Best Route Towing Boat to Clear Lake?

GregD

Best Route Towing Boat to Clear Lake?

Post by GregD »

I'm heading to Clear Lake tomorrow morning early and in the year and a half I've owned my boat, I've always gone the least windy route (from SouthBay/Mountain View) which is up 680 to 505 to 5 and then getting off at 20/Williams and heading West to Clear Lake. The route is less windy than the shorter ones, but it is a lot of miles. Tomorrow I'm really tempted to try going up 29 in Napa and going over Calistoga Grade. It's way shorter...

I'll be going up the grade pretty early so trafic shouldn't be an issue. I've got plenty of HP with my Tundra w/5.7 L V8. I'm towing a BassCat Pantera which isn't too heavy as far as boats go. I'm just concerned about how narrow/windy that road is.

Anyone else from the South Bay go up 29?

Thanks, Greg
Greg
mahoney

Re: Best Route Towing Boat to Clear Lake?

Post by mahoney »

29 is not bad at all quite a few passing lanes. youll have no problem at all 20 minute and your over then a straight shot to the lake. I tow my 4 door truck and a 20 foot ranger over hopland with no problem at all. Hopland is knarly compared to 29. 505/20 sucks dont bother with that route.
GregD

Post by GregD »

mahoney wrote:29 is not bad at all quite a few passing lanes. youll have no problem at all 20 minute and your over then a straight shot to the lake. I tow my 4 door truck and a 20 foot ranger over hopland with no problem at all. Hopland is knarly compared to 29. 505/20 sucks dont bother with that route.
Thanks! Good to hear others use it regularly before I give it a try in the morning.
Greg
Revoke36

Post by Revoke36 »

29 is easy money :wink:
Support 81
greatwhite

Post by greatwhite »

Silverado trail to the 29 works best for me.
Tobey

Post by Tobey »

Silverado Trail to 29 is a good route...I also do the 680 to 505 route if I'm going to the keys or Lucerne area but I take hiighway 16 through Cache Creek instead of going all the way to 5.

Ron
GregD

Post by GregD »

I took 29 this morning. Piece of cake! Way shorter than 505/5/20!

Thanks! Greg
Greg
basshunter4u

Post by basshunter4u »

Greg, On 29 Keep in mind you wont have many people behind you so you can just putt. Keep an eye on the commuters going down the hill towards you and you will be fine. Hug the right hand part of the lane and take your time. remember its your rig and *&^% any one behind you in a hurry. they will get over it

Don O
never give up, be possitive and patient, and you will be rewarded
ChuckP

Post by ChuckP »

A good alternative to Silverado Trail is Pope Valley road. No steep grades and almost exactly the same distance. Exit Silverado at the Lake Hennesy exit, follow the road through Pope Valley, then back on to 29 just after Middletown. I tow a boat with my RV and it is much easier on my brakes and transmission.