Salmon in the deadend sloughs

Hitman

Salmon in the deadend sloughs

Post by Hitman »

Anyone ever see schools of salmon in the dead end sloughs? I have ran into them now for 2 weeks in a row. Puzzled as to what they are doing there...they have turned color so they appear to have been in the system for some time already. These are not small bucks either...one went over 35lbs. Its been a fun surprise but i'm curious to know if anyone has encountered this before and what might be the reason...I filet one and its stomach was completely empty so they aren't in there feeding.

Hitman
Hitman

Fish Hard Films
Burke

Re: Salmon in the deadend sloughs

Post by Burke »

Hitman,

When the salmon move into the fresh water for spawning, they will not eat at all. The only reason salmon will hit lures when you are tossing/jigging them in their general area is that you piss them off so they will strike out at the lure.

I've run into schools of salmon in dead end sloughs too. Didn't know why they were there either. Years ago, we ran into a school of salmon that stayed in the dead end slough for 2 days. For those 2 days, 3 of us probably caught and released 60+ salmon. Their colors were still silver so we knew it was a fresh run. We only boated those that looked like they weighed over 15 lbs. We kept 6 salmon for smoking that had a total weight around 120 lbs. We lost some big ones too. It was fun catching and releasing them, but we were tired at the end of each day.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

A lot of times they get diverted from the Sacramento into the Mokelumne via the Delta Cross Channel Gates at Walnut Grove. I think the state closed the gates last week to prevent this and to also keep more water flowing down the Sacramento to aid salmon migration.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Yeah interesting...went out today and they are still there. They are not chromies....all of them are dark or red in color. Lots of fun thought!!! these are just off the SJ river. That's 3 weeks now in that one slough....

Hitman
Hitman

Fish Hard Films