Fish Handling

TonyM

Fish Handling

Post by TonyM »

First of all, I'm not a treehugger. I enjoy hunting and have no problem harvesting animals for consumption. Like most of you, I normally do my best to release bass alive. It was always my understanding that removing the mucous or "slime" coating on a fish through excessive handling allows infection to set in. The limited research I've done supports the fact that removing the "slime" coat is harmful to fish. That being said, I don't understand why some fisherman have gotten into the habit of swinging bass they intend to release into the boat and letting them flop around on the carpet. These fish normally swim off fine, but I wonder if some of them die later from delayed mortality. There is a TV program (I want to say Major League Bass Fishing or something like that) where anglers are penalized for letting their fish touch the carpet.

Can anyone give a good argument for intentionallly letting bass they intend to release flop around on the carpet?
Zak Elrite

Re: Fish Handling

Post by Zak Elrite »

I'm not positive but I believe you're referring to trout and their "slime" coating. I believe bass are not affected the same way but someone may chime in here and correct me. We(I) also use additives to the livewell to help sooth the fish and ensure better fish handling and decrease mortality rates.
[b]Zak Elrite[/b]
Bagel Bar, Mercury Marine, Lowrance, Coyote Bait & Tackle, Ben Green Insurance, G-Funk Baits, Keitech, Spearpoint Hooks, Dobyns Rods, Lews Reels, Bucknbass
milehi

Post by milehi »

Glad someone finally brought this up as it's been bugging me forever. I'm pretty sure when BASS introduced the no net rule way back when it was to protect the slime coat, which bass have the same as every other fish. To watch these guys slam fish onto the consuls, let them flop around the carpet while they do theyre fist pumps, screams or whatever makes me ill. I'm not anti tourament in any way, but BASS telling us they had 100% survival at the classic after driving 90 minutes to the weigh in, come on, some of those bags on the scale sure didn't move much.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

great question .
The "slime" on a fish is like a protective coating . It keeps the fish from getting an infection thru the
skin surface. It is not just a problem for trout . The more slime that gets removed from any fish , the more likely they can sucumb to injuries , disease , infections etc...over time.
On a guided trip to Montana fishing the Madison River , the guide (part biologist, fisherman) said the "acid" from peoples hands significantly removes the slim and threatens the fish . The trout guys make a big deal out of "wetting" thier hands to keep the acid off the fish .Most of the time , these trout guides do even like to remove the fish from the water or touch it at all.
Either way , more handling , more nets ,more livewells etc... , less likely the fish will survive .
Can't wait for the tourney guys to start responding to this one .
Robb
dwise

Post by dwise »

Livewell treatments such as Rejuvenade, and Sure-Life Catch and Release, calms the fish and helps regenerate the slime coat. I use it year-round, not just in summer.

I clean my livewell after every trip using a disinfectant to kill bacteria so as not to spread it to other fish. Plus I hate the odor of my livewell after a tournament.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
mrobinett

Post by mrobinett »

One thing I noticed while watching Major League Fishing, the rule of fish not being able to touch the carpet I thought was a good idea. But after watching the show, the way they swing the fish in and bear hug it, I thought that looks worse for the fish than just landing on the carpet. With their jackets or sweathirts on, the fish is completely wrapped in their clothing. That looks worse for the fish's slime coat than just landing on the carpet. This isn't a complaint in any way, just an observation.
jimmyG

Post by jimmyG »

I think in general most fish are resilient and recover from their handling and reproduce or replenish the slime coating. I have seen bass with predator marks and the skin tore open and their still swimming around out there. Fisherman all over the world are practicing catch & release in the ocean, rivers, lakes and streams for the preservation of fishing for future generations to come. Most fishing tournaments are regulated and monitored by DFG and as previously mentioned, most fisherman are using a livewell additive to help the fish recuperate. So let me ask you a question, do you think DFG biologist would let us practice cath & release fishing if it was harmful to the fish? Do you think there would stricter regs for handling of fish to be released? My thoughts only. By the way, the net is wet.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

I am not sure that the DFG has a clue on anything involving real work.
30 years ago they used to be involved in activity that would support better fisheries and habitat.
Now , they look for pot growers , illegals , and people without a liscense. Do you really think they
have done some type of study on catch and release for bass ????? Not a chance .
As for the wetting of a net . No positive effect for ther fish .
Lip it , release quick and easy ---protect the bass for next time .
It's the only way you get 10lber's.
Robb
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

I agree that more care needs to be taken when handling fish. Example: Many people that I fish with/talk to, have no idea that there is a trick to getting a 'gutted' hook out of a bass with a pretty simple method---and is especially helpful for those who throw senkos a lot and may not feel a fish bite before it swallows their lure. Link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGTL9RBG2s

There are two things that REALLY get to me about fish care that I see often:

1. Lipping a 10+ lb fish with only one hand and NOT supporting the fishes body---ESPECIALLY AT SPAWN TIME. You may think you look cool holding out that giant with one hand while breaking it's jaw....buuuuut you don't. It's great you caught a nice fish, but you've most likely irrepairably busted that fishes jaw by not supporting her fat belly. Congrats.

2. Care needs to be taken for ALL sizes of bass, not just big ones. Bass don't hatch and turn into 8 lbers. It takes them a while to grow...So that 1 lb fish that you just flipped onto the deck of your boat and kicked back into the water may have been on it's way to becomming that trophy bass---that nobody will ever be able to catch because of your actions when it was an "unimportant" dink.

We all could use a little bit of a reminder regarding fish care, including myself. Thanks for bringing it up!

Andrew Lippert
Urban

Post by Urban »

[quote="jimmyG"]So let me ask you a question, do you think DFG biologist would let us practice cath & release fishing if it was harmful to the fish?[/quote]

:lol: Oh my.
Kwin

Post by Kwin »

I'm sorry you feel that wat Robb R. I for one, am wrapping up a barotrauma related tournament mortality study in So Cal destined for publication. I just dumped 6.5 tons of Christmas trees destined for the landfills into 2 waters in SoCal freeing up landfill space and providing fish habitat. I have ongoing creel surveys on multiple waters, am conducting population estimates and general fish surveys on multiple waters and have had a trout tagging study for the past 4 years. If you would like to, I'll make room on my shock boat for you to attempt to collect bass for our studies. We routinely get over 100 fish an hour and it's not "play time" when I'm out there, I'm there to work, quickly, efficiently and with high precision. We do what we can with what limited resources/time we have. Feel free to message me if you want to take me up on my offer and I will put you to work.

As far as fish handling goes and their slime coat. All fish have a slime coat with antigens to protect from infections and to reduce friction in the water. The less the slime coat is removed/rubbed off the better.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Kwin,
Awesome that you are doing those things , and honestly , more DFG people should be doing what you do and spend less time worried about pot growers , illegals and the such .
I live in Norcal so it would be difficult to go on the boat with you , otherwise , I would do it for sure . If you come to a Norcal lake , PM me and I will make the arrangements .
I wish the DFG people up here would work with bass groups , bass clubs etc... to do exactly what you describe . I used to see them do fish "shocks " in local lakes , but that was 25 years ago , I have never seen that lately.
Who are the people up here that a bass club or group could work with ?
Robb
g-man

Post by g-man »

I'm not a fish but i would have to assume slamming a hook in its mouth or even through its face has gotta hurt more then swinging them on the carpet! I'd rather be dropped on the cement then have a hook the size of my fist pulling my face around. JS :D
100% LL
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

Like I said-I hunt. I also fish tournaments. I use livewell additives too. My point was this-with other options for landing and handing fish, why would someone swing em and let em flop around on the carpet while they brake dance, etc? Though catch and release is allowed and even encouraged in most bodies of water, I'm curious if a biologist would recommend wiping em around on the carpet before the release. Just seems stupid to me.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Andy Lippert wrote:1. Lipping a 10+ lb fish with only one hand and NOT supporting the fishes body---ESPECIALLY AT SPAWN TIME. You may think you look cool holding out that giant with one hand while breaking it's jaw....buuuuut you don't. It's great you caught a nice fish, but you've most likely irrepairably busted that fishes jaw by not supporting her fat belly. Congrats.
^^^^
THIS

I really hate seeing the big girls held up by their jaw alone... there have been several discussions over the years about distending the jaw, and I always think about how it would be if one of us was held in such a manner... I suspect a dislocated jaw would result.
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Kwin wrote:If you would like to, I'll make room on my shock boat for you to attempt to collect bass for our studies. We routinely get over 100 fish an hour and it's not "play time" when I'm out there, I'm there to work, quickly, efficiently and with high precision. We do what we can with what limited resources/time we have. Feel free to message me if you want to take me up on my offer and I will put you to work.
I can personally attest that he will put you to work, and that there will be NO SLACKING!

Great opportunity to contribute and learn... I wish I was still down there to help out.
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
g-man

Post by g-man »

TonyM wrote:Like I said-I hunt. I also fish tournaments. I use livewell additives too. My point was this-with other options for landing and handing fish, why would someone swing em and let em flop around on the carpet while they brake dance, etc? Though catch and release is allowed and even encouraged in most bodies of water, I'm curious if a biologist would recommend wiping em around on the carpet before the release. Just seems stupid to me.
Some Tournaments don't allow nets so swinging them in the boat is a quick and easy way to secure your catch. I'm not saying its right, or that its not right for that matter. The best thing you can do is teach yourself and others to try to take the best care of your/their fish. As far as break dancing on the deck the only person I know that does that is Ike and it cracks me up every time! :lol:
100% LL
g-man

Post by g-man »

100% LL