Casting distance & finesse/light lures theory...???

Chue Chang

Casting distance & finesse/light lures theory...???

Post by Chue Chang »

The other day I went out fishing at a local urban pond that I frequent a lot. There is a water inlet/fountain/rock pile that is right smack in the middle of this pond. This is the only structure/feature on this pond. My average casts with 1/4 oz jig/beaver trailer and 12 lb test on a baitcaster...were within 3-4 feet of this feature from this "particular" spot on the bank.

Hour later...I saw 2 guys throwing jigs and t-rigs from the exact same "particular" spot and they were casting past the feature 3-4 feet. 20 mins later...wham...one guy hooks up and than 10 mins later...he hooks up again. It got me thinking really quick. Not only are they getting longer casts than me...BUT they also are doing it with LIGHTER/FINESSE jigs/t-rigs.

I can't tell you exactly the weight for sure but they looked like 1/4 oz or lighter. I went over to talk to one of the guys and looked at their tackle. The rods were phenix...probably 7' and longer and reels were Curado/chronarch. I took a peek at the line also and although I didn't ask...I know for sure it could of been 6-8 lb test.

I have not been bass fishing that long and I still have a lot to learn and figure out. But...one thing I do know for a fact is...most or all of bass fishing techniques/lures/styles is PROGRESSING more and more towards FINESSE. Small baits and Small line to catch pressured fish.

I started to really like how those 2 guys were fishing and I really wanted to do what they were doing. And thats...casting light line/lures as far as you can for pressured bass.

So...please help me: Should I look at this scenario as...
1. I should/can fish their style/technique too and catch fish where ever I deem it to be necessary.
2. Stick with your guns and fish the techniques and ways you like to fish.

And if I do want to start fishing more finesse style...How do I achieve longer casts with lighter/finesse lures?

1. reel upgrade?
2. Bearing upgrade?
3. Spool upgrade?
4. Longer rods?
5. How light of a line can I go on a baitcaster for finesse?

Right now I am using Daiwa zillions but after this experience...the Daiwa Pixy and Daiwa Steez is looking very affordable (although my wallet and bank account is saying "hell no!").

Any input/comment is greatly appreciated and thanks for the help guys.
Caveman

Re: Casting distance & finesse/light lures theory...???

Post by Caveman »

For light line finesse applications, you really should consider spinning gear. You will get better distance and accuracy on your casts and won't have to worry about the birds nests that can occur with the bait caster (especially with light weight baits). Also, the lighter the line you can comfortably use, the better. Just my $0.02!
Caveman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Image Image
MT

Post by MT »

It's your trailer actually. Your equipment is fine assuming its well maintained. That bulky trailer on a light jig actually has alot of wind resistance. I throw 1/4oz footballs alot and I can even tell the difference between a double and single tail grup in the air. The single tail flies farther obviously because there is one less tail grabbing air.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Actually, as you saw for yourself. The correct bait casting outfits will throw finesse rigs just fine, spinning gear is not necessary. However, I would be willing to bet that these gentlemen had reels which were tuned at minimum. Tuning a bait caster can make all the difference in doing exactly what you have referenced. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Judging from your prior rod inquiry regarding jig/T-prig rod, you are using Irods in both 4 and 5 power with Diawa Zillion reels.
The first thing you need to consider is a 1/4 oz jig on 12 lbs FC line using a 4 power 7'3" rod isn't ideal for casting distance, it's over powered. I would estimate the max casting distance would be about 90' or 30 yards. If you used a 3 power rod, same length and 8 lb small diameter FC with the 1/4 oz jig, your distance would increase about 30' or 40 yards.
Using the same 4 power rod, you can simply add a 3/16-1/4 oz tungsten bullet weight (like a T-rig) to your 1/4 jig and double the weight, still have the small profile size jig etc. Change the line to 8 lb FC and increase your casting distance 30' or casting distance of 40 yards.
It's all about having enough weight to properly load up the rod to achieve maximum casting distance. The higher the rod power it takes more weight to load the rod.
Custom rods can be made in 1/2 powers increments; 3 1/2 power, 7'3"" fast action jig/worm rod with Kigan micro giudes, scrimless light weight blank with the guides places for maximum casting distance.
My jigs rods are 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 power, 6' 10" set up to cast 7/16 to 5/8 oz jigs 50 yards under fishing conditions, using up to 14 lb FC.
Next time you ask another angler how they cast that far, be up front instead of snooping at their tackle, most anglers will share info.
In regards to reel performance the upgrade #5 or 7 bearings will help, if the reel is properly super tuned, these are high end upgrades that improve casting consistency and a little distance.
Tom
PS; go to a football field and cast using the yard lines to determine how far you can cast whatever you are using.
Chue Chang

