Installation advice 798ci SI HD

Moderators: Triton Mike, Doug Vahrenberg

M3AN Bass

Installation advice 798ci SI HD

Post by M3AN Bass »

Hello all,
I recieved the first of my two humminbird units and it looks awesome. The 798 will go on the bow of my Stratos 176 XT with a trolling motor mounted transducer. I was surprised by the lack of in depth instructional videos or even tutorials with pictures available on the topic. So as this is my first boat and first fish finder install I will be attempting I have some questions about the installation. I have plenty of tools and am pretty handy, I worked construction on and off for close to 7 years, however my experience with electrical work is limited.

After reading the instructions it seems pretty straight forward. I was planning on doing an inline fuse because it seems simpler. Is this correct? So after deciding where the unit goes and mounting it, I just run the transducer wire down the trolling motor and mount the transducer. Then is it as easy as running the power wires back to the battery after crimping an inline fuse in place?

It sees pretty simple and as long as I put the inline fuse in I shouldn't really be running any risk of frying the unit, right? Is it as simple as I think it is, or should I seek professional help for installation? Any advice or tips greatly appreciated.

Tightlines,
Philip
Doug Vahrenberg

Re: Installation advice 798ci SI HD

Post by Doug Vahrenberg »

I have several install tips video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFBA73CD339FC6B95
----

1) Always run direct to the battery (humminbird Recommended). Utilizing existing boat wiring harness can underpower the electronics. Not all boats are wired the same and wire gauge, connections and circuit protection may limit proper current flow to the unit.

2) If you need to extend the wire use smaller gauge wire (Bigger thickness) for the longer you need to extend. 18 Gauge is minimum gauge but I prefer 14-16 gauge to provide ample capacity for years of trouble free service.

Check out this Voltage Drop Calculator: http://www.altronix.com/app_notes/calc.php

Choosing 14ga over 18 ga in a 20' Span reduces voltage drop approximately 2/3rds. That is why wire size and resistance free, corrosion free wire is important.

3) A 3 Amp Fuse is recommended. I prefer Blade Type Automotive Fuses over Glass Bulb Fuses as they don't lose contact as easy. THe Spring Loaded Fuse Holders in Glass Bulb Fuses can disconnect in rough water shutting down the flow of electricity to the unit.

Blade Style Fuse:

Blade Style Fuse Holder: (Available at Auto Parts Stores):

4) All connections should be soldered. Using Butt Connector Splices is asking for trouble down the road. Easier for corrosion to enter connection. Improper splice can reduce electrical flow. Connections can vibrate and loosen wires in connector. Or Over crimping can damage wires. Solder Connection creates a better connection. All Connections should be heat shrink to reduce cane of corrosion from water or mositure intrusion.

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson