Banning A-Rig From Tournaments Petition

BRGDnation408

Banning A-Rig From Tournaments Petition

Post by BRGDnation408 »

Ever since the A-Rig has hit the scene of Bass Fishing, all its done is make problems or tournament anglers across the nation. The reason why bass fishing was such a addicting popular sport wasn't cause of the expensive tricked out bass boats, how much tackle you have, all the custom swimbaits and crankbaits, all the rods and reels you had, it was about the skill and what you know. When your number gets called to blast off, it was game time and the adrenalin rush and playing the field was intense. Now is just about when can I cash in my check. Although I throw the rig, I only like to throw it for fun and not in tourneys. Developing the skill to overcome situations and come out on top different times of the year is so rewarding and feels good especially when Nature is being your worst enemy for that given day. I have witnessed guys that I know on the circuits (wont name who) that have been the best of the best putting in hours and days on the water to develop these type of skill and all of a sudden fall down to a 2day, just learned what a senko was, to the person throwing the A-Rig in tournaments. Now to me that is worse than cherry picking a tourney. It is sad to see and to my opinion disrespectful. Come on guys wheres all your skill at? Did you really forget you were a bass fisherman? I understand that its fun and really cool to see big weights come in to the scales BUT I would definitely raise the 1st gentleman's hand that said I caught my fish at a rockpile near a point that no one knows about and had 18lbs before I raise the hand of 1st place that caught it on a A-Rig everywhere and got 33lbs. I'm in for the skill, thrill of competitive Bass Fishing. If we can throw the A-Rig in tournaments, might as well let us throw out live minnows. This is just my opinion and if anyone out there dis-agrees with me then let it be heard. I'm just saying lets play the field not the fish..Here is a link if you want to petition this Rig in all tournaments.

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/ban-alabama-rig
yjjustforme

Re: Banning A-Rig From Tournaments Petition

Post by yjjustforme »

Didn't they also wana ban senkos when they first came out, look at em now. Just sayin :wink:
BlackGmc

Post by BlackGmc »

Have you caught 33lbs of Bass on the A-Rig fun fishing each time throwing it ?

I am going to give my opinion, a lot of guys throwing the Rig aren't even getting a fish on it. It dose require some type of skill to throw this rig, it isn't a catch all bait. Its in No Way the same thing as using LIVE BAIT.......... :D

Again thats just my opinion on the A-Rig....
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

I guess finding good fish isn't a skill anymore. Just pull up to any spot, pull out an A-rig and load the boat with 30+lbs.
Levy

Post by Levy »

I would not say it is as easy as folks are making it out to be. You still need skill to throw a a-rig. That being said I happily signed the petition as I agree 1 line 1 lure for tourny's.

Jon Levenson
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

I don't want to throw the A rig, catching all those big fish would make me tired and wear me out.

I am too old for that stuff.

Well maybe if I got T-booster and started hitting the gym again.....

:mrgreen:
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
BRGDnation408

Post by BRGDnation408 »

lol why go to the gym when you can just keep throwing that rig and you'll beef up your arms that way...
BRGDnation408

Post by BRGDnation408 »

In no way is a senko comparable to the A-Rig. 1st of all theres multiple rigs on a A-RIG and theres only one OCHO SENKO..2nd bass are not triggered to eat a senko they just eat it when its in there face but they are triggered to eat an A-Rig because it looks like a ball of bait fish which they feed on all year long . Comparing the senko to the A-Rig is like comparing a Tricked out Honda Civic to a Lamborghini. You might get a thumbs up or two with the civic but Lambos will turn heads all day long. Since the A-Rig has sooo much water displacement, it pulls bass from a very far distance. Yea there might be some kind of skill involved but not enough to justify that you got mad skills. And yes I've caught over 39lbs on this rig alone within 4hrs of fishing.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

it's not the catch all rig...telling you this first hand. last winter/prespawn the A-rig was incredible on my home lakes. This year I can't barely get bit on it... it's NOT the solve all baits. Guess what...I know 1 set of guys catching 30lbs plus every day out with out the A-Rig. :mrgreen: 1 bait, 1 rod! SKILL INVOLVED!

Doesn't matter what the rig is...if it's whooping the fish someone's going to bitch and moan. Like I said...I've got friend up north that are smashing giant bags and don't have the A-rig on the boat. I've watched the videos to prove it!
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
bradAmo

Post by bradAmo »

I agree with what your saying BRGDnation408. (elfish16) The A Rig is not a catch all bait and then again what is. If you gave everyone minnows in a tourney there will still be guys coming in with smaller sacks and some not even catching a limit. To say anything is a catch all or to hang your head on saying its ok to use an A rig because its not a catch all is not ok. The A Rig gives an angler a chance to catch a sack of a lifetime fall thru spring. Im not against an angler using it in a tourney because it is legal. Im not bashing guys who use it. I just wish we got back to fishing with one lure and actually have to find a pattern with in a pattern to win.I mean why find schools of bait when you can throw your own. Picasso is coming out with a 16 bait rig to be in tackle warehouse soon. I think its going to far.
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

Dang, I didn't know the A-Rig was so good. Normally I can't catch squat but I'm gonna get me one of those A-rigs and win the Classic. KVD you better watch out!
bradAmo

Post by bradAmo »

Its not about the A Rig being so good. I know it can still be tough so can the minnow bite. It gives the average angler a better way to catch a huge sack. There is no other rig or lure that can catch what an A Rig can catch on any given day. As far as throwing it its fun on a non tourney day. Theres plenty of guys becoming over night guides because of this rig and its great for that purpose. For a tourney situation i think it needs to ba 1 lure!!!
bluegillmaniac657

Post by bluegillmaniac657 »

The A-rig definately helps the upcoming to average angler fish somewhere theyve never been or go somewhere where they dont catch much fish, Witnessing this myself at my home lakes wen i would see countless faces that ive never seen come out and pull quaility size fish with the rig, it was sad in a way because it didnt demonstarte any skill, Im a firm believer in one lure in tournaments, im not hating on anyone who does throw it, not saying i havent. BUt it would be nice to see the bass fishing world go back to the real fundamentals especially when it comes to tournaments.
DL

Post by DL »

While we're at it, ban graphite rods and make everyone fish with a 9 foot split bamboo rod with ss twisted rod guides and 14 lb mono and 2/0 eagle claw snelled hook with a 12" leader and a swivel.

Technological innovation is part of the game. Had Skeet thrown the A-rig in the classic, he would have won.... :wink:
"Feel the steel"
John Garcia

Post by John Garcia »

I say each tourney should only allow only one bait per boat and each boat has to use the same bait, line, rod, reel, etc. Then when you lose your bait, time to pack it in. Banjo Minnow time.
DL

Post by DL »

While I understand your argument and position, where would the "equipment/bait banning" end ? No graphs, no nets, no 80 mph boats, no vacation time to spend practicing because not everyone gets vacation time? or I cant afford a $9,000 HDS set up with side scan sonar with touch screen capabilities? Give it 6 more months and the A-rig will have run its course and be an afterthought...just like basstrix craze 4 years ago.
"Feel the steel"
mike at robo

Post by mike at robo »

I had a Honda civic and I NEVER got a thumbs up .........
CN

Post by CN »

Just a Bass fisherman but the only way to ban it would be an individuel decission by each Org. It's a legal contraption to use according to the DFG or whatever it's called now. Most Org's abide by those rules so good luck with your petition. I think it should be as some say find your own rock pile and try to win. This lure is an advantage anyone with a passion to fish for bass knows this I would assume but it is not the end all either. And don't forget it was a Pro that got this all started :wink:

Mike Nance
davet.

Post by davet. »

Is this Deja Vu? Didn't we just go thru this about a year ago? It's an annual thing I guess, until you figure out it's a pattern that plays out every time an innovative lure comes thru.
People catch 34 pound sacks every year and did so long before the A rig came along.
They'd be doing it on huds anyway, and then what would you say? Nothing.
Besides, if everyone can throw the same bait, doesn't that level the playing field.
If some dummy gets his a$$ handed to him by a newby throwing the rig, I guess the dummy should have made the "professional" decision to throw the rig also.
It's all about decisions based on experience.
I'm not about to go thru this chicken little the sky is falling every year, so get over it.
It was here last year and it will be here next year, so master the technique or shut the hell up. :D (it's not malicious if followed by a smiley face, check the rule books)
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!
biteme

Post by biteme »

I look at it like this. Everyone has a right to throw the thing. If your getting beat by it, pick one up. Its not like only a select few can use it, everyone can!
That said I cant catch chit on them things!lol
Last edited by biteme on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
FROGvsBASS

Post by FROGvsBASS »

Adapt or die!! :lol: :lol:
mike at robo

Post by mike at robo »

If I put rims on it that should do it ......yeaaaaahhhhhh ........
swimbait

Post by swimbait »

What's an Alabama Rig?
bradAmo

Post by bradAmo »

The A Rig is not an innovative lure, its a rig.If you just threw the rig by itself im pretty sure you woundnt catch anything. Im all for new innovative LURES coming out thats great for the sport and its one lure. Im not sure about your hudd predictions, im sure there would be a team catching 30+ but not 11 bags over 30# in one tourney. If that was the case for the hudd then why do i only see these flashy carousels getting tossed everywere. It sucks for the guys who really catch them without the rig because everyone assums if they see a big bag oh must of been the A Rig. This is bass fishing and it takes guts, dedication, knowledge, and know how to win any tourney. Now the work you put in with one lure most likely dont matter fall thru prespawn. Just sayin............
mike at robo

Post by mike at robo »

Alabama Rig...... 1/2 oz vodka,1/2 oz southern comfort, 1/2 oz amaretto, 1/2 oz sloe gin and some orange juice . That's what an Alabama Rig is . They only unfair thing I can see is that they put orange juice in it .
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

mike at robo wrote:Alabama Rig...... 1/2 oz vodka,1/2 oz southern comfort, 1/2 oz amaretto, 1/2 oz sloe gin and some orange juice . That's what an Alabama Rig is . They only unfair thing I can see is that they put orange juice in it .

HAH! :lol:
Eric Elshere

mike at robo

Post by mike at robo »

I've just been informed that I'm mistaken in my description of the Alabama Rig , the concoction I described is a Alabama Slammer . This information comes from a VERY reliable sorce here at the rubber worm factory . Sorry for the confusion .
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

mike at robo wrote:Alabama Rig...... 1/2 oz vodka,1/2 oz southern comfort, 1/2 oz amaretto, 1/2 oz sloe gin and some orange juice . That's what an Alabama Rig is . They only unfair thing I can see is that they put orange juice in it .

As anyone from the south knows it is not Orange juice ,it is 3 ozs. of Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur

As for the Alabama Rig. use it ,But if you are caught dragging (trolling) it . Off with the arm
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Dom

Post by Dom »

I agree "somewhat" I would like to see the a rig banned in tournaments, BASS has banned em so that must say somthing right there. My take on it is this how many of you have doubled or trippled up on a jig, spinnerbait, buzzbait,etc....? I think it does take some of the skill out of the compitition. I mean a guy has 2 fish in the box and 30 min to fish he slams 3 on one cast on the a-rig! How fair is that? Ok maybe its fair but heck I dont know it just dont seem right to me . And the skill involved in throwing the a-rig is no different then a spinnerbait tick the grass let it sink jerk it off the bottom etc..Again I dont know why it just dont seem right to hook 3 fish on one cast its kind of like using a net to me. And yes I have once in my whole life hooked 2 bass on a crankbait but its so rare and the fish were small.
Tight Lines Dom
Dynastyworms