Post by Chue Chang »

Thanks for the input guys. I figured they had supertuned baitcasters. Also...I have noticed that when I have a bait that is more streamlined or smaller in profile regardless of weight (senko)...it will have less wind drag and I get a little more distance compared to a bulky bait.

I will probably supertune my zillion if it means catching more fish and who does not want that.

The only thing I know of to improve my zillions casting with lighter lures is a bearing and spool upgrade. Is there anything else i can do?

I also read somewhere that you can Polish/sand the spool shaft ends and the pinion gear? Should I do this also or is the bearing upgrade really all thats needed.

Thanks.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Chue Chang wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I figured they had supertuned baitcasters. Also...I have noticed that when I have a bait that is more streamlined or smaller in profile regardless of weight (senko)...it will have less wind drag and I get a little more distance compared to a bulky bait.

I will probably supertune my zillion if it means catching more fish and who does not want that.

The only thing I know of to improve my zillions casting with lighter lures is a bearing and spool upgrade. Is there anything else i can do?

I also read somewhere that you can Polish/sand the spool shaft ends and the pinion gear? Should I do this also or is the bearing upgrade really all thats needed.

Thanks.
You have completely over looked the line drag; it's line drag going through the guides that slows down the lure initially, then lure aerodynamic later in the cast that slows the lure mid air. 8 lb line is 50% smaller diameter than 12 lb line, big difference in casting a light weight lure.
I wouldn't try super running the Daiwa reel myself, look into a local reel technician.
A line dressing like TangleFree will also help casting distance.
Do the simple things first.
Tom
Chue Chang

Post by Chue Chang »

8 LB line for jigs and 3-4 LB BASS.....Man....that sounds SCARY!!! LOL ;)

Thats just asking for a line break off right at the initial hookset. Haha...I like to WACK EM' as hard & fast as I can. The only time i do a soft hookset is with a dropshot, crank baits and jerkbaits. Other than that...I am trying to put the HURT ON EM'...hehe =)

If I do decide to go with lighter lines for my jigs and texas rigs...I will definitely have to go buy a new rod that will not break 8-10 LB FC. I feel most confident in 12 lb FC right now. I have broken 12 LB test FC before on a jig fish with a hard hookset (Berkely Trilene 100% FC...have not used it ever since and moved on to others...seaguar, Pline & Vicious). I really want to try SUNLINE. I use their mono and it is AMAZING. Their FC gets RAVE reviews and there is no doubt in my mind that they would/could be the #1 FC on the market. (SEAGUAR really close too though).

If you can suggest to me a STRONG 8 LB FC...haha I am warning you, I do have an aggressive hooksetting style...than I will definitely give 8-10 LB FC a try for my jigs and t-rigs if it means longer casts with lighter lures and more bites/fish. If I break it...than I will bump back up to 12. If you are suggesting SUNLINE or SEAGUAR than I will definitely take you up on the challenge. I wanna see if I can break 8-10 LB SUNLINE/SEAGUAR on some jig fish.

Thanks.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Learn to reel set and rod sweep when casting jigs over 60 '
I have caught 100's of DD bassin jigs using 10 lb mono line, 5 over 17 lbs,...not inches!
You wackem, I prefer to catch them.
Good luck.
Tom
PS; rarely fish jigs from shore, I am fishing from a boat!
Try a slip shot rig (finesse C-rig) painted Pro-Jo 3/8-1/2 oz sinker, pegged glass bead, 3/0 hook and twin tail Yamamoto Hula grub,18" - 24" leader length. Good shore rig, looks like a jig, doesn't hang up as easily and you can use 12lb line!