Warning -- Stay away from Oakley fishing specific sunglasses

Warning -- Stay away from Oakley fishing specific sunglasses

Post by Guest »

Guys,

Sorry to do this but I have to share my horrible experience with the rest of the fishing community. Like most of you know Oakley has a number of fishing specific sunglasses on the market with different types of removable lenses. The model that I was most interested in that (a) has removable lenses and (b) have both the shallow blue and deep blue lens is the Monster Dog.

When I contacted Oakley customer service today to buy a pair of replacement lenses in these colors they flat out refused to sell them to and stated that the only way you can get these lenses if you send in your old pair, pay $80 and they will replace them for you.

Even after I tried to explain how we as fisherman often swap out different lenses based on conditions and that I already have a primary and secondary pair of lenses in my Monster Dog's I just wanted to add the Shallow Blue and Deep Blue to my already useful eye wear arsenal. For some reason they chose this specific model to basically stick it to us fisherman for any replacements whereas any of the other polarized lenses you can swap out at just about any Oakley store in your area. It wasn't that they don't have the lenses it was "their company policy that the only way you can obtain those lenses to through their warranty department."

Take note guys... If you're looking for a new pair of sunglasses STAY AWAY FROM OAKLEY. Sure Kevin Van Damn swears by them but their Customer Service department just doesn't seem to get it. To me it just seems like they don't value our business and are unwilling to accommodate the needs of a typical fisherman. This is definitely the last pair of Oakley's that I will buy and with fishing I seem to go through at least 1 pair a year.

Anyone have any suggestions as to a suitable polarized replacement for the following conditions other than Oakley:

a. Sight fishing
b. Bright/high intensity sunlight with clear to stained water
c. Overcast conditions wtih clear to stained water

Thanks.
DeltaDan

Re: Warning -- Stay away from Oakley fishing specific sungla

Post by DeltaDan »

Maui Jims in the HCL is all that I have worn since they first came out (They were glass lenses back then).

-- And I highly doubt that I will ever try/spend the money on any other brand for glasses.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Brian D.

Try these...

Post by Brian D. »

If good 'ol George, Donald, and Cheney wear them... then there good enuf for everyone.

Or, you can get a pair of Costa Del Mar
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I hate to make anyone mad Viince, But I have been using Oakley Polarized sunglasses sense they first came out with them and I have never had a problem with the lenses or customer service. A matter a fact, I don't know of any other sunglass company out there that backs up their product like Oakley. Every time I have had a problem they have always taken care of it, from fixing the problem to completely replacing for a low fee or most of the time free. The Monster Dog, Straight Jacket, and Minutes are not sold as glasses with replaceable lenses. I know it makes it nice to be able to change lenses to match the conditions but you should of purchased the Flak or Half Jackets. Both of these come with several different lenses to match any condition. I personal use the half jackets with several sets of lenses and the monster dog as well as the straight jacket. You should be happy that they are willing to replace the lenses for you at a low cost ($80) and not make you purchase a brand new pair at $155.
j10b

Post by j10b »

Thats how it works with Warranty I had a request to them about it and what i got out of it was DO NOT!!!! SEND ANY LENSES with your glasses.

The lenses only cost 80 bucks like all the lenses do you just have to send in the frames. DO NOT send in lenses you will get them trashed.

Its not a bad company and they are actaully helping you as the fishing lenses are not available but on a case by case basis.
Just have a backup pair handy if you have list of tournaments in a row.

Again I had the same thing you did and was left VERY HAPPY.
GO OAKLEY.

I mean you are sending your frames and getting a new lense installed... I dont know what your problem is. And as long as you take out your lenses you will fine.
Again 80$ for a pair of $80 lenses is a decent fair deal dont you think?
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

they were a good company to deal with 10 years ago now its all about the money

I had some shades that had a life time warenty when I got them now they say you can just buy new 1's :roll:
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
j10b

Post by j10b »

you guys are kidding right? You spend 60k on a boat but buying a new pair of glasses every 10 years is too much? Sheesh. Try that will maui jim.
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

j10b wrote:you guys are kidding right? You spend 60k on a boat but buying a new pair of glasses every 10 years is too much? Sheesh. Try that will maui jim.
if someone sells me something with a lifetime deal yes I want what I paid for sunglass's forever or just tell me I have to buy new 1's every few years
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

its just like when I paid for a life time deal with Bassmaster's or North American fishing Mag
I really do think I should get it to the day I die or till there out of business
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

I believe it was last year that Sun Glass Hut (mall level stores, mall level policies and employees) bought Oakley
http://www.dnrnews.com/site/article.php?id=268

Their service has really declined since then.

Post by Guest »

Charlie wrote:I hate to make anyone mad Viince, But I have been using Oakley Polarized sunglasses sense they first came out with them and I have never had a problem with the lenses or customer service. A matter a fact, I don't know of any other sunglass company out there that backs up their product like Oakley. Every time I have had a problem they have always taken care of it, from fixing the problem to completely replacing for a low fee or most of the time free. The Monster Dog, Straight Jacket, and Minutes are not sold as glasses with replaceable lenses. I know it makes it nice to be able to change lenses to match the conditions but you should of purchased the Flak or Half Jackets. Both of these come with several different lenses to match any condition. I personal use the half jackets with several sets of lenses and the monster dog as well as the straight jacket. You should be happy that they are willing to replace the lenses for you at a low cost ($80) and not make you purchase a brand new pair at $155.
Charlie,

Try walking into any Oakley store and inquire about the Monster Dog's as though you're a new customer looking to purchase these. Then ask them about their lens customization available for the Monster Dog. The in-store help (if they've assembled any of the customized glasses -- i.e. not their first day on the job) will tell you that they can customize any one of a number of lenses for you with this model. They will also sell you the replaceable lenses and inform you that most of the models that they make have this feature. The cost is typically $50 - $80 depending on the lenses.

What's even worse is when you contact Oakley directly, speak with their customer service specifically about the Fishing Specific lenses and the interchangeability only to be mislead after the initial purchase.

Either way... for those of you interested in the fishing specific lenses be warned. You cannot swap out the lenses and the Customer Service department will not be straight with you.
andrade417

Post by andrade417 »

Vince,
Sorry to hear you had a poor experience with Oakley. You may have been misinformed at the store where you purchased your glasses. According to their website (http://oakley.com/pd/1236), it shows that the fishing specific lenses are NOT available for customization or individual sale. I, in no way find their information misleading.

Oakley has OUTSTANDING customer service AND the fishing specific lenses are awesome. You guys should check them out....

Roland
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

Vince, try the Sea Strikers in the Nuevo lens. They are some of the best I've used, extremely light in weight, and quite reasonable (around $40-$60). They also have a model with interchangeable lenses, and I believe they give you all four lens options!
Caveman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Image Image
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

This was cross-posted from the Northen board, and Garin Lee (Oakley National Account Manager) replied to the other post with this response:
Hello Vince,

I work for Oakley and I am one who was on the development of the fishing specific lens from the beginning. I am sorry that you had some issues with the Monster Dog sunglasses but I also want to clear up some miss information that I have read. I was directed to this forum by a rep. of mine that saw your post. What the deal is the deep blue and shallow blue lens do come in two models that have "true" intechangable lens. Those are the Half Jacket XLJ and the Flak jacket. The others Monster Dog, Straight Jacket and Square wire do not have what we consider a interchangable lens system. I do wish we had to offer replacment lens for you but at this time we are just keeping up with production on complete models and need all the lens for that demand. We will have replacment lens hopefully soon but they couldn't sell you something we do not offer at this time. That is what you have ran into on your discussions with our customer service. That is why they wanted you to send them in as a warranty item because they do have the lens as a warranty piece. What could have been done and should have been done is for you to have been offered to send the frames in only and pay to have the lens you wanted put in. We do not strech frames or do any other such thing. Please contact me at GarinL@oakley.com and I will be able to help you out more on this Vince.

Thanks,

Garin Lee
Oakley National Account Manager.
Looks like pretty good support from Oakley IMHO.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
JW Wheat

Post by JW Wheat »

Your absolutly right! I just got off the phone with Oakley about the same thing. I bought a pair of Straight Jacket Fishing Specific glasses with the shallow blue lens about three months ago straight from Oakley.com. Mine flew off my face the other day running down the lake. When I retrieved them they were scratched. $180.00 and they are not even scratch resistant. I called Oakley to get new lenses and was told they do not carry the replacement blue lenses. Maybe in the future, but they had a black iridium lens for $80.00. Wow! No thanks! I paid $180.00 for the blue lenses because that's what I wanted, and I am sure not going to fork out another $80.00 for something I don't want.

There nice glasses, but for the price you pay, you would think you would get better service.

Maybe it's time to look at Wiley X.