Post by Dynastyworms »

Wow I can't believe this is even a thread. That's like Albert pojuls saying I would have hit a home run but I wanted to win by hitting a bunch of singles. If "your" so good a catching big bags on Arigs you would have. Velvick also killed the tourney throwing swim baits for the first time lets ban that also. C'mon what's next banning my side imaging? You guys need to spend more time fishing and less time starting petitions.
Garrettt

Post by Garrettt »

Worry about the state of the nation and our taxes not the Arig!??! holy ****
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Three hooked baits is legal in CA.
When I hear that everyone is pulling in three fish on every cast on the A-rig, I'll worry about whether it should be banned, not because of competition, but because it will rape the fisheries.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
dwise

Post by dwise »

I believe that it is up to each individual tournament organization and clubs to either allow or not allow the rig in their tournaments. To force ALL organizations to ban the rig is an infringement upon their freedom/rights to make their own rules. If the DFG/DFW says it is legal to use these multi-bait/hook rigs, then it should be the decision of each org or club to decide.

If you do not want to fish the rig, then don't. But don't try to keep others from fishing what ever rigs they want to fish (as long as it is legal) just because you refuse to fish the same rigs.

Personally, I have thrown the rig, and not caught anything on it. But I am not afraid of others in the tournament catching multiple fish to my one. It is my choice to fish one or three baits at a time, and I like having choices!
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

Let people fish it if they want. I personally threw it for 6 hours at Clear Lake and didn't catch A thing on it. Brought out the old trusty crank bait and BANG BANG BANG!!!!! just like any other bait out there you have to know how and where and when to throw it.

I vote KEEP IT but I probably won't use it again,

Terry
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
frank

Post by frank »

I will sign the petition to ban A-rigs on one condition. If we also ban one lake wonders and force them to fish tournaments on multiple bodies of water and make bodies of water off limits prior to tournaments. The original poster said “BUT I would definitely raise the 1st gentleman's hand that said I caught my fish at a rockpile near a point that no one knows about and had 18lbs”. Chances are that guy is a local that has never left his home lake and has been winning money without stepping up and going to other lakes. He probably hits that “Secret Rockpile” every tournament. Is that skill or time on the water? Since when is having a spot skill? Chances are all it means is you have better electronics and more time on the water.

The A-rig does one thing, it levels the playing field. The same guys I see passing petitions around to ban the A-rig have the best of the best electronics, boats, baits not available to the general public, and the ability to fish 5 days a week. Now that they have guys that can compete using the rig they want it banned. Their advantages no longer make them look like better fishermen. Is it skill to fish 5 days week prior to an event and beat a guy with one or no days of practice. If we start a post about off limits prior to events most of the same guys that want to ban the A-rig will not want their pre fish advantage taken away.

And for people to raise their nose to multiple baits on one line let me clue you into a secret, it is not a new philosophy. Double fluke rigs, double dropshots, a front runner above your spook, a dropshot with a jig as the weight, spreaders. I have regularly caught two fish on many of those rigs.

Those who tinker with baits and have the ability to understand and maximize their time on the water will rise to the top. Gauge wire, spacing, baits, # of baits, head weights, are all huge factors. I have learned a ton since I started making my own rigs. I will put my money up any day and fish my rigs against anyone that has one out of the package from any manufacture. Many of us saw this coming from a long way off and we adapted to move up in the standings.

When all is said and done I would say the advent of flipping, thanks Mr. Thomas, had more of an influence on the size of tournament sacks year around than the A-rig ever will. Did people try to ban flipping when Dee Thomas started whipping them on the delta? Oh, Wait, they did and that is why we have 8’ max rod lengths in most tournament circuits.

