish! Big ones too! Thanks Scott for your insight! I see in your photos you protect your tires in L.A.Not a bad idea! :wink:
F!$# 0N!

JIMMY REESE
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

bass343 wrote:Two more questions? What's the worst that could happen, if you try to take off plain when the anchors are in the down position? Is there a safety device that prevents damage to the Poles?

Thanks
When there is excessive side load on the anchor, a Retraction Notification Alarm will sound off. Additionally, there is the Deployment Notification Alarm such that if you turn your engine on while Talon is deployed, an audible alarm alerts you that the anchor is down. The alarm comes standard, but you can choose whether or not to install it.

There is a Lifetime Spike Guarantee such that it is built with outstanding flexibility and designed to take years of abuse, Talon’s durable composite fiberglass spike carries a lifetime guarantee.

Hope this clarifies things...
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I have the Talons as well. Clean, easy, and light. They can removed easily in about a minute. I take mine off on bodies of water like Oroville when I don't need them. No need to, I just do. Great product!! Great post Scott.
mrbassin0614

Post by mrbassin0614 »

Last edited by mrbassin0614 on Thu May 07, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bass343

Post by bass343 »

Thanks for all the great feed back, you guys are awesome. But If the Talon is so easy to be removed should I be concern about theft.

Thanks,

Dan
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Talons allow for a partial deploy? I know that was one of the real attractive uses for the Power Poles when they first came out, and I'm not up on the capabilities of the Talon.

Also, what is the height of the Talon from the waterline? I know the Power Poles are at 0' for all intents and purposes. Not a huge consideration I presume for the boater, but non-boats have to manuever around them I presume?

Thanks!
Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Watching the Classic on TV I was amazed at how often the guys had to negotiate fighting bass around the PowerPoles. Several times it looked like they were going to fall out of the boat because they had to lean so far off the back to keep the bass out of the way of the poles.
But then again, the guy who won it all was using PowerPoles.

If I was going to put them on my boat I'd go with the Talons.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

tunaman wrote:Talons allow for a partial deploy? I know that was one of the real attractive uses for the Power Poles when they first came out, and I'm not up on the capabilities of the Talon.

Also, what is the height of the Talon from the waterline? I know the Power Poles are at 0' for all intents and purposes. Not a huge consideration I presume for the boater, but non-boats have to manuever around them I presume?

Thanks!
Roger
Roger,

Yes, you can do a partial deploy. You double click the button to start the deploy and then hit the stop once. Whereever the deploy is, it will stop. As for the waterline, it is about an inch or two on my Ranger. For all intent and purpose 0 as you said.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

Curious can you drag the Talon? E.G....say the wind is blowing you along the bank I used to drag my power pole to slow myself but can you do the same with the Talon or is it primarily geared to anchor?
LL South
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Wolfeman wrote:Watching the Classic on TV I was amazed at how often the guys had to negotiate fighting bass around the PowerPoles. Several times it looked like they were going to fall out of the boat because they had to lean so far off the back to keep the bass out of the way of the poles.
But then again, the guy who won it all was using PowerPoles.

If I was going to put them on my boat I'd go with the Talons.
- Wolfeman
This is a major difference with the Power Poles vs. Talon that I should have discussed further. When the Power Poles are deployed, the part of the pole in the water is about 4-5 ft out from the corner of the boat, worst case. Best case is about equal to the motor, depending on how deep the poles are deployed. This forces the person in the back of the boat to negotiate/fight their fish pretty far from the stern...even beyond the end of the motor. This is because of the articulated arm of the Power Pole. The advantage is that the arm is out of the way above the water line, but the pole is "hidden" from view to some extent because it is below the water line and often hard to see. You have no visual above the waterline where the pole actually is under water, unless you can easily see it.

For the Talon, the pole goes straight down. Because of the bracket, it is about 12" from the edge of the stern. The pole is above the water, but the pole is very close to the edge of the boat and certainly not as far out as the motor. When the person in the back of the boat is fighting their fish, they see where the pole below the waterline should be because they see the Talon above the boat, albeit possibly in the way. That being said, the person in the back can see it and can visualize where it should be below the waterline. As mentioned, it is very close to the edge of the boat. Unless the fish is under the boat, the person in the back would probably be more concerned about the line/fish being near the prop than the Talon pole; though he/she may have to negotiate around the Talon since it is above the waterline and possibly in the way.

All this being said, the above affects the non-boater and may be of little concern to the pro/boater :). Though we all know that the non-boater is the number one concern of the boaters when fishing a tournament right :)?

Hope this clarifies this a bit...
Last edited by scottsweet on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

JustinD wrote:Curious can you drag the Talon? E.G....say the wind is blowing you along the bank I used to drag my power pole to slow myself but can you do the same with the Talon or is it primarily geared to anchor?
Yes. You can deploy them whenever you want.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
afchris

Post by afchris »

Scott,

Great post. Lot's of extremly useful information. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to better educate us all. I have to be honest, I wanted to install a set of power poles but was extremly hesitant becuase my better half likes to wake board. I was looking at possibly adding some quick disconnects to the hyd lines but it still wouldn't even come close to the time it takes to pop off the Talons. Now I know exactly what I want.

