delete this post

Don R

delete this post

Post by Don R »

I have an older model three bank Pro Charger with 10 amps per bank. It needs to be replaced. I have 3 new Optima batteries which have been used 5 times. Do I replace the charger with another Pro Charger , or is there another charger that would be better? Please give me advice on what to buy.
Thanks in advance,
Don Rieger
Last edited by Don R on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Gregg

Re: Battery charger

Post by Nick Gregg »

Check out the Dual Pro chargers at Tacklewarehouse.com

I just put the 3 bank 10 amp in my boat and it works excellent for AGM batteries like Optimas. They are also repairable if something does go wrong down the road.

Also, if you live in California, orders $50 or more can be over-nighted for no charge :)
fishin45

Post by fishin45 »

Most of the chargers on the market today have a dip switch that allows you to use both battery types. All you need to do is set the switch to the applicable battery type

good luck and tight lines
Don R

Post by Don R »

Did you purchase the SE SPORTSMAN EDITION 3 bank 10 amp series?
Thank you,
Don Rieger
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

Don,
If you haven't purchased a charger yet, take a look at the Stealth 1 system. I went to it a few years ago & have been very happy. I'm using it with the Diehard Platinum (AGM's made by Odyssey for Sears). It weighs less & takes up less space.
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Don we have the Dual Pro Chargers in stock at the Hook Line & Sinker
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

I just purchased a 4 bank Dual Pro for my Triton and have no complaints. It charges much faster than the original charger. I have wet cell batteries right now but the new chargers will also charge AGMs with no problem.

NoCAL
Don R

Post by Don R »

Thanks to all who have responded to my question!
Don Rieger
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Hi Don,
As others have mentioned, there are plenty of good chargers on the market too select from. The one thing I can tell you is whichever you buy make sure you stick with the 10 amp charger for your Optima's. That is recommended for these batteries and can help with the life span of the units.
You may already know about preferred care for your Optima's, but if not here's a link to more information on care, including charging:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/su ... tery-care/

Good luck with your charger decision... you have already made a GREAT one with your Optima Batteries.

Good Fishing,
Randy
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

For what it is worth , I had a battery problem a few years ago . I had to keep replacing the same battery every 6 months (under store warranty of course) . After realizing this couldn't be a battery issue , I pulled out the 8 year old original 3 bank charger . Tried to do some test's on it but I couldn't detect any issues.
So I contacted Dual and was told the charger I had as original equipment was an "analog" based charger and it was most likely "overcharging" one of the batteries and basically cooking it. I then decided to purchase a "digital" type charger from Dual and haven't had any additional battery issues. The guy at Dual said the newer digital type pulses the battery for charge capacity and can't overcharge the battery . he said all the new upper end units use this new digital method .
good luck tight lines
Robb