club tourneys without permits

mark poulson

club tourneys without permits

Post by mark poulson »

There are a lot of clubs out there that don't pull or pay for DFG permits for their club tourneys.
They fish for money, so they are required by the DFG to have permits.
I know everyone hates paying taxes and fees, but most of us do it, anyway, because we realize that the services we expect, like DFG management of bass fisheries, aren't free.
But lots of clubs don't pay for permits, so they are using our lakes without paying their fair share of costs.
Is that right?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
NoCAL

Re: club tourneys without permits

Post by NoCAL »

Definitely NOT right. I am in a very small club and we pull permits for every event. We also don't fish Berryessa because of the BOR fees. If what you are saying really is true, it makes me very mad that some of us are following all the rules yet others are scoffing at them.

NoCAL
Kwin

Post by Kwin »

when organizations/clubs that do pull permits on a water body and one, if not more, other clubs show up that do not have a permit on the same day/weekend, guess who is going to get blamed when many dead fish are found the following morning? Who's permit is in jeopardy for future tournaments? Clubs that do not apply for permits will potentially jeopardize the abilities of both organizations and clubs that do, should something go wrong. In my opinion those without permits either don't know about them or don't care to get them. Those that don't know, usually are on board with the process because they care about the resource, those that don't care to pull permits are the most likely to cause problems for those that do.
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

we were
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

How many of the turkey shoots I see posted on here are getting permits? Technically, they need one too.
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

Hoey...SHUT IT. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LL South
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

JustinD wrote:Hoey...SHUT IT. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sup Rock crawler...
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

Nada.....when you coming out? Since I can't text/call ya to ask. :lol: :lol: :lol:
LL South
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

JustinD wrote:Nada.....when you coming out? Since I can't text/call ya to ask. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd like to soon. I'll get a hold of you soon bro.
fishinman

Post by fishinman »

I've been in 4 or 5 different clubs. Some did permits other didn't as far as I know. The key thing is that you are just kidding yourself if you think our fisheries have any management as far as the gov is concerned. Private groups with membership are way more involved with education and
managing our resources with our little green friends. The state could care less. All the fishys live in the water and that's managed by divisions of the state and possibly the federal government for use by the public for survival and farming, fishing is last on their list of importance. Now trout that's a different story, but they do feed the little green fishys. We all pay for fishing licenses which adds up to a significant sum of money but I THINK it goes into the general fund. Best a luck to Ya . :mrgreen:
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

The good clubs in So Cal do the right thing.... My club is one that definatly does not fall short.

There are many clubs listed on the Western Bass Club directory link. It's really a small world of bass fisherman here in the area. Most bass guys know which clubs are decent because they have heard of them. You can go to any tackle shop in So Cal and the guys there will tell you which clubs they recommend. For instance in my area just go to Savon Tackle, Kenny's Rod & Reel, Last Chance, Anglers Marine and ask the guys, almost every bass boat in the water was originally purchased at Angler's Marine, they know.

It's easy to get a DFG permit and easy to obey the laws regarding this great sport. My hat goes off to the Fisheries Branch in our region and in the surrounding regions who for "Mr Fishinman's" information do give a crap. They do everything they can to assist us and help us bass organizations both large and small, like us clubs, to help keep us organized. They support us and make our club events, even as small as some are, enjoyable and safe by making sure we stay organized and up to date with every bit of information available to promote the sport we love. We know them personally because we talk to them and meet with them frequently. They do a fantastic job in the continuing study of the bass populations in the lakes we fish here like Pyramid, Piru, Castaic, Silverwood, Perris and DVL just to name my local lakes. For anybody to think different doesn’t have the facts correct.

I encourage you to join a good club, it makes bass fishing a blast by improving your skills by a friendly exchange of fishing techniques through a fellowship of common anglers in monthly tournaments. The good clubs also offer our state conservation department our moral and political support as well as our encouragment.
What you say is meaningless.........What you do is everything!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

All of the DFG people are fisheries biologists, and they all fish, too.
They care.
They monitor lakes and try to minimize pressure on the fisheries by requiring permits for both clubs and for-pay tourneys.
They are not our enemy. They are the only true friends we have in State Govt.
The politicians just want to get reelected, and to sell their tails to the highest bidder. Private finance of public office make whores of all of them.
CLEAN AND DRY
dwise

Post by dwise »

Isn't there some regulation that states a penalty for holding a tournament without a valid permit?
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
DL

Post by DL »

dwise wrote:Isn't there some regulation that states a penalty for holding a tournament without a valid permit?
Ya, its called a fine. And every officer listed on the clubs roster will be subject to it if the agent feels like writing you up.

