San Jose Bass Pro Shop

rexford

San Jose Bass Pro Shop

Post by rexford »

Bass Pro Shops announced it will open a San Jose store in 2015 at the new Almaden Ranch shopping center near the intersection of Almaden Expressway and Highway 85.
The 145,000 square-foot store will sell hunting, fishing and outdoor gear and is the anchor tenant of the 350,000 square-foot retail center.
The Springfield, Mo.-based chain is known for combining retail with entertainment, conservation and outdoor education.
Bass Pro Shops' exterior and interior motifs include massive log and rock work, large indoor aquariums and water features stocked with native fish species as well as an extensive collection of museum quality fish and wildlife mounts. The Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World store in San Jose will also feature an Uncle Buck's Fishbowl and Grill.
Bass Pro Shops operates 77 retail stores in 26 states and Canada.
GW

Re: San Jose Bass Pro Shop

Post by GW »

remember when they were going to open a Sacramento store too?
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

If I remember right that was part of a downtown development package that fell through when the new arena deal didn't come to fruition.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Support your local shops, so they will be there for you when you need them.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
mrobinett

Post by mrobinett »

What Mark said X100000.
Zak Elrite

Post by Zak Elrite »

As I posted on my FaceBook site, I am not publicly denouncing Bass Pro Shops. I am PLEADING with you all who are local(or if you're not) to NOT support their fishing department. I am a Coyote Bait and Tackle Prostaffer and have shopped there since I was 15(19 years). We also have Mel Cottons that will feel this hit. Of course this new Bass Pro can bring good things to our San Jose area but this WILL KILL the local shops if we don't stay strong! I will only visit Bass Pro for what Coyote Bait does not sell. Coyote Bait has, and will have better rods, reels, tournament tackle, knowledge and of course live bait. Not to mention Coyote will have real deal swimbaits and better prices all around! I ask again, please do not support the Bass Pro fishing department!!
Thanks!
[b]Zak Elrite[/b]
Bagel Bar, Mercury Marine, Lowrance, Coyote Bait & Tackle, Ben Green Insurance, G-Funk Baits, Keitech, Spearpoint Hooks, Dobyns Rods, Lews Reels, Bucknbass
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Jobs will be created by bass pro shop is the bottom line coyote bait and tackle will always do will because of what they offer as well mel cottons.I would think that creating jobs not only at bass pro shop and the other businesses that are built around bass pro shop would be first and foremost thing on the list no matter who you support.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I think it's important not to let our love of fishing cloud our judgement.
For the most part, BPS sells imported products, and pays low wages, like WalMart.
Cheaper imports means fewer good manufacturing jobs here, so the retailers will have to sell even cheaper stuff that people living here and making less can afford.
Eventually, no matter how cheaply they make and sell stuff, no one will make enough to buy anything.
That may be stretching it to an extreme, but that has been the trend ever since we transitioned to a "service economy" starting under the Reagan adminstration. Look at how real wages have fallen in the last 35 years.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
davetNitro

Post by davetNitro »

BPS = nice place for tourists, BPS = bad place to shop!
DaveT

'06 Nitro 911 250 Verado
HDS 10, 8 LSS-1 LWX-1
SonicHub MercMonitor
Juanito

Post by Juanito »

hhhhhmmmmmm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Juanito on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zak Elrite

Post by Zak Elrite »

JIggin4bass, Coyote Bait(and Mel's) will definitely struggle for the first six months to a year. I spoke with Denise directly and it is a worrisome topic for sure. I did say that this will create jobs and that I am not denouncing Bass Pro. Coyote has a great market but it's important to spread the word to "novice" anglers to support Coyote instead of BPS. They have many products for the outdoors that are considered very good but Mark has a point too. Apparently we'll have to wait and see. :)
[b]Zak Elrite[/b]
Bagel Bar, Mercury Marine, Lowrance, Coyote Bait & Tackle, Ben Green Insurance, G-Funk Baits, Keitech, Spearpoint Hooks, Dobyns Rods, Lews Reels, Bucknbass
crawdaddy

Post by crawdaddy »

I am a Mel's loyal customer and I also frequent Coyote often. I also use Tackle Warehouse, BTD, and Monster for fishing items as well. I also occasionally shop at BPS both online and rarely in the Manteca store. I am thrilled that there is enough fishing and hunting equity in our area to support a store of this magnitude and that to buy my engine oil at the absolute best price around I only will have to drive a short distance. I am happy that many new jobs will be created for people that need them and another resource is available for fishermen to get the items they want and need to get on the water.

What is the difference between going on TW or BPS? Coyote is a bit of a drive for me and I buy many items from TW that Coyote carries but with free shipping I don't have to spend a dime in gas. I am all for supporting local shops but they have to understand my position as well. Getting upcharged for frogs during the Snag-Proof tourney is one way I have been fleeced a "local" shop in the past. I have also asked questions about equipment from local shops and gotten inaccurate answers as well. I still support them but not implicitly.

We are the market and our business is not the sole possession of the local shops. Most of us use online retailers to get products anyway so we are already undercuting our local shops. It is a fact. At the end of the day conveniece and price do play a part in my consumer choices as they do with most people. Please don't make it sound as if the arrival of a store that has had a serious online presence for years is going to change our buying patterns. They are already being changed.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Not to be a hijacker but I personally shop at fishermans, BPS, tacklewarehouse and outdoor pro shop. I try to spread it out and still shop at wallyworld as well. My two pennies worth. RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Zak Elrite

Post by Zak Elrite »

Crawdaddy, with all due respect, you shop for convenience, not to support local business. I purchase everything at Coyote(barring emergency needs while at a tournament). Coyote will ship for free on orders over $50 online to the 48 contiguous states. I'm sure the majority of all of our orders are around the $50-$100 range. I have no intention of coming down on you for your decision on where you shop. You're free to do so, as we all are. This will bring "some" jobs to San Jose area and "some" business, however, it will also hurt small, local business for 6 months to one year. My point in this thread is to bring to light that if you're local, please don't support "the fishing department" at BPS. Please understand I respectfully ask this of you and all locals. I am not name calling or trying to start any word wars. I will visit the BPS too, but only for clothing, outdoor/camping items etc. If you can drive to the new BPS, Coyote is only 7-10 more minutes down the road. Thanks for your understanding.
[b]Zak Elrite[/b]
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I buy all my fishing tackle yamamoto grubs and jig material Hooks,Fiberguards,Silicone skirting material, Round rubber, Flashabou, Bucktail, Powder paint all wholesale. Ive been doing it this way for years now. i can have custom fiberguards made and custom silicone skirts made also. Less hassle that way.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley