Delta Tides?

tYLoU

Delta Tides?

Post by tYLoU »

With all the tide changes in the delta, is there a time where one technique is better for one tide than the other? Or will any technique work just the same on any given tide? For instance, Punching? Better on low tide or high tide? Does it matter and why? When the tides are going in or out do you fish with the incoming or out going current or against it? I have learned a lot over the 2-3 years I have been bass fishing. But I would have to say the tides are my biggest struggle. Lately before I hit the Delta I try to have a plan ready for the day. I try to focus on fishing a technique for that time of day that I think would work. But then try something else and if it works I try to figure out why. So basically am I choosing the wrong technique for that time and tide of the day? Or am I over thinking it?

If there are any articles that are a good read, please point me in that direction!! Thank you for your time.
jloo283

Re: Delta Tides?

Post by jloo283 »

The majority of us are in the same boat as you are. The very few though, do you really think these guys who have these things figured out would tell you, I mean REALLY tell you :lol: :lol: :lol:
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

I assume that your talking about fishing this time of year right? Don't over think the tides out on the delta like most people do. High tide bass move up right next to the bank or whatever cover that provides the most amount of shade for an ambush spot and to get out of the heat from the sun. And on low tide look at the grass line as a "bank line". Fish the grass line like how you would fish the bank on a high tide. It's all a personal preference on which tide to punch on, but for most of the guys in the know they like to punch on the lower tide because as the water level drops so does the amount of hiding spots under the mat so they are forced out closer to the edges of the mat I also look for Mats that are out of the current as well. It's a learning game that you just have to put in the time and learn to read the water or go with someone who's got a lot of experience on the water. :wink:
flipstar

Post by flipstar »

I am no expert by any means. My best suggestion is the next time you go out ignore the tide and go fishing. When you get home check your results and tjen the tides and begin to learn what worked better on what tide. Than you can start to put a gameplan for tides together.
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Some people like the high/incoming and some like the low/out going tides.
I prefer the low outgoing and the low incoming, I feel the fish are more concentrated on ambush points then the water has moved out and they don't have as mush water to roam in.
I hate high tide.
Gene
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

uhh.. id have to say, DONT ignore the tides. Im not saying only fish one tide or something, but tides are the key to what triggers delta fish to eat. outgo the prey usually get pulled to the edges as the water moves out and fish will postition thereselves accordingly. Same on the income, cover is being flooded and allowing the bait/prey to move back up into the shallower waters they had to abandon. I wouldnt over think how to approach spots according to tide, but definitely take into consideration what the water is doing and how it will effect the fish on the particular spot your working. And ALWAYS remember what the tide was doing when the fish do "click" for you, because that will pay off big time in the future. Oh and focus on what technique will work for the tide you are on as well as time of day. Id say tide has more effect on the fish than time of day (besides sunrise and sunset type deals)
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
tYLoU

Post by tYLoU »

I appreciate all the tips and advice. I know the Delta is going to take time and experience. I just wanted to see if it was just me or if I was doing something wrong.
Richard - Sonora

One More Piece of Info On Tides.......

Post by Richard - Sonora »

The tidal patterns repeat themselves on a regular basis each lunar cycle. So, if and when you find a tidal movement that you prefer, note it on your calendar because those same tidal conditions will exist in 14 days. The only change will be the amount if depth on that days' tides.
My own preference is to have full high that coincides with daybreak during the warm water period - May thru October. Why? Because the weedbeds are flooded allowing the bass to actively feed into the cover and the low-light promotes reaction strikes, especially topwater. When the sun starts to get higher the outgoing tide has started and the current and shade will position the fish. And, a fishing session from daybreak until late morning gets you off of water before the heat and idiots start to build up.
R - Sonora