Cheaper and they are scratch resistant

Jon
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Dude, that is your fault for walking into a retail store and buying a pair of expensive sunglass without researching the details first. Go back and reread my previous post. I can tell you right now if you go to the Oakley website it tells you all of the specifics for all of the glasses. Which one's have spare lenses and which one's don't. It even goes as far to tell you what lenses are best for certain conditions and it shows you a sample. I still think Oakley is being cool to replace your lenses at a low cost. What is the problem? You said it yourself that they would replace them if you sent them in. Take care of it and stop bashing a great product and company. Oakley polarized sunglasses are by far the best that I have ever used. (And yes I have tried almost all of them). And if this means I have to spend $50-$80 to replace the lenses, then so be it. There are worth it.
Garin Lee

Post by Garin Lee »

Jon has been taken care of thru our customer service dept. and I am sure he is happy with the outcome. :wink:
j10b

Post by j10b »

andrade417 wrote:Vince,
Sorry to hear you had a poor experience with Oakley. You may have been misinformed at the store where you purchased your glasses. According to their website (http://oakley.com/pd/1236), it shows that the fishing specific lenses are NOT available for customization or individual sale. I, in no way find their information misleading.

Oakley has OUTSTANDING customer service AND the fishing specific lenses are awesome. You guys should check them out....

Roland
But they will sell you them if you just send in your glasses. So they are trying to provide them to the public just they are short on lenses.
JW Wheat

Post by JW Wheat »

Garin,

Thanks for taking care of my issues. When I contacted Oakley through the Oakley web site, I didn't realize I was dealing with sales. My appologies for speaking bad of Oakley customer care to soon.

Guys,

If you are having issues with Oakley Contact Garin Lee. He will get the ball rolling.

Jon
DL

Post by DL »

I had me a pair of them Kaenons...until that secret coating on the lenses started to peel off and the mfgr told me my one year warranty was up. Lets just say I now have multiple pairs of Oakleys...
"Feel the steel"
j10b

Post by j10b »

To reiterate. I wanted the Fishing specific and had a GREAT experience.
I dont see why people are bashing on Oakley when they are getting you the lense. They just ask for you to send in the Frames to make it official. They Are in fact selling you a limited lense that is currently not for resale but are letting you get a pair.

Heck If I was them I'd keep it close to the vest too, there are enough posers out there as it is.
Bassnfly

Post by Bassnfly »

I have worn many glasses and the Oakley Shallow Blue lenses just cuts through the water like butter. I can see just about anything with them. I can't tell you how many times I have pointed out fish to someone and they say "where?" And then i hand them my glasses, "right there" "oh wow yeah i see em" they work really well. Was out on a guided day fly fishing for Tarpon. I said to the guide dang look at that shark over there 2 o'clock 1 hundreds yards. He was even standing higher and i had to trade him glasses. As far as Oakley there are glasses made for lens changes at home and there are those that are not. I have the Flat Jacket XLJ with the shallow blue iridium polarized and they are very easy to switch but never will. Those lenses are like x ray vision.
flipit

Post by flipit »

I am sort of a sunglass whore. I have Oakley as well as about 10 other brands. I love my Oakleys but they are not in my top 3 for when Im on the water. Like fishing rods and reels its about personal preference, and what works for your eyes. Perhaps that why I have so many pairs, they are tools just like my fishing rods. That said, Ive had good customer service from all the brands I own. Perhaps another pair of Oakleys is in my near future. :D
Fishing should be fun.
Dom

Post by Dom »

I am allergic to the sun I get bad head aches if I don't wear sunglasses in the sun and seeing how I spend a lot of time outside at work and on the water I take my sunglasses very seriously . I have used just about all the brands over the years , ( I'm a big sight fisherman as well) I have dropped as much as $400.00 on a pair of Oakley Juliets to 100.00 bucks on Wiley X and what I have found is you can not beat the Costa Del Mar I am not sponsored or affiliated in anyway with them other then I love their product . I wear the 400c hammerheads (blue mirror lens) and I am amazed every time I am on the water with them in low light or blue bird skies I can see in the water no need to switch out lens. They are well made and their customer service is awesome! I have had my current hammerheads going on 2 years I wear them at work and on the water not one scratch on the lens and they are still taking a beating. Check em out!!!
Tight Lines Dom
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

The very best lenses are optical quality GLASS not POLYCARBONITE, Glass lenses are very sratch resistant as well, Costas, and Ocean Waves are the best I've used thru the years, never clean polarised glasses with any cleaner with ammonia like windex it will delaminate the lense. Glass lenses used to be heavy now lighter lenses are made like Costas s glass and the 580g are fine lenses.
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!