Luxury Boat Tax...Come on!

afchris

Luxury Boat Tax...Come on!

Post by afchris »

Not a native of Cali but holy cow batman....I can't believe I'm paying property taxes on my Ranger!

Just got off the phone with the Solano County Assessor and even though I'm a resident of Illinois and on orders stationed out here I have to pay property taxes on my "luxury boat" haha.

This state is crazy. I got shwacked when I boat the boat. Even though it was an '08 and the previous owner had already paid taxes on it, I had to pay taxes as well. It wasn't cheap either!

Although Illinois isn't perfect, there's a smaller much smaller tax rate for buying used and def no "luxury boat" property tax.

Just had to vent....I'll tell you what though....there def are not many 10lbs+ bass in Illinois!!!!

Enjoy the 4th all!

Chris
Air Force Chris

My good friend chasing his dream....
[u]http://teampartak.webs.com/[/u]
dwise

Re: Luxury Boat Tax...Come on!

Post by dwise »

Welcome to California, the land of taxes.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
pete gardner

Post by pete gardner »

dwise wrote:Welcome to California, the land of taxes.
+1
Revoke36

Post by Revoke36 »

Be thankful that you're in one of the cheaper counties of the bay area for taxes. I use to use a relatives address from solano county to avoid the higher taxes here in Contra Costa when purchasing vehicles and such
Support 81
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

Don't forget the high registration costs of your vehicles, and the "weight" fees on pick up trucks!
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Yes, but, NOW you know how "special" your Ranger bass boat is to the State of California! They always treat my new Rangers with "special interest!!"
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

Yeah they tax you for just about everything here in CA, and they're not done yet, so assume the position. There is a way to make a boat tax lower than what it could be: When buying a new boat, have the dealer split the invoice between the boat and motor. That way, you're not showing the tax man the full amount of the package, just the cost of the boat.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
Popper

Post by Popper »

Welcome to California!
Guess what, after you paid you Property tax, Property tax on the boat, State Income tax, user fees for recreational parks, launching, parking fees, State gasoline tax, Sales tax, Boat Registration fee, Trailer Registration fee, vehicle registration fee, Tire disposal fee, fishing license, bridge tolls for your truck, and bridge tolls for your boat 2X if you've a tandem.......etc........
-The State of California is STILL BROKE and running 22 billion dollar deficits!!!

Guess what on the upcoming ballot?
The State of California under Governor Brown watch wants to increase your income taxes, sales tax, etc by having you vote for the increase. And they claim without the increase in revenue they'll need to cut expenses.
-What a joke!

Just make sure you vote NO!

Sorry for the rant.........but I am just plain Frustrated at the incompetence in Sacramento

Ed
dwise

Post by dwise »

Popper wrote: Guess what on the upcoming ballot?
The State of California under Governor Brown watch wants to increase your income taxes, sales tax, etc by having you vote for the increase. And they claim without the increase in revenue they'll need to cut expenses.
-What a joke!

Just make sure you vote NO!

Sorry for the rant.........but I am just plain Frustrated at the incompetence in Sacramento

Ed
He's proposing to raise the income taxes on persons making $250,000.00/year or more, and raising the sales tax by a quarter of a percent. He claims that the money would go to education but I have my doubts. Those legislators tell you one thing then use the money for other things. They rob Peter to pay Paul. They owe education millions, and they cut their budgets. Brown says if the tax increases don't pass this November, that he will have to cut education even more.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
davet.

Post by davet. »

Remember when they sold us the lottery BS as a windfall for schools and anybody against it was against educating our kids. What a joke, same ole crap.
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!
Bill Hutcheson

Post by Bill Hutcheson »

And that right there Chris is reason #742 that I decided to leave California after 4 decades of living there........

Until CA decides to completely douche their State elected officials, it is a sinking ship that will eventually go under.
Make it idiot proof and someone will invent a better idiot
Popper

Post by Popper »

-These post belongs on the political forum including this one-

Raising taxes on 250k along with a quarter per cent sales tax increase [everyone] will do nothing.............to solve next year and future budget deficits.
You can increase taxes 75 percent on the $250k on up, increase sales taxes another 1 PERCENT and you STILL will be running budget deficits in this State.
If this tax increase goes through I guarantee you the State of California will report another budget deficit the following year and so on...........
-It will never be enough..........

We all know what's require to solve these budget problems, but then that just facing reality.
-Bottom line, raising taxes solves nothing except driving business out of California as we have seen for years.........

Ed
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

part of that 22 billion deficit is thanks to a lousy stock deal by the assembly i believe it was in 99 or 2000. that deal was supposed to fund the CaLPers pension fund 100 percent...oops it only covers 75 percent leaving a deficit of 2 billion a year..guess u picks up the 25 percent....this info based on a news article so probably can search and find the details..
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2
Mike H

Post by Mike H »

Like has been said, Welcome to CA.

