Thermalito Afterbay or Forebay?

VJ

Thermalito Afterbay or Forebay?

Post by VJ »

Has anyone fished in either of these waters, i was thinking about going out here but not sure about launching and which one to fish also do they even have large bass? Any info is appreciated.
Nutechlures.com
RB BASS FISHING
trophybaits.com
genesistinting.com
Obi-Hub

Re: Thermalito Afterbay or Forebay?

Post by Obi-Hub »

The 'Afterbay' can be great bass fishing!

Here's a one I caught last time I was up there:

I am all bundle up as it was last Thanksgiving and it was 40 degrees out ;)
~~~Gary "Obi-Hub" Collins
:mrgreen: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :mrgreen:
VJ

Post by VJ »

Thats pretty nice, Thanks for sharing. :D Anyone been their latley know anything about the recent bite? Any info helps. Thanks again
Nutechlures.com
RB BASS FISHING
trophybaits.com
genesistinting.com
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

VJ wrote:Thats pretty nice, Thanks for sharing. :D Anyone been their latley know anything about the recent bite? Any info helps. Thanks again
If I was to head up there today, I would be thinking... Senkos, Flippin, possibly Frogs and some topwater. It never hurts to run a spinnerbait, crank or swimbait down the riprap either ;)
VJ

Post by VJ »

Hey thanks Obi its real nice to get some info when ur going in blind if u every need any info on the Delta just ask im normally always their, but trying to take a small break to switch up the scenery. Had a Good day on Monday at Clearlake too. Thanks again :D
Nutechlures.com
RB BASS FISHING
trophybaits.com
genesistinting.com
bryanw80

Post by bryanw80 »

I believe that the afterbay was closed to the public recently.
Basslab

Post by Basslab »

There is quite some history of the afterbay that many probably don't know and that is that when the land was initially purchased for the building of the afterbay, the owner sold on a couple conditions and that was that the state would build a usable boat launch and never charge a fee to launch and use the water. Of course the water is pumped from the bottom of Oroville dam, run through the power generators to produce electricity and then pumped back into the dam so it is a vicious cycle that you can experience by fishing under the Hwy 162 bridge that crosses the afterbay and physically witness your boat changing directions as the water swithches from inflow to outflow. Since the water coming out of Oroville is colder, coming from the bottom, it is allowed to sit in the afterbay to warm before flowing to farmers crops. In the hot summer you can dive in to cool off and as soon as you get below a foot or so you feel the thermocline drop about 15 degrees. The afterbay is open from sunup to sundown and no overnight camping or fishing so even on the busiest holidays, I have fished there until about noon before all the crazeys show up and I go home. The forebay is also fishable but you can not use any type of motorized boat, be it gas or electric so canoe or kicktube is good. I have not yet fished it but keep saying I will. The afterbay has whatever type of fishing you like, tules, rocks and great for flipping, cranking, worming,etc. Recently, trout have been stocked in the afterbay and the water north of Hwy 162 bridge is at least 10-20 degrees colder since the inflow is on the north side so if you are prone to throw that swimbait, you will have much better luck north where most of the trout live. I fish the afterbay all year except during duck season as it is a haven for duck hunters and since they have a much shorter season than fishermen, I give them the area rather than disrupting them in their blinds..........they also have GUNS! Have fun and enjoy.
Rippin Lips

Post by Rippin Lips »

Went to the thermalito once when we were up there on vacation in Chico.
I spent one day on the big "O" and caught my spots.
Then the following day I spent the whole day on the "thermo".
I had a blast too... I got one on a paddle tail near a pump location, then got on an awesome frog bite after that...
Good time there!!!
"If it has gills.... It can be caught"
stonefly

Post by stonefly »

The afterbay is open from one hour before sunrise to hour after sunset and the pump back operations are no longer, there is quite a current at the 162 bridge when there is significant flow going thru the outlet back to the river and can get alot of chop when there is also a strong south wind. North of the 162 bridge is 5 mph only so fishing in the afternoon can be free of wakeboarders and waverunners, throwing frogs on to weed mats can be real good this time of year. Boat launch at Monument hill or wilbur road, larkin rd doesn't have enough slope unless afterbay level is high (133+). You can get Lake Oroville and Afterbay conditions on the 534-2307 recording.
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

Afterbay levels are also available here: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/quer ... an=24hours