Nice rig btw, I have the same model, just an '08. I'm guessing you had C&C install? If you don't mind me asking what was the damage?
Air Force Chris

My good friend chasing his dream....
[u]http://teampartak.webs.com/[/u]
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

afchris wrote:Scott,

Great post. Lot's of extremly useful information. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to better educate us all. I have to be honest, I wanted to install a set of power poles but was extremly hesitant becuase my better half likes to wake board. I was looking at possibly adding some quick disconnects to the hyd lines but it still wouldn't even come close to the time it takes to pop off the Talons. Now I know exactly what I want.

Nice rig btw, I have the same model, just an '08. I'm guessing you had C&C install? If you don't mind me asking what was the damage?
Thank you for the compliments. Anglers Marine did the installation here in Socal. Anglers Marine, Ranger and Mercury helped me out and am very grateful!! As you well know, these baby's aren't cheap!
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

bass343 wrote:Thanks for all the great feed back, you guys are awesome. But If the Talon is so easy to be removed should I be concern about theft.

Thanks,

Dan
That is a valid concern depending on your circumstances. Personally, I do not stay in hotels and the boat is usually very close to where I am sleeping :)...I stay in my camper most of the time. If you are leaving your boat in a parking lot of a hotel in an area that is not monitored, I would probably take them off and put them in my vehicle or hotel. The good news is it takes about 2 or 3 minutes to remove or reinstall.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Maackbass

Post by Maackbass »

In regards to your question about deployment while running here's a impressive demonstration with dual Powerpoles. Of course it looks to be all silt bottom but still pretty impressive or crazy depending on how you look at it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj62L40 ... ata_player
MIKE @CCMarine

Post by MIKE @CCMarine »

The Talon is way easier to install and also very easy to take off when you don't want to use them. We have a special on the Talon's installed for $1900.00 including tax and labor including side mounting brackets other brackets may have additional charge.

Thanks
Mike Van Wagner
C&C Marine
7812 Auburn Blvd
Citrus Heights Ca. 95610
916-729-0590
Or Richard @ C&C Marine
747 S 9th St.
Modesto Ca. 95351
209-526-4120
bass343

Post by bass343 »

Ok I think I've heard enough, looks like I'm leaning more towards the Talon.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Dan
Doug Vahrenberg

Post by Doug Vahrenberg »

Someone mentioned lower the Talons to get under low clearance...

Have you seen the new Tilt Brackets? They allow you to fold the Talon forward without loosening any hardware to get under low clearances like backing into the Garage or under a bridge, etc.

Like Gary mentioned one of the nice things of the Talon is the ability to remove when fishing waters you don't need a shallow water anchor in the matter of a few seconds you can remove the Talon...with todays rising cost of fuel accessories that stand up like anchors catch wind and create aero drag and lose of speed which equals lower fuel efficiency. So the MinnKota Talons make it easy to remove when not needed thus increasing your fuel economy when running down the lake. It equates to about 3-6 mph loss in speed. So you are burning unecessary fuel running shallow water anchors when not needed.

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson
CN

Post by CN »

Good info, a parking brake for the trailor. What will Ranger come up with next.
davejk

Post by davejk »

When the talon deploys and does the 3 bottom hits does that spook the fish?
whazup

Post by whazup »

Great info. I have a question however. How do either of these "anchors" hold on a very rocky bottom? Not gravel, but boulders. If they were wedged between rocks, wouldn't a strong wind put tremendous pressure on the whole apparatus? I love the concept and maybe someday....... (also, are these compatible with non bass boats?)
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This video should show you the stopping....and holding power of either of these anchors....

take a guess where this video was shot.... 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWKCA_67b0w
bass343

Post by bass343 »

I seen the previous videos on You Tube posted by maackbass, and Brian D, pretty impressive by power pole. But, now I wonder how the Talon would hold up with that same kind of test? Anybody have any footage on the Talon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj62L40 ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWKCA_67b0w
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

I just did a quick search on youtube and came up with 1140 possible videos. Search for "Minnkota Talon". I am interested also. Don't have time tonight to did through them. Hopefully somebody knows of one so we don't have to watch them all.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

i think it would be safe to say that the talons would hold up to the same condtions. Those fibreglass poles and mounting brackets are incredibly strong. Also, the talons can be rigged/wired to prevent accidendal deployment while lowered and secured or when the boat is on-plane.
A-Salt-Weapon

Post by A-Salt-Weapon »

I agree with everything said..bottom line is the Power Poles look a whole lot cooler..just saying..
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Can you use the fold down bracket to lower your Talons when you're running, to cut down on wind resistance?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Wow a resurrected post. Musta dusted off this one.

Yes, you can Mark. But its not advisable.

As an update to my Talon Purchase and usage. I've had them for about 2 year now and come to the conclusion that I should have purchased Power Poles.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Brian D. wrote:Wow a resurrected post. Musta dusted off this one.

Yes, you can Mark. But its not advisable.

As an update to my Talon Purchase and usage. I've had them for about 2 year now and come to the conclusion that I should have purchased Power Poles.
What makes you say that Brian?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Without making a laundry list of issues... I have had mine for two years, and they have been repaired three times. Clutch mechanisms, bent transom bracket, wires shorting out, retractable bracket worn out twice due to excessive vibration. Some of this was covered under warranty, some not. Maybe it was because it was their first version and haven't worked out all of the things that could happen when a large piece of hollow aluminum is hanging off the back of a bass bote. :roll: Hence my decision. If they fix those issues, then I may reconsider.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Well if it makes you feel any better I purchased two Power Pole Blades and had nothing but problems. Three trips to the shop and $5000 later I got rid of them at a big loss.

The hose came off and deployed while driving down the road.
Stopped working in temps over 100* in summer (got stick down).
Wouldn't sink up or deploy at same speed.
Didn't have snout up-lift to come up out of the delta mud.
Brackets dragging the water spraying water up all over the back deck coming off pad (tried several different brackets).
Lost 5mph

That's enough for me. Problems out weigh the benefits. I'm pole-less now
OG on WB since 1993
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Ouch Mike. Did you get anything covered under warranty? Curious if the shop or the manufacture took care of you.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yeah they replaced the Fiberglas pole after it was ground down from rubbing the street and fittings where the hose came off.

They replaced a pump when it didn't work OUT OF THE BOX. Forgot to mention that.

They sent out new brackets at no charge when the others were dragging the water.

They were good about sending out parts, but I was still eating all of the labor and having my boat down multipal times was enough for me to give up on them.
OG on WB since 1993
fishn4bass

Post by fishn4bass »

I have had twin Power Pole Blades on my rig for 2 years now without a single issue. Yes they are more involved with the installation, however if done correctly, and set up correctly they work perfectly. They are wireless and you have 3 different options to operate them. The console control switch allows you to adjust the speed they operate at as well as the option to operate them independently of each other. getting them in the garage or under a low overhang is a easy as bumping them down a notch or two and your clear. Just like choosing the rig they mount on it all comes down to personal preference. They are both very good products.
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

I gave the original response of this post. I still have mine and they work fine.

The new Talon's have their motors mounted lower on shaft which reduces the vibrations as well as makes them less top heavy. Also, the Talon's are now available in up to a 12 ft. length. One big advantage of the Talon is they are easily removable if you don't need or want them on. I take mine off all the time and it takes about 5 minutes per Talon.

Personally, the thought of hydraulic fluid in my bilge and having to clean that up as a result of some failure makes me cringe. Mechanical things can fail; especially in how we use them. Would you rather have an electrical failure requiring you to use a socket wrench to bring up the anchor or hydraulic fluid, or the lack thereof, being the source of the failure? All that weight moving around uncontrollably because of the lack of fluid seems more than I would prefer.

I also don't like the articulated arm of the Power Poles, but that is my personal preference.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
frmiller

Post by frmiller »

i just ran across this power pole talon post. Ive had a power pole on my skeeter and changed to dual talons about a year ago. I went with the talons because my power pole did not hold well in heavy wind/chop down here on the BigO. I had my hydraulic pump mounted inside a rear deck compartment and running in heavy chop would cause fluid to leak out and cause a mess very often. My talons held in everything, boat did not move. Within one month the talons were replaced/ repaired twice. Service from minn kota was excellent. However, when your told, "if a talon fails to retract, just use the wrench and crank up by hand" take that with a grain of salt. One of my talons punched deep into the bottom and broke the gears and pulley, you can turn that wrench all day but its not going to retract. I had to swim down five feet at 7:30 in the morning with a two foot chop and free it by hand, NOT FUN. After getting it up, there were broken parts inside that kept it from retracting the last 3 feet. Three feet of talon hanging down makes for a rough ride in big chop. My buddy that was with me swore he would not buy talons for his new skeeter, but he saw the 12' model and bought two a few months ago. One of his 12' talons is getting replaced as Im typing. Im purchasing a new boat before the end of the year and it will have twin 10' power poles hanging on the back and a rag to wipe up any fluid. I will live with a bit of fluid and some sliding in the wind. I have one of the two talons getting ready to be returned again for warranty service as the metal sleeve is bent and makes a horrible screeching sound when deploying. I am not trying to bash anyones talons, i know guys lots down here with no talon problems as well. Hope this lets folks know that a wrench isn't always going to work as minn kota claims.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Seems both have QC issues. Hope someone gets a reliable product so I could try again
OG on WB since 1993
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

one of the biggest peeve's for me is that the talons vibrate excessively shaking the entire bracket assembly and everything inside it. I need to replace my tilt brackets again. :( Seems all of the gearing components and extendable shaft inside the aluminum housing rattle worse than an empty flag pole. That can't be good. I never had to retract my poles manually but I have noticed that I don't hold in certain bottom compositions.
Terabapuno1

Post by Terabapuno1 »

Service from minn kota was excellent. However, when your told, "if a talon fails to retract, just use the wrench and crank up by hand" take that with a grain of salt. One of my talons punched deep into the bottom and broke the gears and pulley,????
Ali