Tahoe Smallmouth

robertthornton

Tahoe Smallmouth

Post by robertthornton »

Has anyone fished for smallmouth in lake Tahoe. I was driving along the lake the other day and noticed a bass boat out there that looked to be drop shooting. I have herd there are smallmouth in there but did not know if there were enough to target.
VJ

Re: Tahoe Smallmouth

Post by VJ »

Not sure about the small mouth but about 2 months ago saw news story about there being largemouth out there and dfg going around and electrocuting coves trying to get rid of them. Also i know they gave out there first commercial fishing license last year for crawdads so bass definitely have enough food.
Nutechlures.com
RB BASS FISHING
trophybaits.com
genesistinting.com
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

Tahoe keys has lots of largemouth in it, don't know about the smallmouth
Lake

Post by Lake »

Headed to tahoe next week with the family for some R&R. Was thinking of bringing a couple spinning rods for the son and I. Anyone know anywhere we can catch fish from shore. Can even be trout and doesnt have to be lake tahoe. Any of the nearby lakes would be fine. Just something for us to kill some time
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

Fished Tahoe last week for macs and the guide I fished with said the rainbows chow the abundant craws in the shallows and also mentioned they are trying to eradicate the bass from the keys. Good luck with that, there are also plans to try and get rid of the pelagic macs and restore the cutthroat that were decimated by commercial fishing back in the day. Maybe they can get rid of the stripers in DVL while they are at it. :) I did a little side trip to Prosser and fished the bank for some tiny smallies and a couple of trout, only one boat on the lake and the guy was pounding it with a crank, maybe he got some good ones? If I lived there I would hope the bass took hold (sorry Tahoe locals... the macs fight like a dirty diaper but they do taste a lot better), sounds like the bass are on their way to establishing themselves. Really nice place to spend a week off work in the summer. BTW, if you want to fish the north shore with a guide, I fished with Captain Chris, super cool guy, good stick who will put you on fish. http://www.tahoefishingcharters.com/ :D
bdyer

Post by bdyer »

Found an article about this a few months ago. I always knew there were largemouth in the Tahoe Keys but that it was too cold and too high of elevation for them to really flourish on the main lake.

Smallmouth are a little bit of a different story. With the large amount of crawdads in there, I could see smallmouth doing really well in Tahoe.

I had a dream a few weeks ago that I was fishing an FLW Everstart there and it had become a world class smallmouth fishery. How awesome would that be!!!

http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/L ... 335050.php
robertthornton

Post by robertthornton »

bdyer wrote:Found an article about this a few months ago. I always knew there were largemouth in the Tahoe Keys but that it was too cold and too high of elevation for them to really flourish on the main lake.

Smallmouth are a little bit of a different story. With the large amount of crawdads in there, I could see smallmouth doing really well in Tahoe.

I had a dream a few weeks ago that I was fishing an FLW Everstart there and it had become a world class smallmouth fishery. How awesome would that be!!!

http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/L ... 335050.php
I was thinking the same thing. It would be awesome. I think we should start project Smallmouth. The lake just looks like it should have them.
fishfan

Post by fishfan »

I would be curious to know how that's going for the DFG :lol: I was there maybe 6-7 years ago and I can say YES there were largemouth in the keys. Caught them from shore with my son. A few up to 3 lbs. saw som bigger fish too. They must be giants by now 8)
I now know why it is called fishing and not catching!
The Sweetest Rods Ever !!! DOBYNS RODS
Team LL
scott h

Post by scott h »

There's been largemouth in the keys for 20+ years, caught them from my aunts dock when I was up there visiting on summer break.saw some good ones back then I imagine there probably some 5s in there or were, I have never been back.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Larry Hemphill

7 lb largemouth?

