Crankbait brand recommendations?

ScottyJ

Crankbait brand recommendations?

Post by ScottyJ »

After breaking the lip off my favorite Lucky Craft crank I decided I need to update my crankbait supply. As much as id like to have a box full of lucky crafts I just can't see spending that much $$$ when there are so many others out for a fraction of the price. What do you all recommend? Thanks!

Scott
"Jig fish are big fish"
Champion Jon

Re: Crankbait brand recommendations?

Post by Champion Jon »

Depends in what kind of crank bait your lookin for?

Strike king makes some good baits for cheap(1.5,2.5) I am also a fan of the Rapala dt 6.

For rattle trap type baits I stick with lucky craft usually.
mahoney

Post by mahoney »

Lucky Strike are identical to the bds in my opinion for less then 1/2 price
dwise

Post by dwise »

I've caught fish on Bomber Fat Free Shads, Switchback Shads, and Model A's. I've also caught fish on Strike King Pro Models (Series 5), Rapala Fat Raps (they don't make these anymore), and Norman's. All of these brands are reasonably priced. I've also purchased Lucky Strike's Rick Clunn Square Bills, which are reasonably priced. I do have a couple of Jackall cranks, but they are as expensive as Lucky Craft. You can buy two of the less expensive ones to one of the Lucky Crafts.

It is true that the less expesive cranks do not last as long as the expensive ones, (paint chips, lips break, etc.) but they are cheap enough to replace when you lose or break one or when it doesn't want to run true anymore, even after trying to tune it. You'll have to change the hooks on the less expensive cranks before you use them.

I am a crankbait junkie. I can't seem to stop buying crankbaits. There is a guy on here that is advertising 55 cranks in the brands I mentioned above, for $125.00, which isn't a bad price, but it's more than I want to pay, especially since I don't NEED more cranks!
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

For lipless cranks, I prefer XCalibur Xr series, SPRO Aruku Shad, or the old standby Original Bill Lewis Rat-L-Trap. For billed cranks, I go with Norman or Bomber... and I definitely have to have my SpeedTraps.
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
jc351

Post by jc351 »

Crankbaits i use Lucky Craft, Lucky Strike, and now just started using Damiki's there cheaper then Lucky Craft and have good colors. Also SPRO's are good. Jackall are junk in my book. Hooks suck they dont swim worth a crap. Waste of money! Vibrating baits the best and nothing beats it is Lucky Craft LV500!
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

Been fishing some Yo-Zuri Rattl'n Vibes lately with great success. Here's a review I wrote about them: Rattl’n Roll
I want to give some of their other offerings a try, especially in their Sashimi Series.
Caveman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Image Image
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

Timber Tiger DC-8

:D
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Hey ScottyJ, shoot me that BDS, I'll trade ya a couple of KVD 2.5s for it!

If yer fishin the Delta, shallow flat bills with a big wobble are workin best. The LC BDS series, Strike King's KVD 2.5s or an Excaliber fit the bill. If ya want something with a tighter wobble that dives a lil deeper, then try the Timber Tigers or Speed Traps. If yer lookin for medium divers with a dig ta bang the rocks and get outside the grass lines, the Bomber FAT As work really well.
Cooch

Speaking of Rick Clunn Crankbaits.......

Post by Cooch »

I believe Lucky Craft makes a BDS series for Clunn too: http://www.tackleexperts.com/lucky-craf ... 22630.html

As well as the Lucky E Strike series: http://www.basstackledepot.com/luck-e-s ... baits.aspx

The Clunn Lucky Craft series, is indeed the BDS line up, just a different color set, more transulcent and they carry basically the same price tag as the LC BDS. The Lucky E Strike baits, look as if they are out of the exact same mold(Maybe one OEMs the bodies for the other company?), yet this series is less than 1/2 the cost of the BDS baits from LC. Neither Clunn Series bait though, come in that LC Spring Craw color, which is MONEY here, just ask Carpenter & Mah, along with the rest of us who secretely throw that color all the time here! HAR!!