I still cant understand why I have to pay Property Tax on my boat that sits on a trailer that I pay DMV registration on both the boat and trailer. I could understand it more if I could live in my boat but it would be a pain trying to sleep in one of the rod lockers, HA!
Mike Holbrook

http://bassnman.com
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

Mike H wrote:Like has been said, Welcome to CA.

I still cant understand why I have to pay Property Tax on my boat that sits on a trailer that I pay DMV registration on both the boat and trailer. I could understand it more if I could live in my boat but it would be a pain trying to sleep in one of the rod lockers, HA!

Yeah, exactly what I've thought about, why should it be part of the so called "improvement" of your property? Oh well...
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

Mike H wrote: I still cant understand why I have to pay Property Tax on my boat that sits on a trailer that I pay DMV registration on both the boat and trailer. I could understand it more if I could live in my boat but it would be a pain trying to sleep in one of the rod lockers, HA!
What's more, my boat sits on my property which, of course, I'm paying taxes on. So it seems like double taxation to me. Isn't there something in the laws against that, or do lawmakers just not pay attention to that kind of stuff anymore?

Let's get a measure on the ballot, boys, and get this rip off changed!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
dwise

Post by dwise »

The boat tax is Unsecured Property Tax, the tax on your real estate is Secured Property Tax.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

dwise wrote:The boat tax is Unsecured Property Tax, the tax on your real estate is Secured Property Tax.
Dwise, so are cars and bikes and other crap we own but aren't charged the Unsecured Property Tax, what makes a boat special?

James
Popper

Post by Popper »

jloo283 wrote:
dwise wrote:The boat tax is Unsecured Property Tax, the tax on your real estate is Secured Property Tax.
Dwise, so are cars and bikes and other crap we own but aren't charged the Unsecured Property Tax, what makes a boat special?

James
Okay........with that reasoning let's add Unsecured Property Taxes to:
Lawn Mowers
bikes
Motorcycles
Cars
roller skates
lounge chairs, tables
Barbeque pits
etc...............

Unsecured Property Tax after paying sales taxes, registration fees on boats and trailers is double taxation.

Ed
dwise

Post by dwise »

Popper wrote:
jloo283 wrote:

James
Okay........with that reasoning let's add Unsecured Property Taxes to:
Lawn Mowers
bikes
Motorcycles
Cars
roller skates
lounge chairs, tables
Barbeque pits
etc...............

Unsecured Property Tax after paying sales taxes, registration fees on boats and trailers is double taxation.

Ed
I didn't say it was fair. I was merely pointing out that the "Luxury Boat Tax" is Unsecured Property Tax and taxes on real estate are Secured Property Tax. I guess they figure owning a boat is a luxury and we should be able to afford to pay luxury taxes. I'm not sure, but I think there is a minimum accessed value on a boat before they can charge unsecured property taxes. I don't remember having to pay this tax on the little 12' aluminum V-hull boat I used to own.

I agree, we pay taxes on top of taxes here in California. Joe Blow purchases a new boat, and pays sales tax to the DMV. Some time later I buy the boat used, and have to pay sales taxes on the same boat to the DMV again. It's the same with a car. That makes no sense to me, I don't like it but it is what it is and if I want to fish in my own boat, I have to pay.

Lawmakers in Sacramento get away with double, and triple taxation by calling certain taxes "fees" but what they really are are taxes disguised as fees. That way they don't need a two-thirds majority to pass these so called "fees" or "fake taxes" onto us.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Why aren't the rich crying about these luxury taxes.....because they don't pay them. It's paid by us ordinary people, who think doing the right thing is the right thing to do.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Marty

Post by Marty »

mark poulson wrote:Why aren't the rich crying about these luxury taxes.....because they don't pay them. It's paid by us ordinary people, who think doing the right thing is the right thing to do.
What makes you think the rich are not crying about luxury taxes?

Don’t you remember John Kerry tried to evade taxes ($500,000 ) in his home state (Massachusetts) by berthing his $7 million yacht's in Newport, R.I.. :lol:
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

My Plumas County tax assesor sent me a bill stating that the value of my 2007 Stratos was $38,000 so my 1% tax was $308.... I called and asked them how my boat had gained in value since I purchased it new for $37,500.... I was told that's what the blue book says so that is the value.... Long story short I had to pay the $308 and challenge the value.... took me 3 weeks to find the little note in the Blue Book that says the boat, motor & trailer are included in the value.....they were claiming the motor wasn't included and were adding $12,000 for the 225 Merc....
6 months later I received my $120 reimbursement for overpayed tax....and no they didn't pay me any interest....

James
Bassphish

Post by Bassphish »

I can't resist any longer commenting on this string . People have to work and pay taxes so others don't have to..... :shock: