2014 ISE Show Observations

StogieMan

2014 ISE Show Observations

Post by StogieMan »

Well........i went to the show again this year; lots to look at and lots of activities.
I do enjoy looking at Bass boats although there are so few to compare anymore.
The tank presentations are lots of fun and educational.

I saw throughout the show many of the " Save the Delta & Stop the Tunnels" banners i various booths.

One of the things I always get is an annual licesence and next to the DFG booth (much to my surprice) was a large display from a conserative group that was promoting the tunnels.

I thought is was clever of them to use this show to promote their agenda, and frankly they appeared to be very organized. kind of discouraging actually!
Stogie.
Revoke36

Re: 2014 ISE Show Observations

Post by Revoke36 »

I was disappointed in the show. No good deals worth the drive, $15 admission and $10 parking permit. I hope there's better deals going on next year otherwise I won't attend.
Support 81
fishnhunt21

Post by fishnhunt21 »

Revoke36 wrote:I was disappointed in the show. No good deals worth the drive, $15 admission and $10 parking permit. I hope there's better deals going on next year otherwise I won't attend.

Agreed! Kinda disappointing. Didn't seem like there as many vendors as in years past.
kb

Post by kb »

Hey guys were are listening give us some input what kind of deals do you want to see, what are you looking for? There were many opportunities for discount coupons including here on WB.com, groupon, sportsexpos.com etc....

Who do you want to see on the tank? Who did we miss bringing this year? We had Dobyns, Barrack, Gutierrez, Jimmy Reese, Bub Tosh, Ken Mah, Jason Borofka, and four guys from the Elite Series John Murray, Chris Zaldain, Brandon Palaniuk and Ish Monroe.....FLW pro Cody Meyer....we had Butch Brown scheduled but he would up having a back injury and couldn't make it up..........

total number of vendors actually up from last year, same number of retailers as always and a few companies selling right from the booth with special show deals.

Make us a list to go after next year who did you expect to see that wasn't there this year?

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

fishnhunt21 wrote:
Revoke36 wrote:I was disappointed in the show. No good deals worth the drive, $15 admission and $10 parking permit. I hope there's better deals going on next year otherwise I won't attend.

Agreed! Kinda disappointing. Didn't seem like there as many vendors as in years past.
In the past I have been one to have the same criticism , the expense of admission/ parking vs. the value or return on that investment has been hard to rationalize. The way I look at it today is different, meaning you will get out of the show based on what you put forth. The contacts you can make are huge, the fishing tips are abundant and the amount of knowledge under one roof is not found anywhere else..

I look at the tackle dealers as a neccesary evil, people expect to be able to buy tackle so they are there.
For my tackle purchases I have my favorite places that are both brick and mortar and web based, neither of the dealers that were present are on my personal list.

Furthermore, if you are at a manufacturers booth and see something that is a "must have" those tackle dealer are the only place (on site) that you can buy it and take it home..

My issue was the promotion of the Delta pipeline plan. I would think that of all places this was the last Place i would see something like this.
Stogie
kb

Post by kb »

I can agree with all of that Stogie and more retailers would be awesome for sure. Many of the ones that are in there have done the show for years and have their priority space and will be back because the show works for them and they make money....hopefully you guys see stuff that you purchase throughout the year and with today's technology you can probably buy it sitting in on a seminar!!!

Thanks
Kent
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
Jeff Jewell

Post by Jeff Jewell »

I thought it was a good show, if I was into duck hunting it would have been a great show..
Awesome deals at the R2S booth, huge raffle at the RB bass booth. Tons of different seminar speakers.
I don't really care about duck hunting or fly fishing so I sort of just hang out in the back fishing section, and that's fine with me... There are several sources for discount or even complementary tickets if you look around. I know RB Bass had a giveaway contest going....
If you haven't seen Bobby Barrack give a seminar, that in itself is worth the price of admission, and I'm not a big seminar fan....
The show will give you back what you put into it... You want to learn about frog fishing? Somewhere Bobby is standing in a booth, go talk to him... Wondering how to catch them in Folsom ( if there water ) , Kent Brown is standing in a booth... Trying to figure out what the best rod is for throwing a senko, Gary Dobyins is there.. All these guys are there to talk to you....if you just pass thru once and look from the isle, yeah you'll be disappointed. Mingle a little, talk to folks and have some fun, heck you might just learn something..
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Let me preface that I enjoy the show and always try to support those involved, regardless of any returns.... I'm just glad we have people here who commit themselves to put all this together. Anyway, I would like to see an isle (or two) of the smaller ma-n-pa shops who otherwise couldn't afford the costs to run a booth on their own. If we get several of these type of shops to pitch in together (one, two or three shops to a booth space), maybe it could become affordable for them to participate. I'd like to see an avenue or program where a sponsorship can be provided to help these ma-n-pop shops bring their products in and to help facilitate their market exposure and product circulation.