I did it without the A-rig and won, now I am doing it with it. Adapt or cry about it, your choice.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Is it not easier? Has there always been 10 teams showing up with over 30 lb sacks each? :?
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

I don't think Frank could have put it better! :D

I love to quote the UFC fighter Nick Diaz " you scared homie?"
Eric Elshere

bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

Otay Michael wrote:Is it not easier? Has there always been 10 teams showing up with over 30 lb sacks each? :?
Right! I have seen the pros just burning bank with it. Looked easy to me. HAHA! I havent use it yet but you guys have fun!
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
whazup

Post by whazup »

Guess it depends on what it is about bass fishing that lights your fire. For me, the fun is in the "hunt". The ultimate in bass fishing is to recognize a likely looking spot, make a perfect cast to the spot, and feeling that wonderful tug on my line. To me the A rig is just a "chuck and wind" bait. I would rather catch a 2 pounder on a purposeful cast, than a 5 on a random toss. But then, I don't fish for money. I fish because I love it.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
kitjack

Post by kitjack »

Your link is to a petition that made the rounds in 2011. I don't think anyone will be counting these votes.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Frank made the best post so far. He hit on some of the problems of our sport. As far as the A-Rig goes...it did make tournament fishermen out of some guys that were not very good in the past. I don't care one way or the other. I'm a chuck and wind guy and love the bait....but the jerkbait still catches them good too. I do think the A-Rig has cost us numbers in events...BUT, One lake wonders, no off-limits periods, not having to sign up prior to practice days, too many lake regions, declining sponsor support, and a few other things are hurting our sport more than A-Rigs.
AndrewMartinBass

Post by AndrewMartinBass »

Gary Dobyns wrote:Frank made the best post so far. He hit on some of the problems of our sport. As far as the A-Rig goes...it did make tournament fishermen out of some guys that were not very good in the past. I don't care one way or the other. I'm a chuck and wind guy and love the bait....but the jerkbait still catches them good too. I do think the A-Rig has cost us numbers in events...BUT, One lake wonders, no off-limits periods, not having to sign up prior to practice days, too many lake regions, declining sponsor support, and a few other things are hurting our sport more than A-Rigs.
I think Gary nailed it! There are so many other issues in tournament fishing that are hurting the sport. Last year it was legal on the FLW Tour. Only at Beaver Lake did it play a major factor. A skilled fisherman will know when to throw it and when to put it down. It's been killing it on Clear Lake the last couple years. Next year...might not be a factor. Personally, I think we should have a length requirement on lures. No more 16 inch swimbaits!! Mostly cause I've never had any success throwing them.
ANDREW SCHADEGG
Managing Editor - http://www.fishhound.com
g-man

Post by g-man »

biteme wrote:I look at it like this. Everyone has a right to throw the thing. If your getting beat by it, pick one up. Its not like only a select few can use it, everyone can!
That said I cant catch chit on them things!lol
True Dat!

I've tossed that POS like 5000 times and only caught a dozen or so fish! :lol: I love it, its fun to toss and just another way to catch em.
100% LL
jazzwannabe

Post by jazzwannabe »

I have been beaten by guys throwing rigs four or five times in the last two years. Never thrown one, but I should — that's on me. It wouldn't be fair to take that tool away from the guys who are willing to use it.
Golden Empire Bass Club
george

Post by george »

Bottom line is: Tournament fish caught on the A-Rig are all put back in the same lake just like any other catch and release event. It does not desimate the fishery in anyway and there is no evidence of a higher mortality rate amongst A-Rig caught fish.

My thoughts are you had better learn how to throw them or stop fishing tournaments when others are.

And just a thought: One could almost bet that even though the few guys that are winning and saying "A-Rig all day" are probably not throwing the A-Rig all day, I know you can catch huge bags at Clear Lake on jigs, swimbaits or blades! The A-Rig is just another tool that used at the right place and right time can load the boat!

By next year or the year after we will be talking up something else that is winning event after event!