Anyone Fish Los Banos Resevoir

Bassman53

Anyone Fish Los Banos Resevoir

Post by Bassman53 »

I have a small tournament coming up first weekend next month at Los Banos resevoir. I have never been to that lake and will have no idea where to start. Any pointers on where to go and maybe what tp throw at em. The main thing is where to go, I can figure out what to throw in most cases but since I wont be able to pre fish for this one, I am in desperate need of some advice.
Thanks Larry
CN

Re: Anyone Fish Los Banos Resevoir

Post by CN »

Well first of all you do know it has a 5mph speed limit. If you like throwing swimbait's I would fish around the campground that area has a real big flat area surronded by deep water. Cant miss it on the right as you go away from the Dam. I just fan cast around and see what happens. Then I go down the lake until you see a cove on your right and the first couple hundred feet before the cove can be good. Then from the cove down to the end of the lake on the same side can be real good. If you go all the way to the end there are some good wood to fish but it's real shallow. The lake is not that big and can be WINDY if the fog is in at the coast. There are some toad's in this place but it can also be very tough, good luck hope this help's. Think Brush Hog.
Richard - Sonora

Los Banos Creek Reservoir is like 3 .......

Post by Richard - Sonora »

Lakes in one. You will notice at the ramp that the two sides of this long, narrow lake are completely different. The far side, across from the ramp has trees, shade, tules and weedbeds. That side fishes much like the Delta or Clear Lake. The area down by the dam is rocky with some wood, and deep sided. This part has produced for me using drop-shot and jigs. The side of the lake where the ramp is located is more of a desert type area and fishes much like Don Pedro and parts of Melones. Clay, gravel, rock and wood.
I concur with CN - think Brush Hog. And try cranks early on the tule side! R
Bassman53

Re: Anyone Fish Los Banos Resevoir

Post by Bassman53 »

Thanks for the replies so far, this is one lake I was going to skip but I will make the venture. Just without the oppertunity to pre fish. Hopefully its not an hour idle from 1 side to the other. Looking up the lake on google earth there appears to be a small creek followed by a larger creek at the far end. Looking at the wind patterns on the water they appear to swirl arround so not much of calm areas i am guessing. Heck I think it might be fun going in blind, but with your guys advice i may just make something work.
Thanks again.