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I saw a newspaper report last year or the year before - talking about an angler that had caught two 7 lb largemouth in the keys. I think it was a reliable report - but not positive. I did see some sunfish or bluegills in the keys a few year ago, along with a smallmouth. Amazing!
GW

Post by GW »

I fish the keys from kayaks and catch quality largemouth......there have been numerous reports of smallmouth caught along the western shore and I have tried to find someone who has personally caught one but have yet to do so. I have never targeted smallmouth yet but its on my list of things to do before summer is over up here. I have spent hours snorkeling all around the lake and while there are crawdads everywhere I have not even seen a fish more than maybe 4 inches long and this was some sort of minnow.
The Keep Tahoe Blue wackos are always promoting removing all the weeds, bass, bluegill etc. from the lake and they even get DFG to shock and remove the largemouth from the keys every year. I am not sure how that shock boat works but I dont think they will get them all, but they do get a lot of them.
IF you have a kayak and are thinking about it there are only a couple safe spots to drop in within the keys otherwise you will need to paddle in from the main lake. If someone out there has a place in the keys lets talk...I have kayaks.....
mrbassin0614

Post by mrbassin0614 »

Really they are doing this to keep it clear? bologna! If thats they case then why is havasu so clear and bull shoals, I spend every summer on Bull Shoals and you talk about a clear lake. If you ask me, they are just like the damn politicians writing gun laws, they are ignorant people talking about **** they have no clue about. Just like here on the delta trying to say that striper and bass is hurting the salmon population, Nope!!!!!!!
mrbassin0614

Post by mrbassin0614 »

I Probably wouldn't even fish Tahoe maybe one time in my life that I now know there is largemouth but Im all up for protecting these fish there.
scott h

Post by scott h »

I'm thinking bout towing the boat up there and give it a shot, it would be a nice way to spend a weekend.......
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Dek

Post by Dek »

My buddy took his family boat up there for a week. I believe he told me with inspection and launch fee it was well over $100 to splash the boat! Fine for a week, tough for a day!
semipro

Post by semipro »

One very important issue with launching your boat in Tahoe ... 4 Stroke Only! Doesn't matter how many stars your motor has, if it's not 4 stroke, no launch.
Steve Marino
(209) 918-1639

http://www.ownerhooks.com
http://www.yakimabait.com
http://www.vicious-fishing.com/
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

Actually some two stroke direct injects are allowed even though the locals don't think so. I just carry a copy of this page. It is the approved engines list. My Mercury Optimax is approved.
http://www.trpa.org/default.aspx?tabid=349
Jason Borofka

Post by Jason Borofka »

I looked in to this last year and thought about taking a trip up there, and as far as I know my new optimax is ok to launch on Tahoe i was told some of the lancing facility's are not up to date on the new emission regs so give them a call before you go here is the number for the Tahoe regional planning Association 775-588-4547. I had called around and spoke with allot of people about bass fising in Tahoe and it sounds like they don't want bass or bass boats running the lake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBcLyHBIZ3k
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Jason Borofka wrote:I had called around and spoke with allot of people about bass fising in Tahoe and it sounds like they don't want bass or bass boats running the lake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBcLyHBIZ3k
A bunch of bass boats in Tahoe would be a funny sight and would give the snooty folks coniptions. :D What did they expect when they let developers build a shallow water project with lots of man made structure like the keys? Of course the weeds and largemouth are going to appear (via bucket biology) and eventually become permanently established. Doh!
kraetzer

Post by kraetzer »

Almost calls for a nutcase rally/weekend!?!
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

geharnist123

Post by geharnist123 »

Hey guys, I live in Sparks, Nv and also was very interested in the news about the keys containing largemouth. I tournament fish in california but would love to find quality bass closer than Berryessa and Clearlake when I am not tournament fishing. I have called local bait shops this week and found out the water temp is in the low to mid 50's right now around the keys. I will be heading up there Friday, May 2, 2014 with my float tube and swimbaits (i might bring a senko just in case). I will try to post my findings later that day. Anyone interested in joining me? I am going to sneek in by the marina due to parking availability.
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

Post a report, hope you whack them! Beautiful place, bass would only make it better... ;)