When I was with SOCB we got a quick lesson at Lake Perris one spring afternoon. Needless to say my two terms as president we had permits. Cant say what they are doing now, but when i was president we had annuals. I have been two (2) DFG jamborees and the only club i can remember being there was Castaic Bass Club... There may have been others, but the only one i know for sure that was there was Castaic..
"Feel the steel"
TC619

Post by TC619 »

I have been to 8 SoCal Jamborees. The way I understand it is, If you have more than 50 anglers or give away $1000.00 or more in prizes or if you want a lake variance (Hodges, El Capitan) you need an "EVENT PERMIT". Cost about $55.00 per event. You can also get a club "ANNUAL PERMIT" that covers all club tournament that don't need a Event Permit. Annual permit cost is about the same $55.00 for the year. You must fill out and send in the results to the DFG after each event.
There is really no reason a club should not have the proper permit from the DFG for their clubs tournaments.
Terry Chenowth
San Diego Bassmasters
Topwater Terry

Post by Topwater Terry »

Most clubs don't attend the jamboree, and many of them prolly wait for other organizations to post their schedule before coming up with their own. I did that for my club this year to get less conflicts with groups like top stick, which some of my club guys like to fish. It's about 57 bucks for an annual permit, which can list up to 10 lakes, as long as they don't have a variance like Castaic. Those lakes must all go on seperate permits...
Kwin

Post by Kwin »

as a club applying for an annual permit it is $57.68 for up to 12 derbies anywhere in CA. That's $4.80 for each one. The info gained from knowing the number of tournaments occurring (through the number of permit applications) and from the tournament report forms returned is very helpful in managing the fisheries. If clubs don't get permits and don't return contest report forms, valuable information is lost, which makes management more difficult.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Kwin wrote:as a club applying for an annual permit it is $57.68 for up to 12 derbies anywhere in CA. That's $4.80 for each one. The info gained from knowing the number of tournaments occurring (through the number of permit applications) and from the tournament report forms returned is very helpful in managing the fisheries. If clubs don't get permits and don't return contest report forms, valuable information is lost, which makes management more difficult.
Exactly! We all cry about how fishing pressure has impacted our lakes.
The DFG, through it's permitting process, tries to limit that pressure, at least from tournaments, so our fish aren't hammered each weekend.
Our club had a Sunday tourney earlier this month at Pyramid, and the day before there were three other clubs up there having their own tourneys. Only one of them had a permit.
Rules have reasons, like driving on the right side of the road and speed limits. Everyone bitches and moans about them, but, without them, traiffic would be in chaos.
The same goes for our lakes, and our fisheries.
CLEAN AND DRY
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

mark poulson wrote:
Kwin wrote:as a club applying for an annual permit it is $57.68 for up to 12 derbies anywhere in CA. That's $4.80 for each one. The info gained from knowing the number of tournaments occurring (through the number of permit applications) and from the tournament report forms returned is very helpful in managing the fisheries. If clubs don't get permits and don't return contest report forms, valuable information is lost, which makes management more difficult.
Exactly! We all cry about how fishing pressure has impacted our lakes.
The DFG, through it's permitting process, tries to limit that pressure, at least from tournaments, so our fish aren't hammered each weekend.
Our club had a Sunday tourney earlier this month at Pyramid, and the day before there were three other clubs up there having their own tourneys. Only one of them had a permit.

Rules have reasons, like driving on the right side of the road and speed limits. Everyone bitches and moans about them, but, without them, traiffic would be in chaos.
The same goes for our lakes, and our fisheries.
Mark why don't you just tell us who these clubs are?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Dave,
I guess I don't name names because, for me, anyone who fishes and is a member of a club needs to take the personal responsibility to ask their club officers if they have a permit, and, if not, either demand that permits are obtained, to avoid doing something both illegal and unethical, or find another club that plays by the rules.
I don't know how someone can trust the other members of the club to follow club and tourney rules, and compete against them, when they know the club is comfortable with breaking the law.
Finding out if your club has pulled permits it easy. Just go online to the DFG website and see if there is a club permit for the lake and day your club is fishing next.
Here's the link:

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishingContests/default.aspx
CLEAN AND DRY
kitjack

Post by kitjack »

If the DFG would enforce the law and write a couple large dollar tickets the problem would be solved. There are way too many permits issued on each lake, which hurts the fisheries and has created the mess we have with too many tournaments with too few boats. If they limited each lake to something 30 tournament days a year it would be better for tournaments and for the general angling public too, and their first responsibility is to the general public. Tournaments with less than 10 boats should not need a tournament as the y do not hurt anyone or are they intended to make money. But if they exceed 10 boats that should result in a fine. Enforce the laws!
dwise

Post by dwise »

mark poulson wrote:Dave,
I guess I don't name names because, for me, anyone who fishes and is a member of a club needs to take the personal responsibility to ask their club officers if they have a permit, and, if not, either demand that permits are obtained, to avoid doing something both illegal and unethical, or find another club that plays by the rules.
I don't know how someone can trust the other members of the club to follow club and tourney rules, and compete against them, when they know the club is comfortable with breaking the law.
Finding out if your club has pulled permits it easy. Just go online to the DFG website and see if there is a club permit for the lake and day your club is fishing next.
Here's the link:

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishingContests/default.aspx
You can Export this list to your computer and open it using Excel. From there you can sort the data any way you like. I sorted mine by club name.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Soulman

Post by Soulman »

You can export it if you need a hard copy, but you can sort right from the website- just click any column heading- in this case "Sponsor Name" and it will sort alphabetically.
You'll probably find that the list updates very frequently as we approach the new year, although it appears to me that most of the major orgs are represented already.