Old Packing Shed on Beaver Slough?

fish_food

Old Packing Shed on Beaver Slough?

Post by fish_food »

Anyone familiar with that abandoned packing shed overhanging Beaver Slough? I fished through there a couple weeks ago and saw that the owners have since demolished it--I wanted pics because it was a neat structure from a bygone era when agricultural goods were still transported via waterway.

When did they tear it down and which orchard or grower owned it? It was a neat, creaky building that overhung the slough for loading/unloading whatever crop was grown and packed just over the levee. Can anyone elaborate on its history?
Hipster

Re: Old Packing Shed on Beaver Slough?

Post by Hipster »

The only History I can give you is that I fished all around that dang shed 100's of times and never got a bump.

What is wierd is that the enttrance to Beaver can be very shallow maybe just a foot at times so they had to have dredged it back in the day to get ships in and out of there.

I would bet if you asked the folks at Wimpy's they may have some information, or perhaps the folks at the Walnut Grove Marina.
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
mrbassin0614

Post by mrbassin0614 »

a couple of months ago. I was fishing it when they did.
GW

Post by GW »

HA.....Hippy Mark Sighting.........hows that AZ heat treating you? Its currently a nice 74 here in the mountains!
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

GW,

My boat is still in Sacramento, I work 12 hour days the high is usually around 108 with a nipple poking frigid low of 80 :) in the morning.

Nice folks so far!!!
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

I belive the manager of the property had contacted me about that structure.

It was in bad shape, and was looked at as a liability instead of an asset.

They wanted it gone several years ago, if it is the one I am thinking of.

.02 A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
luvmystratos

Post by luvmystratos »

Getting into that Slough is strange and can be a bit concerning if you don't pay attention to the depth. It is about the most shallow of the three (Beaver, Hog, Sycamore) as you navigate down the Mokolumne River. Even at high tide Beaver is shallow in a lot of places. That area of the Shed has never been a fish producer outside of a few Red Ear and some small Bass. I use to fish that area almost every weekend and if it was Windy I would wonder if it would cave in. It got really Spooky when it got dark and all those creaking sounds made my time limited in that area. There were some serious size Rats down there and back in 2000 there was a Seal that owned that Slough for a few months and the fishing was bad. Can't say that the Shed and that area will be missed but it was there for years and now it is gone, things are changing throughout the Delta: what's next?
Life is short enjoy each and everyday!
surfk9

Post by surfk9 »

Whew...what a senior thing to get this photo resized....This is the shed in question.......I've fished this shed, Beaver Slough in general for the past 10 years, week after memorial monday, you may have seen our house boat anchored at the mouth of Beaver. Unlike most that have replied I have had great success in Beaver (and the Shed). Over the years my pb. from this area is 61/2 lbs. I've caught fish on jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and the last few years on chatterbaits rigged with a hollow swimbait and last but not least with my own creations of wood swimbaits and poppers. I too noticed the demolition of the shed on our most recent trip (two weeks ago) much to my dismay......certainly the owner had good reason as it was in disrepair. Over the years I've seen people living and partying with rock/roll /reggage blaring from the rafters..will certaainly miss it. :(
Attachments
Beaver Slough Shed
Beaver Slough Shed
th_picstill2009051.jpg (3.42 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
be careful out there!!! HAVE FUN!!! Wear your PFD.....It could Save your Life
fishmore

Post by fishmore »

My first trip to the delta, I stopped and fished that shed. I thought it was going to be a hot spot. After about 40 minutes, no bites. It was still fun to fish. I used to like to practice skipping senkos and jigs there. I have bean back several times and have never caught anything. I'm going to miss it.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

surfk9 wrote:Whew...what a senior thing to get this photo resized....This is the shed in question.......I've fished this shed, Beaver Slough in general for the past 10 years, week after memorial monday, you may have seen our house boat anchored at the mouth of Beaver. Unlike most that have replied I have had great success in Beaver (and the Shed). Over the years my pb. from this area is 61/2 lbs. I've caught fish on jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and the last few years on chatterbaits rigged with a hollow swimbait and last but not least with my own creations of wood swimbaits and poppers. I too noticed the demolition of the shed on our most recent trip (two weeks ago) much to my dismay......certainly the owner had good reason as it was in disrepair. Over the years I've seen people living and partying with rock/roll /reggage blaring from the rafters..will certaainly miss it. :(
That's the one--thanks for the pic surfk9, and thanks to everyone else who chimed in. Yea, it was a creaky old building for sure and a liability to the owner so I understand why they tore it down. I guess I missed the demolition by a couple months according to mrbassin0614's post--wish I had made some early spring trips through there just to snap a few pics to document remnants of the region's past. Oh well!
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

One thing about in the water demos, there is usually enough wood left over and bottom gouging to keep the spot interesting.

:wink:

.02 A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
surfk9

Post by surfk9 »

A picture of my youngest son, Zach, with a nice 4lb'ish delta fish about 100 yards east of the packing shed....caught last year on a chatter/hollow body swim bait concoction . he basically kicked but on that combo that evening, 4 fish on a stretch of bank in about 20 minutes.. gave the old man a fishing lesson :oops:
Attachments
Zach4lberClubfish2011.jpg
Zach4lberClubfish2011.jpg (88.47 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
be careful out there!!! HAVE FUN!!! Wear your PFD.....It could Save your Life