New Calcutta D

bantam1

New Calcutta D

Post by bantam1 »

200D

400D

Features:

X-Ship- Double supported pinion gear to increase cranking power under heavy loads, and to further reduce friction on the spool for improved casting performance.

S Compact Body This is similar to what we have done with the Trinidad and Talica model reels. We have shrunk the body around the spool. The B side plate (palming side) is part of the frame. This allows for a reduction in overall size of the reel. The new Caluctta is 15% smaller on the B side, 11% narrower overall and 2% smaller on the A side (handle side).

X-Drag This is a new feature that involves moving the handle closer to the reel body for increased cranking leverage, rigidity and torque. This allows for less side to side tilt while cranking.

HEG High Efficiency Gearing

ARB and S-ARB bearings 5 total bearings (2 ARB, 2 S-ARB and 1 ARB anti reverse bearing)

Larger 90mm and 102mm(300/400 size) handles

Hybrid drag sytem We have combined cross carbon and Dartanium II to provide a much more consitent and durable drag system.

EI surface treatment on spool , frame and side plates

Covered by our Platinum Service Plan

CT200/201 D 5.7:1 (25 IPT) 11 Pounds max drag, 9.35 ounces $339.99
CT300/301D 5.6:1 (30 IPT) 15 pounds max drag, 11.6 ounces $369.99
CT400/401D 5.1:1 (27IPT) 15 pounds max drag, 11.8 ounces $379.99
Big Daddy TR21

Re: New Calcutta D

Post by Big Daddy TR21 »

Tried one out today and one complaint is why did they mess with the size of the star drag? I mean really your fighting a fish and you gotta try to turn that little tiny star drag? I tried 3 different times to make an adjustment to it as the fish is pulling and never came close to making that adjustment. They really should have left that alone.

John
Don't hate the Player, hate the game!!!
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

By moving the handle closer to the reel you get less wobble and more torque transfer. Typically you shouldn't have to play with the drag that much once you set it for the line you are using.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Agreed. Attempting to adjust drag during a fight is in most instances a formula for disaster. I've had the opportunity to fish this reel since November and the advantages from the new system far outweigh the drag star change.

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
mrfishin86

Post by mrfishin86 »

Just when I thought the Calcutta Series was the strongest it had ever been with the amazing Calcutta TE series reels... I WAS RIGHT...

How is it that a reel with a levelwind that disengages during a cast and when drag is being pulled is brought to the market as an upgrade to a previous model. It would appear to me that when talking especially about the 400TE/B or 300TE series that the new D series is a downgrade even from the B series in that regard...

What can Shimano do wrong next? Last year it was the Curado that they repainted, changed the name of and charged more money for and now they drop the outstanding TE series for a reel that is in some very important aspects lesser than the previous B series. Please don't go and kill the Stradic CI4 next... It is just unfortunate to see as Shimano is all I have used since I started fishing and now for the first time I will be looking at what other companies have available for my next reel purchase.
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

The spools are narrower but taller on the new D model. This is why we eliminated the non disengaging level wind. You now have less friction from the line guide moving as you cast. The D also has more cranking power with X-Ship. Don't knock it until you try it.
mrfishin86

Post by mrfishin86 »

Isn't the new 400 (disengaging levelwind) still wider than the previous 300te (non-disengaging level wind)? If the 300TE were built with one than I'm sure it was determined that a spool that wide could benefit from it, so then how is it that the current 400 which I believe is wider still than the past 300 size would not benefit from the same system? Or am I wrong in saying that the new 400 is wider than the past years 300?
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

It is a little wider, but the location of the line guide, spool height and several other variables help control this. We did lots of testing and determined this is the way to go with the new D model. They have been used to catch some pretty large species with no issues.

We still have the B model if you are attached to the non disengaging level wind design.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

A\nyone who takes the time to fish or even cast one of the new D series reels will quickly see just how ridiculous calling it a down grade is. I've had the priviledge of fishing every CT ever made, including the TE,
and this new D runs circles around em all. The S frame, Xship, dragstar, and larger handle all make for one fun round reel to fish. After an hour or so you don't even realize your throwing a round reel, and the castability is unbelievable.

Has Shimano made mistakes over time? Sure! But this ain't one of em IMHO. I'd take this new D over any round reel they've ever made. Perfect? NO, Damned good? YOU BET!

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com