Battery Charging

Don R

Battery Charging

Post by Don R »

I have a Champion 181 with a new Minkota 70. I have three new Optima batteries set up at 24 volts. Both the trolling motor and the batteries have been used very little due to health. Is it normal that every 2 weeks I charge the batteries and the green light comes right on for the starting battery but the trolling batteries take about 1 hour to charge. I have a new Pro Sportsman Series 3 bank, 10 amp charger. Is this the norm?
Thanks for any input!
Don Rieger
tmulliken

Re: Battery Charging

Post by tmulliken »

your starting battery is charged by your big motor, apparently doing a good job if the green light for that battery comes on immediately, however, a one hour time frame to bring the TM batteries up to full charge sounds very short, but, the green lights do mean full charge. Are you getting good results from the trolling motor on a full day of fishing? If so, sounds like all is good. just wondering, you mentioned every two weeks, is that after being on the water?
GW

Post by GW »

Is your trolling motor plugged in? I am willing to bet it draws power even when not in use. Unplug it, charge your batteries them see what happens next time
mrbassin0614

Post by mrbassin0614 »

GW wrote:Is your trolling motor plugged in? I am willing to bet it draws power even when not in use. Unplug it, charge your batteries them see what happens next time
The big motor draws more power than tm should!
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Don,
As the others said... there are things on your rig that can/will draw even when not in normal use. This draw is usually very minimal. You have Optima's with a 10 amp charger (recommended for Optima Batteries)... the quick charge time (green light) sounds about right, again because your batteries are not used often.
I would say to unplug your TM as well... normally the draw from just sigtting there is very minimul which is evident by the 1 hour charge time every 2 weeks. Sounds like you are not having much other draw coming from anything else as your starting battery lights up green right away... everything besides your TM normally runs off your starting battery, so if you were having a bunch of draw or if something was left on then you would see your starting battery being the one that needed more of a charge after just sitting with no big motor running.

Do you have anything else running off your trolling motor batteries? I would check that... but as GW said... unplug your TM and test it that way...
But... Overall, It does not sound like you have much to worry about... your charger is working and your Optima's are holding a very good charge...
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
Don R

Post by Don R »

First of all, I don't have a plug in set up. On the side of the trolling motor pedal there is a switch. One position is ON, 2nd position is OFF and the third position is for continuous run. I keep it in the off position when it is not being used. I noticed months ago that by putting the switch in the OFF position the trolling batteries didn't discharge like they did in the past! I appreciate all the info I received and it looks like I don't have a problem after all.
Thank you,
Don Rieger
GW

Post by GW »

Don,

You could always just pull the positive side of the battery for the trolling motor, just remember to re-connect it before you go to the lake
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Shut your Perko switch off. There's nothing wrong with your charger or batteries.
Don R

Post by Don R »

Kevin - What is a Perko switch? A joke the old man isn't getting?
Don R
Big Daddy TR21

Post by Big Daddy TR21 »

You can also try just leaving you batteries plugged in. I never unplug mine when I get home I turn my Perko switches to off to make sure all my batteries have no power being wasted and just plug them in until my next outing. My batteries are now 6 years old and I have never had a problem with them TM still runs all day and starting holds up all day even with two graphs running as well as my live wells.

Hope this helps.

John
Don't hate the Player, hate the game!!!