Super Spooks middle treble pros and cons

Jason C.

Super Spooks middle treble pros and cons

Post by Jason C. »

are there any benefits in removing the middle treble hook on the super spook :?: :?: :?:
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
Tm Customs

Re: Super Spooks middle treble pros and cons

Post by Tm Customs »

The best way to fix your spook is to buy a sammy :D
Taylor
"Tm Custom Baits"
=============
http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/tmcustoms
Pat

Post by Pat »

I like to put #2 hooks on the front and back and leave the middle hook a #4. That keeps the hooks from tangling with each other. I have even gone up to #1 and 1/0 when fishing for stripers. I used to use the Gami EWGs, but actually think I hook more fish with the round bend trebles. The EWGs may hold the fish better, but you have to hook them first to catch them.

Pat
Cooch

There are a coupl that stand out for me.....................

Post by Cooch »

The last three years I've come to find that a Super Spook is my number one topwater bait on the river for big fish. I always fish it on braid, and I'm always tossing into and around heavy cover on the tule islands, berms and points. I fish it very slow and methodical, with pauses between each side to side glide.

Since I am targeting much bigger fish, those 6 pounds and above, the factory installed hooks are a weak link. You will git yer heart broken too often with those factory hooks, especially if ya git one of them giant stripers that decides ta grab yer Spook. So I will replace them with two #1 Gammy trebles, front and back, removing the middle O ring and hook. This MUST be done with these larger hooks to prevent the hooks from tangling.

Removing that middle hook, also allows the Spook to glide further with each twitch. One less hook means less tangle with the braid as it tends to lie on the surface and get tangled in the front AND middle hook. One less trebble also narrows the chance of that hook getting caught up in the cover, both when I'm presenting it, or when a big fish smacks it.
Johnny C

From the spookman

Post by Johnny C »

I use a #2 ewg in front, then a 4x owner stinger in the middle and back...The other week link is the split rings...GO TO STAINLESS STEEL...I also dress the back hook..If you are getting tangled it is on the cast..Sling it straight like a rocket and thumb hard at entry...Yes it is spook time, BIG TIME....Also color does make a difference on many days...Hot weather with a building high is best...They will bite them all day...The spookman stuck in Indiana without a rod for the week.. :roll:
http://www.dobynsrods.com
Mark Langner

Thumbing on entry...

Post by Mark Langner »

Yeah spookman, your right on the money. I figured out a while ago that if I thumb the reel properly as the spook is approaching the water surface (on the cast), that the spook will straighten out and "usually" not get the hooks all fouled up. I too replaced the front treble with a size larger, in red, and so had to adjust my cast to prevent tangling the front hook with my line. I leave the center hook in, but I'm gonna give Cooch's idea a try...at least on the Delta.
LukeBoden

Post by LukeBoden »

Cooch showed me how to throw that spook on the delta, and i too use only the front and back hook because my braid always seemed to get caught on the front and middle hook. I use 2X #2 Gamakatsu, on the delta. On lakes i put a #2 on the front and back and a #4 in the middle. I use Mono on lakes and its stiffer so it doesnt seem to get caught up in the hooks as easily.

If anyone wants to catch some huge donkeys on a spook on the delta, go with cooch, he'll show ya how.
ITS ALL GOOD
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Well, I finally lost Delta Derek's 'borrowed' Super Spook a couple of days ago - it exploded in half after coming back at me at 90 mph from dislodging out of a tree some 30 yards away, smashing into the trolling motor. This was after using it for some 16 months and getting hundreds of bass up to 9 lbs (and one over 10 that got away on the Delta last fall, and up to 8's on Fork, even some last month down in Mexico on it).

So besides being heartbroken over losing the greatest lure I've ever owned, fish numbers wise and longest lasting too, I'm in the market to replace it.

Knowing I'll need to replace the hooks too, I did a search for 'replacement hooks on Super Spooks' to see what folks might be suggesting so I could order them with the bait and this old post on WB came up (thank God for internet). I'm guessing not much has changed over the thought processes discussed (middle hook removed, mine was also, etc.).

I now see the split rings are just as important, and I'm guessing that's why I lost two treble hooks to heavy brush/trees the last time out with it, just before it exploded in half. The rings were gone too and I'm guessing I put on too small of ones, I'll have to order the saltwater ones, or stainless steel I guess, I sure don't want to lose it on a lunker I'm sure to hook into.

PS Sorry Derek, I still owe you one back, I'll get an extra with the next one! :oops: :D
Last edited by Otay Michael on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

I always use owner hyperwire split rings, best yah can get I believe. Also round bend I think are best for topwater especially when thy are slapping at the bait instead of fully committing to it instead of ewg's ewg's are awesome once there hooked but I've noticed that even with crankbaits that unless they fully take the bait hookups ratios are a bit less.
Levy

Post by Levy »

Tm Customs wrote:The best way to fix your spook is to buy a sammy :D
What have you been smokin?? Please everybody buy a sammy and put the spook down. They suck and do not catch big fish :lol: :lol: :lol:
medfish

Post by medfish »

Otay mike. Can I get my lures back!!!!! Hahaha. When you coming in April. Do it on wed-Friday and you can show me how to do it. Hahaha. Cheers on st pat's day. Mike
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

medfish wrote:Otay mike. Can I get my lures back!!!!! Hahaha. When you coming in April. Do it on wed-Friday and you can show me how to do it. Hahaha. Cheers on st pat's day. Mike
Teaching a photo workshop over in Yosemite on the 13th, 14th and 15th, so before or after that for a week. Can't wait. :D

I still know where two 10+ live there!!! One got off THIS spook at the boat... :evil: :evil:

Since she retired 'early', I'm going to frame her along w/ a photo-collage of bass she enticed for me.

Here are a few of the photos I'll include, got to go through some more of my reports...

This one I got just after the spook got imbedded in my thumb (below), but no time to fool around, as these were on the chew - so I cut the barb and tossed it back out immediately, getting four like her in five minutes- love the Delta.

Barrett Lake, San Diego

Here is one that would have ate MY SPOOK on Amistad, IF my friend had not thrown his S.Spook the spot before me. :? crazy

The only bad memory of this lure, a 4-8 left it in my thumb when I went to lip her. Cut the barb off and tossed it back out, getting that first fish posted above on it NEXT cast, loved that lure. :cry:

Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.