boat ins

fishwithron2

boat ins

Post by fishwithron2 »

Looking for pro and cons on boat ins company. Going to need new policy soon and going with anew company. Have Farmers's now and they go thru a broker and was assign to Foremost. Want a comapny with a set rate for replacement and not what NADA value is.
thanks
Mark Hiser

Re: boat ins

Post by Mark Hiser »

Try contacting Keith Reed, here on this forum. He has done a very good job for me, and with a company that does boat insurance, better coverage, and a fair (well it is insurance) price point for the product. I think he goes by "Bassnreed.

Mark Hiser
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

here's a question on Insurance .
I have AAA for my truck but have Progresive for the boat/trailer .
In a discussion yesterday with the AAA people , If I had thier premier car towing insurance (100 miles towing free) and I had been towing my boat , they would only tow the vehicle and not the boat /trailer.
So if I had a truck problem while going/coming from a Lake , they would make me leave the trailer/boat to tow the vehicle .
Does a boat policy typlically cover only the boat trailer if I needed assistance due to a trailer problem?
Does it make better sense to have only one carrier for both the vehicle and boat ?
I hate insurance questions , but need to make suree i am covered
Robb
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

Robb R,
I have AAA prem which covers my 100 mile towing and it cover boat/trailer. I had use it acoupal of time when I needed a flat bed trailer for my boat and I had them tow my friends boat using my card once. It saved him $$$$$$$ by using my card.
Think on your reg boat ins it covers limited miles ( not sure ) and amount. So the AAA car coverage better.
Now I want coverage for set replacement and not NDA which we'll come out in the short end as their price more base on back east where cost is higher out west.
longshot

Post by longshot »

I too have AAA and have the 100 mile policy I have not had a tow in many years but I have had them tow my vehicle and flat bed my boat/trailer in the past maybe something has changed?
I can't say enough of AAA and with the 100 mile towing it can really save you!
dwise

Post by dwise »

I have Foremost, and my policy covers boat towing.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

AAA has 3 coverage on towing.
reg 5 miles
plus 100 miles
prem 200 miles
This cover car and boat
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Guys , thanks ,
I talked with a guy at AAA just yesterday and he said absolutely that the boat WOULD NOT
BE towed if I had a policy that covered my vehicle , whether or not I had the regular 5 mile tow or the 100 mile tow .
I can see where the 100 mile towing would be great if I was on a trip to a lake and had a car breakdown.
But it would be completely useless if they wouldn't bring the boat/trailer with the vehicle .
I will check again and see if someone different says otherwise.
I hate dealing with Insurance companies!!!!!!
Robb
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

Robb R,
Think your agent got it wrong as I had my boat/trailer put onto a flat bed and they took it to a repair shop when the springs on the axle broke and unsafe to tow. I requested a flat bed and inform them of the problem. They sent a flat bed tow truck and then put the boat/trailer on it . I have the plus policy ( 100 miles).
I double check on their toll number which you call and the agent there verify it and had a tow truck here. Maybe your agent is not up to date as he never had that problem come up.

ron
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Ron ,
is your boat policy also with AAA?
When I called , I used a general info line and the person I talked with sounded like a 20 year old right outa college.
I ask all this because of an issue when my truck broke down , thermostat went out and my shop was about 14 miles from the truck location . When I called AAA to find out if I had coverage ( 5 mile vs. 100 mile ) they said I didn't have the 100 mile coverage but there wouldn't be a charge for the 14 miles . When the tow got there , they informed me 5 miles was free , but had to pay for the extra 9 miles ( $55) . I had him tow it then called AAA , they admitted I was misquoted and reimbursed me for the $55.
I am only interested in the 100mile tow program if the boat comes with the truck , As I previously stated , my current boat coverage is with Progresive and my truck is with AAA with a 5 mile coverage . The extra $ for the 100 mile are tempting if the boat comes with it in the event of a truck failure. I would hate to have a truck failure going to some distant Lake and the tow guy ends up telling me he can't bring the boat with the truck
Thanks again,
Robb
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

Before I had my boat ins with Foremost and they do offer towing on the boat. Think they have a limited amount charge and didn't want to be stuck out middle of no where when towing my boat. I only had AAA plus then when I needed their service. At that time I did not have their reg home or car ins. I was just a AAA plus member.
Don't know what to say, cuz I use my AAA plus twice to have a boat/trailer towed and all I did was show my AAA plus card and sign. Maybe other memeber can comment on this ???
Zak Elrite

Post by Zak Elrite »

Hi guys! My girlfriend is a manager for two AAA offices and I can answer this for you. I have had my Ford Excursion and my Ranger Z20 towed on Silverado Trail towards Clear Lake(just into middletown) and so I know it can be done. Here is the specific language (or close to it). If it does not exceed 10k lbs total and the towing company that contracts with AAA has the correct equipment and doesn't object, then you're good. Again, when you call you "should" not say you're vehicle is lifted or lowered(if this is the case) as they will deny you right there Also tell them you are under 10k lbs. The towing company might have to be re-assured(as I had to do when towing both mine) but they can do it and cover it. They might however, dock you for two tows at one time depending on the driver and your AAA roadside coverage. Well worth the yearly fee IMHO!
Take Care!
[b]Zak Elrite[/b]
Bagel Bar, Mercury Marine, Lowrance, Coyote Bait & Tackle, Ben Green Insurance, G-Funk Baits, Keitech, Spearpoint Hooks, Dobyns Rods, Lews Reels, Bucknbass
semipro

Post by semipro »

I had similar problem when my truck blew a water hose and kept having over heating problems until it was completely fixed (heater core went out and the hose was just capped off which caused cooling problems. I have AAA extended towing and on more than one occasion, they put the truck on the flat-bed and hooked the boat to the ball. Towed me once from around Tulloch back to Oakdale and from the middle of nowhere back to Merced. No problem or hassle either time.
Steve Marino
(209) 918-1639

http://www.ownerhooks.com
http://www.yakimabait.com
http://www.vicious-fishing.com/
BassnReed

Post by BassnReed »

Hey guys, thanks Mark for the kuddos, if I can help anyone with their Boat Insurance, just let me know. I work with Twin Rivers Marine Ins Agency in Antioch. We offer "Agreed Value" policies through various Marine Insurance Companies and have very competitive rates. I will be at the ISE show all day today, but PM me or give me a call and i would be glad to try and help or answer any questions you may have.

Keith Reed
Mobile; 707-704-3209
KReed