big fluctuations of water temp on the delta in close areas

Otay Michael

big fluctuations of water temp on the delta in close areas

Post by Otay Michael »

Anyone notice this phenomenon? Today the temp was all over the map on the Delta, in relatively close areas too, that was the weird thing!!? I would measure 55 in spots (flats), and just 40 yards away get 61 degree readings. I'd never seen such high fluctuations, you'd think the water would get mixed pretty good with the current. It was windy and cold, so that had some to do with it. I averaged 59, whereas last Thursday, after the heat wave, it was 64 everywhere, at mid-day. I was surprised some areas almost still read that today (63.4) was the highest, but again, it was only 100 yards away from some 59 readings.

Missed that warmer water overall bite I had a few days ago, got into some nice topwater fishing, with an average of fish running almost 3 lbs. Today, the bite was a good, but the fish were three times smaller. Got some stripers this time too, and man, had a giant one miss the Spook, but got her smaller sister instead a moment later, a three pounder.

Here are a few from last Thursday, got a feeling that 64 degree water won't be around till next May or June now!

Am between photo classes, just finished give one in Carmel over the past three days, this weekend I'll work in Yosemite. I think the snow there today might have ruined the fall color I was hoping to get.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Cooch

Re: big fluctuations of water temp on the delta in close are

Post by Cooch »

I think there might be a problem with yer temperature sensing device. Water temps for me have been 67-73 all last week. We have not had anything that would cause the temps here on the river to dip below 64, much less as low as 55. My temp sensor is on the trolling motor, with is about 1.5 foot down, I guess it's possible if yours is on the transome and is only peeking an inch or two below the surface, ya may be getting a cooler reading, but that is not a true reading versus what the bass here are actully experiencing, since they are all below 3 feet at the moment!
medfish

Re: big fluctuations of water temp on the delta in close are

Post by medfish »

Mike when you leaving town