Best gel coat cleaner/wax ?

DL

Best gel coat cleaner/wax ?

Post by DL »

What is the best cleaner/wax on the market right now.

Gotta do some TLC on my boat and what I have probably expired and passed its effectiveness..
"Feel the steel"
DL

Re: Best gel coat cleaner/wax ?

Post by DL »

Thanks for the input. 69 views...apparently I'm the only that waxes his boat..
"Feel the steel"
dwise

Post by dwise »

DL wrote:Thanks for the input. 69 views...apparently I'm the only that waxes his boat..
I use a product by 3M called 3M Fiberglass Cleaner and Wax to clean the fiberglass. I have a white hull on my boat so I get dark spots on it that regular cleaner won't take off.

After I clean the hull with the 3M, I use a spray-on product made by Hot Sauce called, "Quickie Sauce", but only because I'm too lazy to use a paste wax. I'm sure there are better wax products out there, but I have to use up what I already purchased until I run out. Then I can buy a better wax.

I use Peregrine 250 each time I get off the water to clean, wax, and take off water spots. If you have a lot of water spots on your hull you can use a product called Water Dog to take them off. Water Dog is made by the same company that makes Peregrine 250.

Sorry, I know I'm not much help.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

DL wrote:Thanks for the input. 69 views...apparently I'm the only that waxes his boat..
No one likes you.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
DL

Post by DL »

dwise wrote:
I use a product by 3M called 3M Fiberglass Cleaner and Wax to clean the fiberglass. I have a white hull on my boat so I get dark spots on it that regular cleaner won't take off.

After I clean the hull with the 3M, I use a spray-on product made by Hot Sauce called, "Quickie Sauce", but only because I'm too lazy to use a paste wax. I'm sure there are better wax products out there, but I have to use up what I already purchased until I run out. Then I can buy a better wax.

I use Peregrine 250 each time I get off the water to clean, wax, and take off water spots. If you have a lot of water spots on your hull you can use a product called Water Dog to take them off. Water Dog is made by the same company that makes Peregrine 250.

Sorry, I know I'm not much help.
So far your help has been just right, thanks. I am familiar with 3M products and will check them out. I also use Roger's Peregrine products on a regular basis, but im getting low and will need some soon...I wish he had deep cleaner wax :)

Thanks for your input.
"Feel the steel"
DL

Post by DL »

mark poulson wrote:
No one likes you.
I think you may be right...
"Feel the steel"
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

i use eagle one spray wax. reasonably priced and works great..
Matt M.

Post by Matt M. »

Dude...She's way past a cleaning/wax job. Get the buffer back out! :mrgreen:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Just in case you forget how its done...

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Restore-Boat cleaner and polish, L&L Products, Inc. 800/618.3377
I don't believe this has a self life expiration date.
Tom
h00ligan

Post by h00ligan »

$5 spray detailer at Walmart does the same thing. Dont spend all that money on that Boat Bling whatever. I use a chemical i got at a detail shop for the spots and brown stains takes it right off. Its got vinigar and some other stuff im not sure but its $5 a bottle. Still both are cheaper then one of the above mentioned.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

I believe the title was best, not cheapest, under $12 a quart is too much $ to protect your $20-50K bass boat. You spray this or a similar product on when you wipe down the boat after fishing each trip, a quart will last over a year, your boat looks new. Neglect your boat, put it away wet and you will spend a lot of hours and $$ to fix it.
Tom
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

It seems like this topic comes up every few months on the forums. Research it. Peregrine 250 is probably the most popular response, but remember anything that has a cleaner with abrasives eventually wears away at the clear coat. You will need a high speed buffer to take out the small scratches that occur over time.
My 2008 Champion has stayed showroom fresh by using Bow to Stern (BTS) after every outing. It is specifically made for gel coats and is a protectant, not a wax. I almost never have to use vinegar to remove water spots. BTS protects longer in harsh conditions and doesn't hurt your gelcoat because it doesn't have any strong cleaners in it. It costs $45 a gallon at the Tackle Warehouse and will last a very long time if you spray it on a wet rag and wipe it off with a clean dry towel. Don't waste it by spraying it all over the boat like I see people doing with the other products. It is also the only product that I have tried that protects my aluminum trim in the warmer months on the Colorado River lakes. It smells like Armor All and will protect your seats also.
LEN B

Post by LEN B »

#1 Meguiars Flagship Premium Cleaner
#2 Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax
#3 303 As a wipe down

LEN :)
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7dd34b3127ccec0ca2f54d84500000010O00AbtGbho2bsmIPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/[/img]
Eric Ocampo

Post by Eric Ocampo »

Wet sand / 3m imperial compound / high speed buff / 3m scotch gaurd wax
It will amaze you I promise! My boat was yellow as all hell and it did the trick

I use hot sauce or pink stuff spray at the ramp

Eric
mrobinett

Post by mrobinett »

I gel coated for 10 years back in the 70's. The only thing to get rid of most of the discoloration is to buff them out. If you decide to try it, and it's not he easiest thing to do, let me know. I have a buffer at the shop I can loan you. Mike