For the fish tank, I'd like to see the hooking mechanics of various hooks and rigs, just like NuTech Lures does with their dowels. I want to see what hook "hooks" the fish and what hook simply slips out of a fish's' mouth.

Now, on to the gun show! 8)

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
hswarts

Post by hswarts »

Thanks Kent for bringing these Pros into one place in Sacramento. I agree with the positive comments found in this string and any additions to the show are merely gravy in my way of thinking. Frankly, folks I don't know if you saw the same show I did? There were at least 4 Bass Elite pros who are currently at the top of their profession giving some really great advise on how to fish waters all over the U.S. including the West. I saw 4 other Professional Bass Pros who are regional but can fish in any tournament in the U. S. at any time. These are nationally known professionals as well. These guys will actually stop to answer your fishing questions and hands on show you how to rig a unique new lure or technique for example. You might think that its easy to acquire this much expertise, skill and knowledge but it's not easy. I know Pros from the S. E., N. E and the West and I travel plenty all the time talking with people in the fishing industries and I continue to learn something new at the ISE. The ISE show gets all these Pros at one place and one time. Plus all the other stuff such as boats, electronics, new tackle and other fishing industry related which I am interested. I think it was a great show and I will look forward to next year too. Many thanks to them all!
Revoke36

Post by Revoke36 »

KB, thanks for expressing your interest for feedback. Your end of the show was great. In fact, a huge improvement from the previous year, which was awesome as well! Kudos on the tank. My motivation for attending the show is great deals on tackle. I need to justify my expenses to get to the show and spend money. I want to support the industry that I love. Selection seemed narrow and sales were lackluster compared to previous years. Just more of the same that I can find locally and dont have to pay for parking, gas, admission etc. I suppose I'm looking for black friday type sales. Some advertising on screaming deals would build hype and would make me want to stuff my pockets with cash. I only bought a Simms shirt and hat which was at full retail. Now add in my expenses that got me to the booth and I now paid 110%. Thanks for hearing us and I commend you on what is a sublime event otherwise.
Support 81
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

KB,

great job and thanks very much :) RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I have been taking my grandson for 5 years now. He enjoys the youth activities and I thank all of those that provide their time to introduce kids to something other than video games. Unfortunately, he doesn't like to sit and listen to the speakers. I have managed to get to listen to some when his Dad joined us, and I find it very valuable. I do enjoy West Coast Pros more than East as they are in tune to our waters. I didn't get to see any this year, but had to show him the big bass Cooch mentioned.
I enjoyed walking through all the Alaska and Canada booths as someday i want to do that. I was able to get my questions answered from the Lowrance booth about which equipment I need as I am about to upgrade my electronics. I only purchased some weights from Danny Miller, and other than buying lunch, I walked out empty handed this year. A first. So, in reflection, even though I had money to buy, nada. Wanted a rod, but couldn't find what I wanted or couldn't make up my mind.
So, I enjoyed the show and will keep driving up from Fresno. I did seem a bit less this year, though.
Keep it up.

Morgan
BS'r

Post by BS'r »

Thought the show was good. Went on Saturday to see Barrack, he's great every year. (and don't leave while he talking) Nice to see some old friends and talk to some of the younger anglers.

Kids from Vista HS?(think that was the name) in Sac area sure knew a lot about our sport and like to watch vids vs post on WB. Good to see the passion when you asked them about their favorite technique.

I like the fishing events much better than the 3-5 electronic show my partners do in the west.