Fun at the ramp

mark poulson

Fun at the ramp

Post by mark poulson »

I had a pain-in-the-butt thing happen to me today at Castaic, and I wonder if it's common, or if it's just me.
When I was winching my boat back onto the trailer after fishing the winch strap tore.
Fortunately, I had some tie-down rachets from work in the truck , so I was able to secure the boat enough to get it up the ramp and into the parking lot, where I was able to replace the winch strap.
Is this a common occurance?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Ron T.

Re: Fun at the ramp

Post by Ron T. »

Straps , over reted. LOL. I once drove from Acton to Issebella doing about 80 to 85 early one sat morning only to realize when i got there I didnt have a single strap on the boat. Detailed the boat the day before and never put them back on. :shock:
I never had one break.
dwise

Post by dwise »

Wow, I've never heard of a winch strap breaking, although I've often wondered about that happening. Where did you get a new winch strap to install?
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

I've broken winch straps fairly often- they sit in the sun, and the nylon degrades. I just cut off the faded area, place the hook back on the strap, and tie it on with a knot. Looks like crap- works fine.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Dave,
Thanks for the idea. Of course, I never thought of tying back on with a knot. Doh!!!
CLEAN AND DRY
dwise

Post by dwise »

I think I'm going to start covering my winch strap when the boat is stored so it won't get sun on it.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
dwise

Post by dwise »

You can always learn something from Mark's mishaps on launch ramps! :D

First the trailer wheel falling off: I learned to check and keep my wheel bearings greased!

Second the winch strap: Cover my winch strap when my boat is stored!

Is it a coincidence that both these mishaps happened on the Castaic main ramp?
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
CN

Post by CN »

Dave Wilson wrote:I've broken winch straps fairly often- they sit in the sun, and the nylon degrades. I just cut off the faded area, place the hook back on the strap, and tie it on with a knot. Looks like crap- works fine.
I'm on my third knot!!!!! I did get a spare and leave it in the boat.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

CN wrote:
Dave Wilson wrote:I've broken winch straps fairly often- they sit in the sun, and the nylon degrades. I just cut off the faded area, place the hook back on the strap, and tie it on with a knot. Looks like crap- works fine.
I'm on my third knot!!!!! I did get a spare and leave it in the boat.
Dave,
Should I use a Palomar? :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
dwise

Post by dwise »

Isn't the winch strap long enough that you can just cut off the bad part and have the hook sewn back on instead of buying a new strap?
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

I've broken a couple over the years. As Dave stated, the strap will degrade (rot) when left exposed to the elements. Both Bass Pro Shops and West Marine sell replacement straps (West Marine is cheaper)
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Well, as far as knots go- If you live in San Diego, one should use the San Diego knot as approved by Aaron M. If using the Palomar knot- spit on the strap as you tighten... :D
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Dave Wilson wrote:Well, as far as knots go- If you live in San Diego, one should use the San Diego knot as approved by Aaron M. If using the Palomar knot- spit on the strap as you tighten... :D
HAHAHA!!!!
CLEAN AND DRY
CN

Post by CN »

dwise wrote:Isn't the winch strap long enough that you can just cut off the bad part and have the hook sewn back on instead of buying a new strap?
I asked Cindy if she would, that's why I am on the third knot.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Winch the boat onto the trailer?, just drive it on and insert the strap S- hook into the bow eye and snug up the strap. All you should need is about 2" of slack in the strap and It shouldn't wear or deteriorate from UV.
Tom
PS; please don't tell me you wade out into the water to hook up the boat like weekend lake lice!
dwise

Post by dwise »

Oldschool wrote:Winch the boat onto the trailer?, just drive it on and insert the strap S- hook into the bow eye and snug up the strap. All you should need is about 2" of slack in the strap and It shouldn't wear or deteriorate from UV.
Tom
PS; please don't tell me you wade out into the water to hook up the boat like weekend lake lice!
Actually, Mark doesn't winch the boat ONTO the trailer like the lake lice. He drives it on, then climbs off the bow stepping onto the "launch pad", which is the tailgate on his pick up truck. Then he hooks the winch strap onto the bow eye and cranks the strap tight. I made the mistake of closing the tail gate once when I parked the truck after launching his boat, and when he went to put the boat back onto the trailer after fishing, he yelled at me, "Hey! You closed my launch pad!" He ended up climbing off the bow onto the trailer tongue. I didn't make that mistake again. :oops:
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Lake

Post by Lake »

I have had mine tear a couple time now. I noticed it before it broke. Both times I cut about 5ft off, into the area where it wasn't faded. Remove the strap, very easy. I took the eye and strap to my alterations guy and sewed it factory strong both times for 5 bucks.
dwise

Post by dwise »

Lake wrote:I have had mine tear a couple time now. I noticed it before it broke. Both times I cut about 5ft off, into the area where it wasn't faded. Remove the strap, very easy. I took the eye and strap to my alterations guy and sewed it factory strong both times for 5 bucks.
Exactly. There should be enough strap left on the winch to cut it and re-sew. Upholstery shops should be able to sew it as well.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club